JJZFL

2019 Preseason Thread

We can't evaluate Fultz after 2 games considering he's played 33 games in 2 years. I see great handles, big body for D and awesome penetration. If he never becomes a great shooter he will certainly make others better and open for kick outs. We can't have all max contract guys, but as long as we have enough shooting, we will be fine. 

9 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Lol. I don't think that should be called an analysis. 

He is likely a sixer’s fan who is still grieving And wants nothing but failure. 

Btw, not all sixers fans are like that.

As long as he can hit free throws he has an advantage over Ball.

24 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

We can't evaluate Fultz after 2 games considering he's played 33 games in 2 years. I see great handles, big body for D and awesome penetration. If he never becomes a great shooter he will certainly make others better and open for kick outs. We can't have all max contract guys, but as long as we have enough shooting, we will be fine. 

Also. It is important to remember he might get knocked out again. 

There is a plausible scenario where his shooting form is an indication that his issue isn't resolved. 

But if we're assuming normal health he should be something in the realm of Reggie Jackson at worst

3 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

I don't think it is fair for you to say that. Completely different players. 

Fultz is a Very high IQ player and is 10 times better defender than Payton. 

Offensively, maybe the are not much different at the moment but yet again I think is unfair on your part to compare a full players offensive nba career to a 2 preseason game sample of Fultz. 

Chill..

Right now we all are grasping at something good to say about Fultz. I hope very much that he becomes a major force on this team. If he does, this team can compete with anyone in the East. Right now, if he was a FA out of college and people watched these first two games, nobody would be excited. The Payton comparison was in reference to how much of an impact he had on winning and how much I see Fultz having on winning. This team is much better than the teams that Payton played on and will win more w/wo Fultz. Fultz has a long way to go to just be as good as DJ, so maybe it's appropriate to pump the brakes a little. Anyway...JMO. He can certainly get better and I hope he does.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, TRoss43 said:

Right now we all are grasping at something good to say about Fultz. I hope very much that he becomes a major force on this team. If he does, this team can compete with anyone in the East. Right now, if he was a FA out of college and people watched these first two games, nobody would be excited. The Payton comparison was in reference to how much of an impact he had on winning and how much I see Fultz having on winning. This team is much better than the teams that Payton played on and will win more w/wo Fultz. Fultz has a long way to go to just be as good as DJ, so maybe it's appropriate to pump the brakes a little. Anyway...JMO. He can certainly get better and I hope he does.

We're not really grasping for anything. We're reviewing the player he is based on little things he does well which is something we can extrapolate into expectations going forward which is much more substantial than your point which seems to be "bad shooter=bad player". 

Your analysis is kind of weak because it's coming from a really shallow comparison. And we would be super excited about him if he was an udfa rookie (if not more excited because his performance wouldn't be burdened by a nebulous illness) because we'd be watching a dynamic young player make plays on both ends of the court. 

So again, fultz will be fine and a positive impact guy on this team if he pays good defense and can regularly get into the paint while drawing extra defenders. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We're not really grasping for anything. We're reviewing the player he is based on little things he does well which is something we can extrapolate into expectations going forward which is much more substantial than your point which seems to be "bad shooter=bad player". 

Your analysis is kind of weak because it's coming from a really shallow comparison. And we would be super excited about him if he was an udfa rookie (if not more excited because his performance wouldn't be burdened by a nebulous illness) because we'd be watching a dynamic young player make plays on both ends of the court. 

So again, fultz will be fine and a positive impact guy on this team if he pays good defense and can regularly get into the paint while drawing extra defenders. 

I get it. All good and I hope your extrapolation is correct and mine turns out to be wrong. There’s plenty to be excited about regardless. Our 2nd unit has a chance to be extremely good. Most 2nd units are one-sided on what they do well. I think this group will equally capable of defending and scoring. Bamba is gonna carry this team at times during the season if he stays healthy. Gordon looks extremely confident and may see a big move in status in this league. For the first time in a long time it seems as if this team were designed with an actual vision of a style it wants to play!

• Downvote 1

Right now, through 2 pre-season games and about 33 mins played, Fultz is Briscoe supreme (with sour cream and all the fixings) and this would be his “things just never really worked out” floor. That’s the best I can come up with.  Remember Briscoe? I was really starting to like that guy. 

10 hours ago, TRoss43 said:

Fultz is Peyton 2.0. His shot from distance is nowhere near being a reliable piece of his repertoire. I wanted to see something more than that in the first two games but objectively, it is what it is. This team is going to be formidable but Fultz will just be a 2nd unit guy that will give solid minutes and ball distribution. I don’t see much more and yes, I’m making this assessment after 2 pre-season games.

Manning?

9 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

I don't think it is fair for you to say that. Completely different players. 

Fultz is a Very high IQ player and is 10 times better defender than Payton. 

Offensively, maybe the are not much different at the moment but yet again I think is unfair on your part to compare a full players offensive nba career to a 2 preseason game sample of Fultz. 

Chill..

I do have to see him more before I call him better defender than anyone.... to be honest. 

13 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

It's going to be difficult balancing fultz's ability to really stand out when he's on the court with what his actual net production is.

Magic fans have had problems conceptualizing the difference between what a player does in a stretch on the court with who a player is most of the time. I can see that happening again with fultz. 

Or maybe he'll improve at a high rate leaving this discussion moot.

Basically, what I'm saying is, you don't need to be some basketball genius to see some sort of high level dynamism with fultz on the court. I have no doubt, assuming health, he's the point guard of the future and someone that's going to unlock this team's next gear.

But just like fans who said Isaac was already an elite defensive player last year after inconsistent stretches of great defensive play we need to understand that "starting point guard of the future" doesn't necessarily mean "starting point guard of November or April"

He might just be "starting point guard of October 2020 and dynamic inconsistent backup of now"

Or maybe the rust gets knocked off in the next two weeks and he's starting by Thanksgiving. I don't know. But we need to balance short term expectations

I agree. I think him starting will be based on his shooting. He will go as far as his shot goes. If he keeps pass up open shots and getting charge calls, he will remain a back up.