Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He's typically not a high volume player. 15.3 fga/game over the past 3 years

He's not inefficient at all. .523 eFG% over the past 3 years

He's one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. 

All great points.  I just don't see it with him turning 29 in June and 3 years left on a pretty hefty contract.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TheImmortalPatBurke! said:

All great points.  I just don't see it with him turning 29 in June and 3 years left on a pretty hefty contract.  

Yeah. I agree with that. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I had some time so here's some math. 

Vuc has a $19,875,000 cap hold right now

Ross has a 15,750,000 cap hold

Our first round pick has a $2,176,000 cap hold

Every open roster spot to get us up to the 12 man roster minimum has a $897,158 cap hold

We have a $333,333 cap hold for stretching CJ Watson 

The MLE has a $9,246,000 cap hold. If we need our cap space we renounce the MLE but that becomes a $5,700,000 room exception

Im pretty sure the most we can offer Ross in an extension today is something in the 4/56 ballpark. That's broken down like: 12,600,000, 13,600,000 14,600,000 15,600,000

The salary cap should be near $109,000,000

The luxury tax should be near $132,000,000

Right now if we let every free agent go but keep vucevic and Ross we have $123,402,581 on the books entering free agency with that number dropping 7-10 million because neither vucevic nor Ross are getting a first year salary exceeding their cap hold. 

If we keep Birch, Ross, and let every other free agent go we have $105,347,066 on the books which should drop to 102m once Ross' cap number is reduced but would also jump back up because Birch's cap hold is only 1.8m

If we keep Birch and let everyone else go we have $90,493,225 on the books. 

Stretching Mozgov turns his 1 year 16,720,000 into a 3 year contract worth $5,573,333. In most cases though it also adds another $896,158 for an open roster spot. So basically that turns the previous scenario with 18.5 million in cap space into 28.5 million in cap space. 

The most cap room I can conceivably come up with results from letting every free agent walk, stretching Mozgov, trading fournier and the 16th pick for JR Smith's partially guaranteed contract worth $3,870,000. That gets us down to $65,660,704 on the books. That gets us $43,339,296 in cap room. 

So basically, it's most likely that we end up just having the MLE this summer unless we really love a guy who definitely wants to come here. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Ok, I had some time so here's some math. 

Vuc has a $19,875,000 cap hold right now

Ross has a 15,750,000 cap hold

Our first round pick has a $2,176,000 cap hold

Every open roster spot to get us up to the 12 man roster minimum has a $897,158 cap hold

We have a $333,333 cap hold for stretching CJ Watson 

The MLE has a $9,246,000 cap hold. If we need our cap space we renounce the MLE but that becomes a $5,700,000 room exception

Im pretty sure the most we can offer Ross in an extension today is something in the 4/56 ballpark. That's broken down like: 12,600,000, 13,600,000 14,600,000 15,600,000

The salary cap should be near $109,000,000

The luxury tax should be near $132,000,000

Right now if we let every free agent go but keep vucevic and Ross we have $123,402,581 on the books entering free agency with that number dropping 7-10 million because neither vucevic nor Ross are getting a first year salary exceeding their cap hold. 

If we keep Birch, Ross, and let every other free agent go we have $105,347,066 on the books which should drop to 102m once Ross' cap number is reduced but would also jump back up because Birch's cap hold is only 1.8m

If we keep Birch and let everyone else go we have $90,493,225 on the books. 

Stretching Mozgov turns his 1 year 16,720,000 into a 3 year contract worth $5,573,333. In most cases though it also adds another $896,158 for an open roster spot. So basically that turns the previous scenario with 18.5 million in cap space into 28.5 million in cap space. 

The most cap room I can conceivably come up with results from letting every free agent walk, stretching Mozgov, trading fournier and the 16th pick for JR Smith's partially guaranteed contract worth $3,870,000. That gets us down to $65,660,704 on the books. That gets us $43,339,296 in cap room. 

So basically, it's most likely that we end up just having the MLE this summer unless we really love a guy who definitely wants to come here. 

Ok sweet so were getting jr Smith 2 superstars to play with ag issac bamba and fultz. What's not to like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Ok sweet so were getting jr Smith 2 superstars to play with ag issac bamba and fultz. What's not to like?

We'd waive Smith. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Wait what's the rules for being in between the salary cap and luxury cap?

The salary cap is the limit of money you can offer free agents that you don't own the rights to. 

Money above the salary cap is allocated to exceptions to the rules. Resigning your own players. Using the MLE. Trading a player worth 17 million for another player worth 20 million. Signing a draft pick. 

Going above the luxury tax means nothing except you start getting penalized for spending too much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we get rid of Fournier I would consider it a successful offseason 

but ideally let vuc and ross walk, trade Fournier and stretch mozgov and we can have something going 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The salary cap is the limit of money you can offer free agents that you don't own the rights to. 

Money above the salary cap is allocated to exceptions to the rules. Resigning your own players. Using the MLE. Trading a player worth 17 million for another player worth 20 million. Signing a draft pick. 

Going above the luxury tax means nothing except you start getting penalized for spending too much. 

Well that's depressing. I now understand why you said our improvement will come internally rather than through FAs.

How likely do you think it is that we trade Fournier for a young but unproven wing similar to how we discovered Tobias? Which would allow us to go after guys like JJ or Green as a replacement while also using the young guy to help Ross out. (This also assumes we let Vuch walk)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, alwaystragic said:

If we get rid of Fournier I would consider it a successful offseason 

but ideally let vuc and ross walk, trade Fournier and stretch mozgov and we can have something going 

Relying on 28 mil to replace 3 of our top 5 best offensive guys is not ideal. In fact it's probably a terrible idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×