Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

9 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

So another 2nd pick bites the dust.  Maybe we should trade all of our 2nd round picks because we are not very good drafting anyone in the 2nd round.

You don't pay to keep 10th or 11th men on your roster. They're easily replaceable for cheap. 

Iwundu was a good pick. But from a team building perspective it makes sense to invest heavily in 7 guys and use the rest of your spots on guys who can eventually develop into one of those top 7 guys or mercenary veterans. 

Iwundu’s fine. I like that he's on the team. But he's not a guy we really need to spend money on. 

Unless he's planning on signing a really cheap contract. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

His shot is a little quirky looking but it’s going in except that last one which looked like he was just messing around.

6 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

His shot is a little quirky looking but it’s going in except that last one which looked like he was just messing around.

Yeah but his shot always looked a little weird which is why he tried to rebuild it after summer league his rookie year. 

I'm glad he's moving back toward that flawed but functional shot. Full reset back to July 2017. He can worry about fixing it down the line. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

So another 2nd pick bites the dust.  Maybe we should trade all of our 2nd round picks because we are not very good drafting anyone in the 2nd round.

What's the % chance a 2nd round pick plays in the league more than 5-7 years, and how many have the Magic drafted? I can only think of Wes and O'Quinn as guys who've had any chance at cracking that number. 

The point is: 2nd round picks are cheap commodities to rotate filling out a roster's 11-15 spots - all of whom rarely see playing time or lasting careers outside of the D-League. However, without 2nd round picks, a team is forced to sign players to vet minimums or $4-$6 million per year contracts at minimum. 2nd round picks are for maximizing cap space more as a strategy more than anything. If you get a consistent rotation player, you're the exception, not the norm. 

47 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I truly enjoy the fact that we all go nuts when Fultz shoots 3 jumpers with no hitch. 

Until I see a full contact game out of him, I'm tempering expectations. This is the same as D12 saying he fixed his FT% woes while making 80/100 FT's consistently one summer, but still eventually regressing to his sub-60% ways. Games are much different than practice. It's encouraging, but let's keep it in perspective people.  

Seeing Markelle just shooting the ball freely and on the way back to being healthy really makes me happy. The kid has had a really hard time. Just go back to being the unanimous 1st pick player you was coming out of college and work from there for sure. 

That's made my day

23 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah but his shot always looked a little weird which is why he tried to rebuild it after summer league his rookie year. 

I'm glad he's moving back toward that flawed but functional shot. Full reset back to July 2017. He can worry about fixing it down the line. 

This is it!!