Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

So you all think picking a project with a major knee injury in the first round is a great idea.

Got it.

i honestly thought Herro was picked after us, lol my bad. But hey we got the fiba mvp so it’s all good we don’t need anyone else. Chip here we come. 

• Downvote 4

2 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

Yes,

He'll be given a G league contract between 50-100k which means he gets access to Magic facilities and he'll probably play a bit towards the end of the G league season once fully fit.

G-League players only get about $35K, not $50-100K. The bigger benefit in Okeke's case would be that they also get housing, insurance, access to the Lakeland team's coaching and the "full" Magic team rehab facilities. He could not do some of the film prep and "scouting" type of things that Clifford had Bamba do at the end of last season, since he won't be on an Orlando Magic contract yet. AS ?4TW said, it is kind of a grey area, as there really hasn't been this kind of domestic draft-and-stash of a first round player before. I expect that we will need to be very careful, as I expect the league will be monitoring this situation fairly closely. 

50 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

So you all think picking a project with a major knee injury in the first round is a great idea.

Got it.

i honestly thought Herro was picked after us, lol my bad. But hey we got the fiba mvp so it’s all good we don’t need anyone else. Chip here we come. 

I don't know about "great idea", but it certainly was a gutsy move. They picked a guy who might have been top-10 if he hadn't been injured; so if he comes back healthy you have a guy with a higher floor and higher ceiling than most of the available players chosen after him. They then managed to convince him to not tie up cap space this year,  but to continue rehabbing and defer his rookie contract to next year. In a vacuum, those seem like pretty good, reasonable moves. 

Personally, I was disappointed at the time that we didn't take Nickeil Alexander-Walker, who went right afterwards at 17. I thought as a 2/3 he had a good floor/good ceiling, and filled a potential position of need. I was even more upset that we then managed to grab a player I was really high on, Talen Horton-Tucker, with our second round pick; and then basically gave him away to the friggin' Lakers. But, the scouting and front office have a lot more opportunity to see/research/interview these guys that we as fans don't have; so based on their track record with other organizations and the turn-around we experienced last season; I for one am going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. As much as I liked NAW and THT, I'm not sure that either would have been able to get minutes in a rotation that already included Fournier/Ross/Isaac/Gordon/Iwundu at the 2/3. I would have been picking one (or both) of them with the idea that we might be losing Ross. 

23 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Got it.

Yes because okeke projects as a very good player who fits our overall philosophy and you don't draft players for what they'll do for you their rookie year, you draft them for what they'll do for you over the next 8 years. 

Herro is very likely going to be a pretty good NBA player. However the fact remains he'd be a really bad pick for us because he's going to be a bad defensive player, has no positional size, isn't going to be better than Ross or Fournier in the short term, and his production in our offense can be replicated by a better fitting guy who is available every summer in free agency for cheap, every year in the draft in the 20s or 30s, or every February in the buyout market. It's dumb to draft backup one dimensional players early. 

We can't just collect a hodgepodge of NBA players that might be solid role players with no regards to fit because we need "a sg of the future". We have to build around a specific philosophy and select those players that fit the philosophy unless those players are so good that we can make an allowance for them. Herro isn't that. 

But this isn't the first time you complained about something this summer without checking if the thing you complained about was actually possible. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I don't know about "great idea", but it certainly was a gutsy move. They picked a guy who might have been top-10 if he hadn't been injured; so if he comes back healthy you have a guy with a higher floor and higher ceiling than most of the available players chosen after him. They then managed to convince him to not tie up cap space this year,  but to continue rehabbing and defer his rookie contract to next year. In a vacuum, those seem like pretty good, reasonable moves. 

Personally, I was disappointed at the time that we didn't take Nickeil Alexander-Walker, who went right afterwards at 17. I thought as a 2/3 he had a good floor/good ceiling, and filled a potential position of need. I was even more upset that we then managed to grab a player I was really high on, Talen Horton-Tucker, with our second round pick; and then basically gave him away to the friggin' Lakers. But, the scouting and front office have a lot more opportunity to see/research/interview these guys that we as fans don't have; so based on their track record with other organizations and the turn-around we experienced last season; I for one am going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. As much as I liked NAW and THT, I'm not sure that either would have been able to get minutes in a rotation that already included Fournier/Ross/Isaac/Gordon/Iwundu at the 2/3. I would have been picking one (or both) of them with the idea that we might be losing Ross. 

As much as I liked THT in February and March, that was under the presumtion that he's just got baby fat on him and he's looking to transition into being a two playing at 210-220. 

With him entering the combine at 235 I think that disqualifies him from being drafted. If he's stuck being a 3 leaning towards a 4 it really kills a lot of what could make him valuable. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

As much as I liked THT in February and March, that was under the presumtion that he's just got baby fat on him and he's looking to transition into being a two playing at 210-220. 

With him entering the combine at 235 I think that disqualifies him from being drafted. If he's stuck being a 3 leaning towards a 4 it really kills a lot of what could make him valuable. 

I still like him at 235 because he is very young, and may still be growing. Also, his skill level at that size (and that wingspan/hands) actually allows him to play some backup at the 1, 2, 3, and possibly even some small-ball 4; but none of that really matters, since we sent him on to the Lakers. I wish we had hung onto him at least through the summer league, to see how he might have fit here; but we didn't. 

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Yes because okeke projects as a very good player who fits our overall philosophy and you don't draft players for what they'll do for you their rookie year, you draft them for what they'll do for you over the next 8 years. 

Herro is very likely going to be a pretty good NBA player. However the fact remains he'd be a really bad pick for us because he's going to be a bad defensive player, has no positional size, isn't going to be better than Ross or Fournier in the short term, and his production in our offense can be replicated by a better fitting guy who is available every summer in free agency for cheap, every year in the draft in the 20s or 30s, or every February in the buyout market. It's dumb to draft backup one dimensional players early. 

We can't just collect a hodgepodge of NBA players that might be solid role players with no regards to fit because we need "a sg of the future". We have to build around a specific philosophy and select those players that fit the philosophy unless those players are so good that we can make an allowance for them. Herro isn't that. 

But this isn't the first time you complained about something this summer without checking if the thing you complained about was actually possible. 

Your wisdom is unquestionable I know. 

21 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Your wisdom is unquestionable I know. 

You too can attain this wisdom through the use of Google and not overreacting. 

• Like 3

It's hard to quantify the value of making the playoffs in team impact. There's a lot of factors that have a presumption of impact but nobody can really prove it exists. but one thing that's objectively true is the playoff run had a significant impact on the perception of the team and the perception of Aaron Gordon. 

5 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

We don’t always agree, but excellent analysis and I’ll counter the down mark.