JJZFL

2019 Preseason Thread

3 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Jaylen and Tatum are DESTROYING Fournier and Augustin. Just completely different levels of athleticism. This isn't FIBA, where Fournier can look great.

Our athletic guys don't have the b-ball skills (yet). AG, Isaac, etc.

I don’t know how much of it really is differences in athleticism— I think Fournier and Augustin are just playing really bad basketball right now. 

Gordon and Isaac need to be complementary guys, and with Augustin and Fournier playing the way they are, it’s asking Gordon and Isaac to be the 1st and 2nd options on offense. Not going to be successful that way

1 hour ago, LaVar said:

there is no way he is a A or b. C+ at best, if you are looking at the overall game. I do like his energy. I do like is defense. I do like his creative handle. BUT there has not been a B+ or A game yet. You need to set the bar a little higher. He has not arrived yet. There is a lot of work yet. I do like him being on the court, but he is not showing starter level play yet. 

If he was playing at B or A level,  their would be no question who the start is for the team. For now, it is still DJ. Fultz has been ok. I would give him a C for effort, playmaking, and D. 

BTW, I dont think you know what the coaches plan for him is yet. During the flow of the game, I would think the coach would encourage him to shot when open. 

I’m pretty sure the coaches plan isn’t to come in and start “gunning “.

Just now, jmmagicfan said:

I’m pretty sure the coaches plan isn’t to come in and start “gunning “.

It is also not to pass on open shots. 

1 minute ago, LaVar said:

It is also not to pass on open shots. 

But your whole post wasn’t about passing up shots, it was that he should come in gunning. There’s a huge difference.

4 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

But your whole post wasn’t about passing up shots, it was that he should come in gunning. There’s a huge difference.

some of the post i wrote was a joke, in my kevin heart voice. But this was my first paragraph. 

"You are too good of a player. I rather you go 1 for 15 shooting. Shooting every open shot you get, than for you to pass up another open shot... The next time Trae Young or any player stands at the free throw line, about 5 feet away, your better pull that freakin trigger, or if I'm the coach, I am benching you. ", my Fultz's: Heart to Heart Post

I did say open shot. I also latter stated, after initiating the offense and get the ball back. 

7 hours ago, LaVar said:

He needs to gun. It is preseason. They can suck on this smoke because I am launch every shot. No questions. No hesitation. If he initiated the offense and the ball swings back to him and he is open. Gun. If my man is 5 ft away. Gun. You have my permission.

No, this post was strictly about “gunning”.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

No, this post was strictly about “gunning”.

as a guard you must shot when your open and the man is leaving open by 5 feet. You need to shot the open shot every time. Especially in preseason. Not sure what you dont understand. I am not telling him to shot when challenged or from half court. I am telling him to shot when wide open. You needs to gun or shot freely when that wide open. 

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm a pretty big MCW defender but the player fultz is today is better than the player MCW is today. 

That hypothetical is unfairly stacked against fultz because you're using nebulous criteria to create a situation where he's third place. 

You're giving fultz 3 preseason games worth of evaluation which is problematic to begin with (because look up and down our preseason team averages and tell me how many statistics are representative of what a player is projected to do this year) but you're looking at MCW and augustin through the context of their performance over the last few months of the previous season. 

If you were to remove all context and just judge all 3 by the preseason performances fultz isn't in third place. 

If you were to add in context and judge all 3 by more than the preseason you have to account for projections of improvement for fultz's numbers based on an increase of experience and you have to add in the context that MCW was out of the league and unwanted before we scooped him up to play a very important but well defined role and in that role he was among the least efficient offensive players in the NBA. Considerably less efficient than fultz in Philly. 

I think at some point you are just going to have to trust what you see with Fultz. At this point, he's not very good and will not move the needle for this team if he doesn't get much better. Its not hard to see when you watch with an objective eye. I want him to succeed and the Magic need him to succeed. I still maintain that people want to believe in something that isn't there. The Sixers don't dump him for a song and dance if it was just a matter of him getting healthy. They cut bait because he never flashed for them. Oh and I enjoy the respectful way you discuss opposing viewpoints. This certainly isn't personal towards Fultz or anyone on here. For any Vuc haters on here, tonights game was a microcosm of how this team would have struggled offensively had he not of been re-signed. History will look favorably on his stint with Orlando.

2 minutes ago, TRoss43 said:

I think at some point you are just going to have to trust what you see with Fultz. At this point, he's not very good and will not move the needle for this team if he doesn't get much better. Its not hard to see when you watch with an objective eye. I want him to succeed and the Magic need him to succeed. I still maintain that people want to believe in something that isn't there. The Sixers don't dump him for a song and dance if it was just a matter of him getting healthy. They cut bait because he never flashed for them. Oh and I enjoy the respectful way you discuss opposing viewpoints. This certainly isn't personal towards Fultz or anyone on here. For any Vuc haters on here, tonights game was a microcosm of how this team would have struggled offensively had he not of been re-signed. History will look favorably on his stint with Orlando.

"At some point" isn't the preseason.