Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

I said this on Twitter but I'll say it again here. 

This kind of validates what I saw with fultz. His issue comes from repetitive motion. Taking a period of rest resolves his symptoms but returning to that repetitive motion causes him to relapse. This is why you saw Philly hype last year and a slow decline in his performance. 

We hope that his correct diagnosis and consistent maintenance with our trainers that he won't relapse again. 

With those facts the concern was never "will he be ready for training camp". I was very confident he would be and, look, now we have confirmation that he's available without restrictions. Because of course he is, the period of significant repetitive motion is in its early stages and he's rested. 

The concern with fultz is "how much activity can he handle before he has a relapse?"

Will he be ok for the preseason and then relapse? Will he be good for 10 games and then relapse? 50? 82? Will he relapse at all?

That's what is going to be hanging over his head for the next year or two. So while it's great that we have videos of him looking good we're not out of the woods. We can't look at this like it's an ACL repair and when he looks good he'll be good forever. We almost need to look at it like it's cancer. His condition is in remission and with regular monitoring hopefully it remains in remission and any negative trend will be caught by the medical team. But he's not cured. 

25 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I said this on Twitter but I'll say it again here. 

This kind of validates what I saw with fultz. His issue comes from repetitive motion. Taking a period of rest resolves his symptoms but returning to that repetitive motion causes him to relapse. This is why you saw Philly hype last year and a slow decline in his performance. 

We hope that his correct diagnosis and consistent maintenance with our trainers that he won't relapse again. 

With those facts the concern was never "will he be ready for training camp". I was very confident he would be and, look, now we have confirmation that he's available without restrictions. Because of course he is, the period of significant repetitive motion is in its early stages and he's rested. 

The concern with fultz is "how much activity can he handle before he has a relapse?"

Will he be ok for the preseason and then relapse? Will he be good for 10 games and then relapse? 50? 82? Will he relapse at all?

That's what is going to be hanging over his head for the next year or two. So while it's great that we have videos of him looking good we're not out of the woods. We can't look at this like it's an ACL repair and when he looks good he'll be good forever. We almost need to look at it like it's cancer. His condition is in remission and with regular monitoring hopefully it remains in remission and any negative trend will be caught by the medical team. But he's not cured. 

Resting him on most back to backs gives him what 60 games or so? I'm fine with that. Just want him fresh for the playoffs if we get there. 

16 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Resting him on most back to backs gives him what 60 games or so? I'm fine with that. Just want him fresh for the playoffs if we get there. 

I'm not even sure it's something like that. The maintenance might not be rest in games. It might be spend 2 hours in PT after games. It might be "you aren't allowed to practice your shooting on your own by taking 500 shots in each spot. Your have to use less voluminous methods of tuning you shot". It might be a minutes restriction or back to backs like you said. It might be a combination of some or all of these things. 

I have no idea what our philosophy is going to be with this. 

13 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm not even sure it's something like that. The maintenance might not be rest in games. It might be spend 2 hours in PT after games. It might be "you aren't allowed to practice your shooting on your own by taking 500 shots in each spot. Your have to use less voluminous methods of tuning you shot". It might be a minutes restriction or back to backs like you said. It might be a combination of some or all of these things. 

I have no idea what our philosophy is going to be with this. 

Makes sense. All this unknown makes this season a bit more exciting being that we remain largely the same as last year.

I'm really hoping Fultz gets it right. He says the right things and seems to have a great attitude but his shot still looks out of sink with a very low release. 

1 hour ago, Spaceman said:

I'm really hoping Fultz gets it right. He says the right things and seems to have a great attitude but his shot still looks out of sink with a very low release. 

This.  He clearly likes the hype and the attention.  He’s saying all the right things.  But how will he do when there’s some pressure on him to perform?   That will tell the story one way or the other from my standpoint.  Definitely hoping for the best.  

Do you guys think his new form on his jumper is good? Anyone know if it's the same as when he was playing hurt at Philly? It's definitely different to college but wondering if he's changed it since Philly.

16 minutes ago, The Boss said:

Do you guys think his new form on his jumper is good? Anyone know if it's the same as when he was playing hurt at Philly? It's definitely different to college but wondering if he's changed it since Philly.

It’s fine. It’s a low release point and still shotput-ish but it’s smooth enough. I think the Philly form is somewhat irrelevant/difficult to assess because his hitch was so pronounced.  Might as well throw that out in my opinion.

The dumbest current Fultz thing is the trolling on any tweet or Reddit post today to say “lol still bad” or “wow still sucks” because a) his form was never textbook, and b) form =\= effectiveness. People don’t understand that Magic fans collectively won’t care what his form looks like if he becomes even an average shooter. It’s the creation, playmaking, and ability to keep defenses honest that will change our present and future outlook. 

My biggest takeaway today was his general demeanor and interview presence. I can’t recall him ever looking that engaged, happy, talkative, etc in an interview. Hopefully that is derived from a sense of freedom he’s obtained by working his way back to feeling mostly healthy. 

If you look at Curry’s shot form; it’s got that shotput appearance as well. It looked pretty good to me; he had that nice turkey neck follow through on the release that good shooters have.