Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

30 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

I don't have any interest in Russell unless it is in a Lou Williams, 6th man, scoring punch off the bench. 

I think last year was a bit of a anomaly and I rather not pay him a bunch of money since he doesn't get to the line or pass very well. 

He averaged 7 assists per game last year and had a 2.26:1 assist to turnover ratio. He was in the top 15 in potential assists. In what universe is he not a good passer?

Dlo is 23 year old all star and Probably hall of fame. Could change the winning culture in Orlando fot 15 years. Cant count on Fultz but if returns can play together. Must be aggressive, offer everyone but Vooch and Issac in a sign and trade if agreeable.

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, andrew2018022 said:

He averaged 7 assists per game last year and had a 2.26:1 assist to turnover ratio. He was in the top 15 in potential assists. In what universe is he not a good passer?

The universe where I stated I think last year was an anomaly. Maybe he turned the corner and last year was his coming out party. I don't trust contract year evolutions. 

Russell isn't terrible. He's just super streaky and a defensive liability. When he's on he's really good. When he's not on he's unplayable. he has a crazy amount of games where he shoots Brooklyn out of the game in the first half by going 4/16 only to rally the team back in the fourth quarter by hitting 7 of 9 shots. His offensive efficiency took a significant jump because he started hitting a ton of deep twos at an elite level. The unfortunate thing about that is every other elite player has big swings in efficiency in that area from year to year. So any improvement in that area this year might completely disappear next year. He's also a really low bball iq player. He has terrible shot selection and iirc Brooklyn lost at least two games last year in the final seconds when he threw a bad pass instead of holding onto the ball and waiting to get fouled. 

He's going to get a gigantic contract because he's 23 and has number one option potential. But a big contract should worry the fans of whatever team he goes to because it really has the potential to be a Wiggins like albatross. 

If I could choose any of the three Brooklyn guards to put on the magic Russell would be my third choice and I think that's a really bad sign when you're about to give a guy 100 million. 

He's going to be a franchise changing player for someone. Either he's going to continue to hone his game with more experience and smooth over his rough parts and be a steal or he's going to limit a team's ceiling by having enough big moments to make him think he's a star but his overall play can't live up to the expectations that come with that role and he just Reggie Jackson's your team. 

8 hours ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

The universe where I stated I think last year was an anomaly. Maybe he turned the corner and last year was his coming out party. I don't trust contract year evolutions. 

Are you talking about Vooch? LoL. Cause that is how I see it with him. 

6 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Russell isn't terrible. He's just super streaky and a defensive liability. When he's on he's really good. When he's not on he's unplayable. he has a crazy amount of games where he shoots Brooklyn out of the game in the first half by going 4/16 only to rally the team back in the fourth quarter by hitting 7 of 9 shots. His offensive efficiency took a significant jump because he started hitting a ton of deep twos at an elite level. The unfortunate thing about that is every other elite player has big swings in efficiency in that area from year to year. So any improvement in that area this year might completely disappear next year. He's also a really low bball iq player. He has terrible shot selection and iirc Brooklyn lost at least two games last year in the final seconds when he threw a bad pass instead of holding onto the ball and waiting to get fouled. 

He's going to get a gigantic contract because he's 23 and has number one option potential. But a big contract should worry the fans of whatever team he goes to because it really has the potential to be a Wiggins like albatross. 

If I could choose any of the three Brooklyn guards to put on the magic Russell would be my third choice and I think that's a really bad sign when you're about to give a guy 100 million. 

He's going to be a franchise changing player for someone. Either he's going to continue to hone his game with more experience and smooth over his rough parts and be a steal or he's going to limit a team's ceiling by having enough big moments to make him think he's a star but his overall play can't live up to the expectations that come with that role and he just Reggie Jackson's your team. 

That is how I feel. I dont mind him but I am not excited either. He is young( which I guess is good). You can, somehow justify some of the immaturity and bad in-court decision to his age. He is going to improve our offense for sure but will cause other problems at the defensive end. I am not sure if he will be a good fit next to AG and Isaac either( no idea). Isaac or AG can get in foul trouble with him on court.  

You compared him to Reggie Jackson which is accurate. Not in the way they play( I think they are different players) but in the fact that  players are suited to play better in different systems. Reggie was a very good player playing within the  OKC system but has struggle with the Piston over the years. Yes, injuries has played a factor but you can easely see the point. 

Russell reminds me more of Gilbert Arenas and the end of his career when he came to the Magic. In the year prior, 2009-2010 season with Washington he had a good year with 22.6 PPG, 7.2APG and 4.2RPG. (Russell stats last year were similar at 21.1PPG 7.0 APG 3.9 RPG).  In 2010 Gilbert Arenas joins the Magic and  you know what happened. He struggled in our system dropping to 8PPG 3 APG and 2 RPG. I understand the fact he was older at 29 and had injuries but this is a good example on how I see things with Russell. 

I honestly think we will be better with a guy like Brogdon. He is also a combo guard who is tall, great defender who can also shoot the ball decently. He is more suited to play next to Fultz. 

9 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah, there’s a chance he’s just the guard version of Vooch, but there’s also a chance he’s the next great scoring guard in the NBA... I’m glad I’m not making the decision...

I think I trust our FO and if they go/don't go after a player, I believe their immeasurable amounts of data and research to support their decision. 

Not about today but down the road.

If the front office does decide to pass and Brooklyn has to clear more money I wouldn’t mind Dunwoodie on his reasonable contract if we could swing a trade some how.

• Upvote 1

Someone asked the Magic on IG today when we're getting new uniforms and the account replied with a "shhhh" emoji.... Do you guys think something is in the works? Imo we're long overdue for a rebranding, with new logos and uniforms. The current ones reek of Dwightmare and Rob Hennigan

14 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Russell is a very dedicated worker and a great leader. Wiggins just isn't motivated. I don't think he has Wiggins potential at all.