JJZFL

2019 Preseason Thread

15 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

More important that he is ok to take them and makes enough open ones. Not worried about his shooting at all. 

My biggest criticism of fultz so far in this small sample is he was always in attack mode when he was in the game. That's nice, but he ended up in dead ends a few times and forced shots or passes instead of backing out and resetting. 

That reminds me a ton of kemba when he was a freshmen in college. He'd operate full throttle at all times and Jim Calhoun had to spend a lot of time working that out of him. 

It's definitely the "right" kind of problem you want in a young point guard because it's a problem of aggression and you can teach that. We'll have to monitor the rate of improvement with that issue. It might be something we see him figure out in the short term or it might be a problem that isn't solved this year. 

I was really surprised when Weltman said that Fultz has only played in 33 games these last 2 years and is only 21 years old. He's just a pup. Not sure how he will turn out, but I can't say enough about how pleased I am with how the Magic have handled his situation. I am hoping coach Clifford is the perfect coach for him and can help him maximize his potential. 

8 hours ago, Forumreader said:

Oh God thinking payton as our pg was just sad 

thank God

Hard to believe the Knicks gave him a two year deal for $16 million.  

The guy is going to look like a rookie for the first two months, as long as he is a healthy rookie.

He should do fine, turnovers will be expected. As long as Dj and MCW are healthy he shouldn't be in pressure situations until later in the season.

This China thing is really something.  Daryl Morey sparks an international incident... what a world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Hard to believe the Knicks gave him a two year deal for $16 million.  

Players with Payton's ceiling will continue to get looks until the league is sure he's not going to reach it. 

That being said, although his second year is only guaranteed for 1 million, I don't really know who the Knicks were bidding against for that $8 million first year. It's like they just wanted to collect mid-sized contracts for salary matching in trades. 

4 minutes ago, ML6 said:

This China thing is really something.  Daryl Morey sparks an international incident... what a world.

I don't really understand what we're supposed to do with that. 

China is a ****ty country that commits a ton of human rights violations. 

China provides a ton of money to the league and is the most important venue for the growth of basketball as a sport. 

Hong Kong has operated as a special administrative zone since colonial times. 

China tried to change their permissions recently resulting in this current predicament.  

China freaks out anytime anyone recognises Taiwan. They do this stuff all the time and we (as a country) have a long history of playing both sides in that dispute so this is nothing new. 

So I'm not really sure what the league is supposed to do when the standing foreign policy stance of our government for decades is similar to the league response. 

13 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't really understand what we're supposed to do with that. 

China is a ****ty country that commits a ton of human rights violations. 

China provides a ton of money to the league and is the most important venue for the growth of basketball as a sport.  

Hong Kong has operated as a special administrative zone since colonial times.  

China tried to change their permissions recently resulting in this current predicament.  

China freaks out anytime anyone recognises Taiwan. They do this stuff all the time and we (as a country) have a long history of playing both sides in that dispute so this is nothing new. 

So I'm not really sure what the league is supposed to do when the standing foreign policy stance of our government for decades is similar to the league response.  

I think the issue is such a hotbed item within the NBA fan community because the league has, directly and indirectly, encouraged this perception of itself as a socially progressive organization since Silver's takeover.  They have made sure to publicly take the moral high road in high profile situations (Sterling, Charlotte bathrooms) and have encouraged players to speak out against injustices (gun violence, police brutality).  Note that the financial stakes in those cases were nonexistent compared to those involved with the China fiasco.

So while I agree that the league is in an extremely tough spot based on international governmental politics, their whole social justice platform kind of falls flat if they're not willing to speak out against an authoritarian regime when confronted directly with the scenario.  Which, again, I wouldn't expect them to for the reasons you mentioned.  But the point still stands. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ML6 said:

I think the issue is such a hotbed item within the NBA fan community because the league has, directly and indirectly, encouraged this perception of itself as a socially progressive organization since Silver's takeover.  They have made sure to publicly take the moral high road in high profile situations (Sterling, Charlotte bathrooms) and have encouraged players to speak out against injustices (gun violence, police brutality).  Note that the financial stakes in those cases were nonexistent compared to those involved with the China fiasco.

So while I agree that the league is in an extremely tough spot based on international governmental politics, their whole social justice platform kind of falls flat if they're not willing to speak out against an authoritarian regime when confronted directly with the scenario.  Which, again, I wouldn't expect them to for the reasons you mentioned.  But the point still stands. 

Speak out against any authoritative regime including our own!!!

9 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Yeah but I think there's a difference between taking a stance in domestic issues and trying to impact the policy of a foreign government. 

Also I don't think the league is obligated to take an all or nothing approach to social justice. They should be able to pick and choose when it makes sense to throw their weight behind an issue. 

At the same time it'd be pretty dumb for Morey to lose his job over this. I'll change my tune if that happens. 

I am so excited to watch our guys this year. This may be a piping hot take, but I'm really not ruling out a trip to the FINALS if EVERYTHING falls into place. Our depth is very deep. Aminu defending other benchs will make us stifling. JI and Bamba look poised for breakout year. AG is becoming THAT guy. Fultz COULD be #1 pick Fultz by March. Evan could bounce back. Do you guys agree or disagree? Obviously this is ABSOLUTE best case scenario for the season but I'm not ruling it out one bit

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, andrew2018022 said:

I am so excited to watch our guys this year. This may be a piping hot take, but I'm really not ruling out a trip to the FINALS if EVERYTHING falls into place. Our depth is very deep. Aminu defending other benchs will make us stifling. JI and Bamba look poised for breakout year. AG is becoming THAT guy. Fultz COULD be #1 pick Fultz by March. Evan could bounce back. Do you guys agree or disagree? Obviously this is ABSOLUTE best case scenario for the season but I'm not ruling it out one bit

I absolutely see this happening if everything works out like you stated above. Also health will be a big key again for us this year if we want to improve on last years performance. East is much more wide open now with both Lebron and Kawhi gone out West. 

• Upvote 1