JJZFL

2019 Preseason Thread

33 minutes ago, LaVar said:

If his shot starts to fall. He would move the bar. His success and impact is directly tied in with his jump shot. The more shots he makes. The more he can do on the court and setup others. The less shots he makes. The more teams will pack the paint and the less he can be on the court. This is why I am so hard on him finding a rhythm and taking shots now, because I want him to move the bar and do well. 

I still disagree. His success isn't going to be measured by shooting. It's going to be measured by how often he can get to the rim and finish/facilitate

You can be great with below average shooting. Two of the last 3 MVPs were lead "guards" who were terrible shooters. 

Wall, DeRozan, jrue holiday, Ben Simmons are bad shooters with varying degrees of success as lead guards. 

Shooting isn't going to make or break him. Overall offensive efficiency is. 

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Really? How many games did he play with Davis? Also injuries played a big part of Payton’s last year. Hey Lavar, you will get bashed anytime you say anything positive about Payton on here. Just saying. 

If you break down his games exclusively with Davis before he announced his trade demand and after he announced his trade demand there's still not a considerable difference in his stats. 

As far as Markelle is playing right now, he looks a little overwhelmed, hopefully it is just getting used to new teammates, coach, etc. his shot is so much different than his college days, it is going to take quite a bit of time before he gains the confidence in it like he used to have. If ever. I hope he does, if he can get that swagger back on the court then watch out!  Fingers crossed!

4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

If you break down his games exclusively with Davis before he announced his trade demand and after he announced his trade demand there's still not a considerable difference in his stats. 

Just on a straight line projection w/o any other metrix involved, what do you think Fultz's numbers will be at the end of season?(considering he's healthy for the majority of season) Just PPG/RB/Assists. I say 10-5-5. What say you?

1 hour ago, TRoss43 said:

I appreciate your points. Defense prowess of a PG is somewhat subjective because they switch so much .There were games where Payton's on-ball defense was excellent. Again, a PG's defensive effectiveness is not as obvious as guys in the post. Also, your last statement was that he was terrific getting to the basket tonight. Payton too was terrific at getting to the basket. You actually have to be able to finish for it to matter. Payton was sub-par there and Fultz(small sample) has been too. I got hammered pretty good for my Payton comp and have heard several times that they are completely different players.  Completely different? Really? Payton had them same type of honeymoon period on here when everyone wanted to believe that he was our PG of the future. I'll take it a step further. Had Payton played with this current Magic talent, I believe his numbers would be as good/better than Fultz's numbers will be. I hope I'm wrong and if I am, i'll gladly admit it.  I do appreciate comments and respect yours/others opinions on this.

Payton's number with Orlando was roughly 10-4-6. I'm going to predict that Fultz's numbers after this yr. will be 10-5-5. Solid enough numbers for a back-up PG but if you read all the glowing commentary about Fultz on here, I think it's safe to say that people don't think they are looking at a guy who will just put up solid back-up numbers. He was totally worth a shot in terms of what the front office packaged to get him. I just don't think he's the piece that moves Orlando into the upper eschelon of the Eastern conf. I believe that piece was already on the roster. 3 pieces actually~AG,JI and MB. Their individual growth will determine how far the Magic climb in conference for the next several years. I also believe that had the F.O. not resigned Vuc, this whole growth curve would've been severely hampered. He is still the "glue guy" on this team because of his ability to keep our offense moving. Bamba, I believe will become that guy, but he's not yet. With the range that both Bamba/Vuc possess, I would like to see these two on the court together more this year. Bamba can protect paint and minimize Vuc's weakness on that front. A lineup of DJ/TRoss/AG/Vuc/Bamba could be very potent on both ends.

I think you're being myopic and that really explains the disconnect here because we're not really discussing fultz in terms of what he's going to do in November or April, but what he could be over the next 9 years. 

I would consider 10-5-5 off the bench for a playoff team on something north of 41% shooting overall a resounding success for year one for fultz. 

I would consider 10-5-5 off the bench post all star break in 2021 to be a disappointment. 

2 minutes ago, TRoss43 said:

Just on a straight line projection w/o any other metrix involved, what do you think Fultz's numbers will be at the end of season?(considering he's healthy for the majority of season) Just PPG/RB/Assists. I say 10-5-5. What say you?

It's hard to say without knowing his role or our teams success. 

10-5-5 over something like 68 games playing 22 mpg and at least a handful of games where he shows elite scoring potential would be awesome. 

10-5-5 on a team with a bunch of injuries where he plays 33 mpg over 44 games and we won 35 games would be not as good. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I still disagree. His success isn't going to be measured by shooting. It's going to be measured by how often he can get to the rim and finish/facilitate

You can be great with below average shooting. Two of the last 3 MVPs were lead "guards" who were terrible shooters. 

Wall, DeRozan, jrue holiday, Ben Simmons are bad shooters with varying degrees of success as lead guards. 

Shooting isn't going to make or break him. Overall offensive efficiency is. 

:( I dont agree with your comps. Jrue is a average league 3 pt shooters. He even had years of 39% shooting from three. Fultz is not as explosive as Wall or Westbrook. He is not as big as  the Greek Freak, derozan, or Simmons. (Derozan is not even a point guard.) He could be rondo. If I am being picky and reaching for a guard that can't shoot but does anything else. I do believe his success, on the magic with the bigs and players we have, will be tied to his shooting. I think his shot will come around. I just can not see why it sucks, so bad. It was respectable in college and close to deadly. I am chocking it up to rust and preying I am right. If not, the payton comp that TRoss had was closer than the ones you just picked.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LaVar said:

:( I dont agree with your comps. Jrue is a average league 3 pt shooters. He even had years of 39% shooting from three. Fultz is not as explosive as Wall or Westbrook. He is not as big as  the Greek Freak, derozan, or Simmons. (Derozan is not even a point guard.) He could be rondo. If I am being picky and reaching for a guard that can't shoot but does anything else. I do believe his success, on the magic with the bigs and players we have, will be tied to his shooting. I think his shot will come around. I just can not see why it sucks, so bad. It was respectable in college and close to deadly. I am chocking it up to rust and preying I am right. If not, the payton comp that TRoss had was closer than the ones you just picked.  

I think the comp should be Eric Bledsoe with better passing ability— a bit lazy due to the Bucks connection, but a big, strong guard who’s good at getting into the paint and gets after it on defense, while consistently hovering around 31-34% from three over his career.

9 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I think you're being myopic and that really explains the disconnect here because we're not really discussing fultz in terms of what he's going to do in November or April, but what he could be over the next 9 years. 

I would consider 10-5-5 off the bench for a playoff team on something north of 41% shooting overall a resounding success for year one for fultz. 

I would consider 10-5-5 off the bench post all star break in 2021 to be a disappointment. 

I would agree. I look at fultz like a rookie because he only played 33 games. 10/5/5 would be good for a rookie. Though I would like a little higher than 41% shooting from FG range. 

7 minutes ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

I think the comp should be Eric Bledsoe with better passing ability— a bit lazy due to the Bucks connection, but a big, strong guard who’s good at getting into the paint and gets after it on defense, while consistently hovering around 31-34% from three over his career.

If I am being serious about it. His real comp, with no shooting, is Rod Strickland. He plays with size and can pass.