JJZFL

2019 Preseason Thread

51 minutes ago, KRISH10 said:

Nevermind I found it.... Incase anyone else needs to know it’s

Oct 7 Detroit

Oct 9 Atlanta

Oct 17 Miami

I think I read somewhere that the Detroit telecast is going to be the Detroit feed.  I don't think it will include our announcers.  But I might have misunderstood.

2 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

We’ll see. From some of those 3s I wouldn’t have any confidence l but that fade-away on the baseline looked a lot more natural. I think that is how it will go: stuff in rhythm will look smooth while stuff he has time to think about will not look great

34 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

We’ll see. From some of those 3s I wouldn’t have any confidence l but that fade-away on the baseline looked a lot more natural. I think that is how it will go: stuff in rhythm will look smooth while stuff he has time to think about will not look great

More important that he is ok to take them and makes enough open ones. Not worried about his shooting at all. 

My biggest criticism of fultz so far in this small sample is he was always in attack mode when he was in the game. That's nice, but he ended up in dead ends a few times and forced shots or passes instead of backing out and resetting. 

That reminds me a ton of kemba when he was a freshmen in college. He'd operate full throttle at all times and Jim Calhoun had to spend a lot of time working that out of him. 

It's definitely the "right" kind of problem you want in a young point guard because it's a problem of aggression and you can teach that. We'll have to monitor the rate of improvement with that issue. It might be something we see him figure out in the short term or it might be a problem that isn't solved this year. 

33 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

More important that he is ok to take them and makes enough open ones. Not worried about his shooting at all. 

My biggest criticism of fultz so far in this small sample is he was always in attack mode when he was in the game. That's nice, but he ended up in dead ends a few times and forced shots or passes instead of backing out and resetting. 

That reminds me a ton of kemba when he was a freshmen in college. He'd operate full throttle at all times and Jim Calhoun had to spend a lot of time working that out of him. 

It's definitely the "right" kind of problem you want in a young point guard because it's a problem of aggression and you can teach that. We'll have to monitor the rate of improvement with that issue. It might be something we see him figure out in the short term or it might be a problem that isn't solved this year. 

Exactly. It’s like the opposite problem of having to motivate Payton to actually play with a motor 

6 hours ago, Gordon MVP said:

Exactly. It’s like the opposite problem of having to motivate Payton to actually play with a motor 

So much this. The reason I was down on Payton early was that he would look great for five minutes when he just seemed to say, "Screw it!" and enter attack mode, then he'd be timid and unsure for the rest of the game. When his defense didn't really improve (I think it may have gotten worse through the years), I knew he was a bust.

Markelle (again, extremely small sample size, but yeah) has exactly the problem you want to have with a young point guard. He's always looking to make something happen, and once the game slows down and he can think five moves ahead instead of two, he could be a monster.

21 minutes ago, Justin Jaudon said:

So much this. The reason I was down on Payton early was that he would look great for five minutes when he just seemed to say, "Screw it!" and enter attack mode, then he'd be timid and unsure for the rest of the game. When his defense didn't really improve (I think it may have gotten worse through the years), I knew he was a bust.

Markelle (again, extremely small sample size, but yeah) has exactly the problem you want to have with a young point guard. He's always looking to make something happen, and once the game slows down and he can think five moves ahead instead of two, he could be a monster.

I'm really interested to see if this carries over to the game tomorrow. 

Could have just been jitters. Could be who he is right now

16 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm really interested to see if this carries over to the game tomorrow. 

Could have just been jitters. Could be who he is right now

Some of it I think was chemistry— there was one or two times where he was trying to dump it off to someone after driving to the rim and the player wasn’t ready for the dump off. There was still some bad moments where he went to the basket two against one and he wasn’t putting himself in that great of a position to score, though.

27 minutes ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

Some of it I think was chemistry— there was one or two times where he was trying to dump it off to someone after driving to the rim and the player wasn’t ready for the dump off. There was still some bad moments where he went to the basket two against one and he wasn’t putting himself in that great of a position to score, though.

I'll take these problems any day of the week