JJZFL

2019 Preseason Thread

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

It's bad. We need more time to see how effective it is. 

Do you feel that it’s because of his injury? Or more because it’s a mechanical issue from not shooting for a while?

Mo bamba had one of those bad games that cost us early last year. He needs to work on effort and motor. These areas are hard to improve on. Normally, you either have it or you dont. This is one of the reason kim was better last year than Mo. Coach will have a big decision, because Kim is better than Mo today. But Mo needs the reps to develop. The only thing Mo has done constantly for me is shoot.  He has surprised me in that area. He just is hot and cold too much. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Captain said:

Do you feel that it’s because of his injury? Or more because it’s a mechanical issue from not shooting for a while?

both. I think he needs to get rhythm back. I also think it is trusting the injury recovery. 

11 minutes ago, LaVar said:

he was 2 for 10 from the field. So it was the most shot he has taken in a year. I do agree. He needs to take every open shot to get comfortable - especially in preseason. 

vs 2017 summer league

he is not as comfortable as he was coming out of college. He is still very rusty. 

The 10 attempts doesn't really speak to his passiveness. They came within the flow of the offense where he'd get the ball back and have to do something with it with the shot clock dwindling which typically resulted in a mid range jumper 

When he was aggressive and decided he was going to call his own number and get into the paint he did and scored 4 points in consecutive plays. 

Fultz driving makes good things happen. 

5 minutes ago, Captain said:

We can't possibly know. 

10 minutes ago, LaVar said:

I agree. I hope it improves soon. We can not keep having every defense player in the paint because he keeps passing up OPEN looks. 

When you miss your first 3 fg attempts it kind of makes you not want to shoot anymore because you feel like you're hurting the team so I get it

1 minute ago, J-Mac said:

When you miss your first 3 fg attempts it kind of makes you not want to shoot anymore because you feel like you're hurting the team so I get it

but in the pros, you have to have a bad memory. because you may not get another open shot that possession. 24 sec clock. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LaVar said:

but in the pros, you have to have a bad memory. because you may not get another open shot that possession. 24 sec clock. 

18 sec left on the shot clock and you've already missed 3 fg don't shoot they're sagging off for a reason and you shooting just plays to their defense. Now 7 sec left and you're open pull it especially if it's a catch and shoot situation 

21 minutes ago, LaVar said:

Mo bamba had one of those bad games that cost us early last year. He needs to work on effort and motor. These areas are hard to improve on. Normally, you either have it or you dont. This is one of the reason kim was better last year than Mo. Coach will have a big decision, because Kim is better than Mo today. But Mo needs the reps to develop. The only thing Mo has done constantly for me is shoot.  He has surprised me in that area. He just is hot and cold too much. 

Effort seriously should NOT be an issue with Mo   I don’t understand and never will. When I played you played 100%, 100% of the time. If Mo had Isaac’s effort then he would be a stud, but I just don’t see it ever happening and thus a trade maybe in his future and for our sakes it should be before the league realizes this. It’s disappointing and it’s going to be a tough call for management. 

I haven't watched a preseason game yet but I never understood the effort narrative surrounding Bamba. Where/how exactly does he show a lack of effort? Are we confusing young player mistakes with effort? Are we expecting too much and becoming disappointed once he doesn't show what we expect?

I've always just seen a young kid who makes mistakes and is taking on the game as any normal young kid does. He isn't a star and it's unfair to hold him at a growth standard of one. 

4 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

I haven't watched a preseason game yet but I never understood the effort narrative surrounding Bamba. Where/how exactly does he show a lack of effort? Are we confusing young player mistakes with effort? Are we expecting too much and becoming disappointed once he doesn't show what we expect?

I've always just seen a young kid who makes mistakes and is taking on the game as any normal young kid does. He isn't a star and it's unfair to hold him at a growth standard of one. 

I dunno. He was great the first two games. Last night the entire team came out flat. 

Don't know if he was really an issue last night in particular. Fernando did get an offensive rebound over him which is probably fair to criticise him for. I'm just not sure you can call his entire play low effort. Maybe in the first half. Not the second though. 

It's not really fair to use Isaac as a benchmark though. 

3 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

When I say lack of Effort (for a big man), I mean this: I dont see the active hands, Showing big in the paint getting deflections and quick on rotation. When you close out or rotate, your hand is not high. You just through throw your hand low to cover there eyes (what?).  (he gave up a three this way last game.) You dont challenge shots like that when you are 7'1. I dont see you beating your man to the spot on the low post block.  I dont see you beating your man on the break to get dunks. Rotations are slow. Second effort on rebounds are not there. You dont achieve hassle stats like blocks, steals/deflections, rebounds and block outs (giving up rebounds).

What people need to remember. Mo bamba beat john wall and russell westbrooks in the speed test in the draft combine. There is no reason he cant beat the other big in transition constantly, if he had the motor. These are the things I watch for on the tape. 

He did great in game 2. He was horrible in game 3.

• Upvote 2