Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Will AG Become Elite?

Will AG Become Elite?  

54 members have voted

  1. 1. Is this coming season the year AG becomes elite?

    • Yes... He will become a star
      17
    • No... but he will still improve
      29
    • No... he is what he is
      8


Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I don’t agree, which is why I posted the stats. It doesn’t seem logical to expect more from a 23 year old Gordon than a 23 year old Leonard or Oladipo, but that’s what people do all the time. Putting it another way, should we have written off the others while they were only 23 years old? While I’m not certain Gordon will become a star, I’m not betting against it, either. Hope that makes sense.

Yeah I mean he could end up being one. I’d be an complete idiot to write him off at 23. He has the work ethic. I just don’t see a number 1 guy. Granted we never made him number 1 for a full season but when we have, it’s mixed results. Mainly because his offensive skill set isn’t advanced enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

The other nauseating feeling is that I believe Gordon would have been developed much better on a team like San Antonio. The amount of turnover in coaching our young players have endured is tragic. I’m hoping Cliff sticks for a while.

This might be what we all have overlooked.  While I do not think Gordon is another Leonard (Leonard is a better shooter) because shooting limits Gordon's ability to play SF, how much of an advantage did Leonard have playing with guards like Parker and Ginoboli.  Way better than what we had.  Add the Spurs system to the equation and that had to help.  Surprisingly Gordon's stats vs Leonard's stats are fairly equivilant up to the age of 23.  I do not think Gordon has hit his peak and will continue to grow.  If he gets a good pair of guard's who knows what his ceiling is.  Could be pretty high.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Originalticketholder said:

If he gets a good pair of guard's who knows what his ceiling is.  Could be pretty high.

Good point. I also think our overcommitment to EP held us back for years.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:43 PM, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Yea, pretty much were I stand. He has all the tools and work ethic but I'm not sure if our style will ever lend itself to him obtaining the numbers needed to reach the level of elite or recurring all star. 

If he were an All-Star he would be dictating the style, not vice versa. Its like when Dwight Howard during interview said "I want to be a closer, like Kobe Bryant". Well then be a closer. Don't talk about it and whine that its not happening. Prove you're a closer and be the  ****ing closer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, magicblue said:

If he were an All-Star he would be dictating the style, not vice versa. Its like when Dwight Howard during interview said "I want to be a closer, like Kobe Bryant". Well then be a closer. Don't talk about it and whine that its not happening. Prove you're a closer and be the  ****ing closer

That's not really how this works...but I get what you're saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gordon is probably close to being what he is but I would have said the same thing about oladipo going into his first year in Indiana. Millsap wasn't a star until year 8. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Gordon is probably close to being what he is but I would have said the same thing about oladipo going into his first year in Indiana. Millsap wasn't a star until year 8. 

 

because he made his first all star team in year 8?

so did Vooch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we too often associate "star" with elite scorer. 

In my mind, Aaron Gordon is the type of guy you HAVE to have to get deep in the playoffs - high IQ, high motor, high work ethic, athletic defender, unselfish, with a good jumper. He's the "Shawn Marion" of this team, only with a better natural jump-shot. 

With that being said, the only thing holding Gordon back from "star status" and trying to get 25 PPG is how unselfish he chooses to be. He picks good shots and doesn't force it, and seems to be happy getting his teammates involved. If he never gets star status but stays this way, I'll be happy. Too many shot-happy guys who don't play the other side of the ball. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made mention of pretty much this same concept back during the series against Toronto, and there are a lot more than just those three other guys to compare him to. I like those guys specifically because they are the prototype for guys who came out of college with a lot of upside but were incredibly raw on offense. That is what we knew about Gordon coming out of college. So far he's done just about the best you could hope for from a player with that profile. Like Kawhi and Vic, Gordon had a lot of things he needed to learn to do when he got into the league, but his overall talent and work ethic (again, like Kawhi and Vic) have caused him to add things and become a little closer to great player every year.

 

In my opinion, Gordon is missing one thing to become elite: consistent stop and pop or even step back jumper. If he gets that, his quickness and athleticism makes him very hard to guard. He doesn't have to be a terrific ball-handler if he can do that. He's shown he can out-muscle and out-hustle smaller guys for buckets in the lane, if teams try to play him small. He's shown he can out-quick bigger guys when they try to put a bigger 4 on him. What he struggles with is beating athletic 4s. The step-back, or even the Kawhi-level stop and pop helps that tremendously. Adding that shot causes these athletic 4s to guard him differently. He would draw more fouls because they would have to guard him closer, or he would hit shots over-top of them if they lay off. He's shown flashes of that shot, but he's got to stop fading so far back with it.

 

It's by no means a given. Maybe he starts to plateau now. But I'm certainly not betting against him. Dude could absolutely still be elite. It's just a matter of does he have that shot in him.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 8:47 PM, Justin Jaudon said:

I made mention of pretty much this same concept back during the series against Toronto, and there are a lot more than just those three other guys to compare him to. I like those guys specifically because they are the prototype for guys who came out of college with a lot of upside but were incredibly raw on offense. That is what we knew about Gordon coming out of college. So far he's done just about the best you could hope for from a player with that profile. Like Kawhi and Vic, Gordon had a lot of things he needed to learn to do when he got into the league, but his overall talent and work ethic (again, like Kawhi and Vic) have caused him to add things and become a little closer to great player every year.

 

In my opinion, Gordon is missing one thing to become elite: consistent stop and pop or even step back jumper. If he gets that, his quickness and athleticism makes him very hard to guard. He doesn't have to be a terrific ball-handler if he can do that. He's shown he can out-muscle and out-hustle smaller guys for buckets in the lane, if teams try to play him small. He's shown he can out-quick bigger guys when they try to put a bigger 4 on him. What he struggles with is beating athletic 4s. The step-back, or even the Kawhi-level stop and pop helps that tremendously. Adding that shot causes these athletic 4s to guard him differently. He would draw more fouls because they would have to guard him closer, or he would hit shots over-top of them if they lay off. He's shown flashes of that shot, but he's got to stop fading so far back with it.

 

It's by no means a given. Maybe he starts to plateau now. But I'm certainly not betting against him. Dude could absolutely still be elite. It's just a matter of does he have that shot in him.

Very good breakdown, I’m with you. Take my up upvote 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×