Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

19 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

So ESPN dislikes us again..

No big surprise there. They never seem to like us until we start winning, and even then they beat the "surprising run from the Magic" drum. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

So ESPN dislikes us again..

We earned the dislike and will have to earn the like back. I think it's gonna happen this year, it will start with the Fultz recovery story and then expand into holy .... look at the Magic go!

• Upvote 2

On 10/2/2019 at 4:56 PM, jmmagicfan said:

Was just looking back at this and wanted to reiterate that we got Fultz for Jonathan Simmons (who has yet to sign for next season anywhere), an early second round pick (that the 76ers didn't keep), and a top-20 protected (OKC) pick for next year's draft - which might become two-2nd rounders in '21/'22. Seriously, how did they pull that off? 

This FO of John & John, know what they are doing! After years of stumbling through a botched rebuild......we finally have some of the best basketball minds in the business. IMHO

6 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

No big surprise there. They never seem to like us until we start winning, and even then they beat the "surprising run from the Magic" drum. 

The respect they offer to some franchises for absolutely nothing is incredible. Some of the "breakout players" are rubbish picks and really undermine their 'expertise'

Can I just say:

I'm excited. Trying to curb that excitement, but I'm definitely excited. It seems like the players are taking this seriously, and the Fultz hype is definitely very high. I still think there's a better than decent chance Gordon makes a jump. Isaac should be better year 3. Fultz is likely something between a solid backup and a really good starter, which is huge. What I think may be getting overlooked is that we succeeded in part last year (especially on offense) on two career years from contract players in Vucevic and Ross. If either of those guys takes a big step back (and I think the odds on at least one of them reverting back to their previous career path is higher than we'd hope), that likely negates the plus of one or two of Fultz/Gordon/Isaac improvements. Understand that I don't mean simply statistical reversion, but impact. If Vuc's outside shot isn't falling at such a high rate, and his defense suffers (we all know he gets lazy on defense when he gets frustrated on offense), or Ross' offensive confidence suffers from sharing some of the load with Fultz or (god, please let it be) DJ - those things are bigger than "Vuc is only getting 18 a game but only because Gordon and Isaac are taking on more of the offense," or "Ross still goes on ballistic runs sometimes, but they're fewer because Fultz/DJ also sometimes elevate the bench unit with big runs."

I'm excited for the upside this team has, and I'm not trying to bring everyone down. I'm just tempering my expectations until I see what Ross and Vucevic bring now that they've got their money. Of course, as ? said, if Gordon takes a Kawhi-level age-24 jump, or if Fultz looks like a near all-star first pick in the draft like we thought he would be coming out of college, all must be re-calibrated. That's a whole other thing, a whole other level of excitement.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Yeah, I'm getting close to just giving in to the hype despite my better judgment.