Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Will AG Become Elite?

Will AG Become Elite?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Is this coming season the year AG becomes elite?

• Yes... He will become a star
    • No... but he will still improve
    • No... he is what he is

23 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Yea, pretty much were I stand. He has all the tools and work ethic but I'm not sure if our style will ever lend itself to him obtaining the numbers needed to reach the level of elite or recurring all star. 

Sad but true

And it's not just about numbers, he'd actually play better and contribute more to the team if we played uptempo.

My hope is AG continues to have the opportunity to run point with the second unit, as his assist numbers really jumped under Clifford. Additionally, I hope he continues to work on his iso play, as far too often he tries to drive through people. Still his ceiling is very high and I’m crossing my fingers that he’ll grow into a star in Orlando.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

My hope is AG continues to have the opportunity to run point with the second unit, as his assist numbers really jumped under Clifford. Additionally, I hope he continues to work on his iso play, as far too often he tries to drive through people. Still his ceiling is very high and I’m crossing my fingers that he’ll grow into a star in Orlando.

Honestly the moment AG starts drawing fouls in the lane is the day he becomes a force. His biggest weakness to me at this point is taking advantage of his penetration without a clear shot to the basket. At times he did a horrible job at creating contact once under the rim. At the same time calls were ignored when they should have been made. 

I take back what I said about our style because if AG is able to conjure up 4-6 more points on average at the FT line the sky is the limit with or without Vuch. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

4 hours ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Honestly the moment AG starts drawing fouls in the lane is the day he becomes a force. His biggest weakness to me at this point is taking advantage of his penetration without a clear shot to the basket. At times he did a horrible job at creating contact once under the rim. At the same time calls were ignored when they should have been made. 

I take back what I said about our style because if AG is able to conjure up 4-6 more points on average at the FT line the sky is the limit with or without Vuch. 

Nice observations! I am not sure IF he is working on it, but that is why I said I hoped he is working on a go-to shot like the step-back jumper. It minimizes the dribble and allows him to use his awesome athletic skill to create the separation he needs. He is beginning to show some touch on his 3 pointers and FT, so maybe that will translate. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Just a regular Magic fan said:

First of all, excellent post Soul Bro! I voted YES, but I miss read the question and didn't see the part about this year. I think eventually he will become elite and this year we will see a significant improvement. His 3 point shot was really coming along towards the end of last year and I think he will build on that and maybe even come up with a step-back jumper to add to his arsenal. He's driven and putting in the work. It may be another year or two so I hope we can stay patient.

Oh, I should add that I am also including his defensive prowess. That should get better too. I think everything should be included when we are evaluating guys.

His biggest weakness is his Fadeaway on all his shots... If he emulated Leonard who very rarely jumps and fades-away to make his shot, he would be more efficient and probably break the 20pt average. he needs to jab step back ala harden or leonardinstead of spin fadeaway.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What is a star exactly? All star? There are many non-elite all stars each year.  If we’re equating elite to star then those expectations are unrealistic at this point.  He’s still trying to figure out how to be a #3 on a decent team.  He’s got a ways to go to be elite.  That said he should still be getting better.  

1 hour ago, Magicman28 said:

If he was elite, think we’d know by now.

Maybe an all star appearance or two.

I don’t agree, which is why I posted the stats. It doesn’t seem logical to expect more from a 23 year old Gordon than a 23 year old Leonard or Oladipo, but that’s what people do all the time. Putting it another way, should we have written off the others while they were only 23 years old? While I’m not certain Gordon will become a star, I’m not betting against it, either. Hope that makes sense.

• Upvote 2

The other nauseating feeling is that I believe Gordon would have been developed much better on a team like San Antonio. The amount of turnover in coaching our young players have endured is tragic. I’m hoping Cliff sticks for a while.