Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

This article talks about the best fit for Carmelo.The writer suggests the Magic are the second best spot for Anthony.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/carmelo-anthony-free-agency-ranking-all-30-nba-teams-from-best-to-worst-fit-to-sign-the-veteran-forward/

The national media does not watch this team.

Don’t see a problem with signing Melo at all. He brings instant offense to the second unit and our defensive schemes will hide all the weaknesses he has on D. If it doesn’t work out we waive him seeing as he won’t get more than the minimum vet deal at this point. 

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

Don’t see a problem with signing Melo at all. He brings instant offense to the second unit and our defensive schemes will hide all the weaknesses he has on D. If it doesn’t work out we waive him seeing as he won’t get more than the minimum vet deal at this point. 

He's super inefficient and plays no defense. That's the exact opposite of what this team needs or has gone after. It ain't happening. 

34 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

He's super inefficient and plays no defense. That's the exact opposite of what this team needs or has gone after. It ain't happening. 

Moreso than that, his offense comes at the expense of others. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

I don’t mind inefficiency in spurts especially if it can turn into big nights on occasion. Let’s not kid ourselves and say Ross didn’t shoot us out of some games last season. If a determined Melo can come in and save his career by playing well for us why not give it a shot? We have nothing to lose bringing him in and taking one of the 15 roster spots. We can gain offense and make up for the lack of D with our superior team defense we will be playing this year. Also I’m not a Melo fan by any means but if he can put the ball through the basket and is a proven scorer why not give him a shot? 

15 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Moreso than that, his offense comes at the expense of others. 

Realistically who on the second unit would he be taking shots from besides Ross? We don’t know if Bamba will be able to handle extended playing time much less handle Offensive responsibilities. Fultz is a toss up and I’m ok with Ross having a little better shot selection and bringing in another potential scorer/former All Star. It probably won’t happen but would be excited if it did. Plus gives us something to talk about during the dreadful offseason. 

4 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

I don’t mind inefficiency in spurts especially if it can turn into big nights on occasion. Let’s not kid ourselves and say Ross didn’t shoot us out of some games last season. If a determined Melo can come in and save his career by playing well for us why not give it a shot? We have nothing to lose bringing him in and taking one of the 15 roster spots. We can gain offense and make up for the lack of D with our superior team defense we will be playing this year. Also I’m not a Melo fan by any means but if he can put the ball through the basket and is a proven scorer why not give him a shot? 

Ross was very efficient last year. 

Carmelo doesn't play winning basketball anymore because he guns for his own shots at the expense of the rest of the lineup. 

We don't need that. There's a reason he's not on a team. 

8 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

Realistically who on the second unit would he be taking shots from besides Ross? We don’t know if Bamba will be able to handle extended playing time much less handle Offensive responsibilities. Fultz is a toss up and I’m ok with Ross having a little better shot selection and bringing in another potential scorer/former All Star. It probably won’t happen but would be excited if it did. Plus gives us something to talk about during the dreadful offseason. 

Ball movement and making the right play is important. 

You just want him because he's a brand name. It's much more likely he'd be a negative player than a positive one. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

Is not like the 2nd unit is compromised of all bench players. You will always have a a starter  playing in the rotation.  Wether is Vooch, AG, Fultz/DJ or Isaac. 

The offense will flow between different players and that is what the problem is with Melo. He is used to be the main guy in offense and center of attention. He doesn't know how to play another role. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

You just want him because he's a brand name. It's much more likely he'd be a negative player than a positive one. 

1 hour ago, magicdoc1 said:

Is not like the 2nd unit is compromised of all bench players. You will always have a a starter  playing in the rotation.  Wether is Vooch, AG, Fultz/DJ or Isaac. 

The offense will flow between different players and that is what the problem is with Melo. He is used to be the main guy in offense and center of attention. He doesn't know how to play another role. 

Fair enough. I understand your points of view and get why the Magic wouldn’t want him here. I also wouldn’t mind the gamble honestly. With that being said what the Magic really need is 2016-2017 Fournier to come back this year and not suck it up as bad as he did last year. That would fix our scoring issues and if Fultz is healthy that should also help us in the scoring department. 

On 8/2/2019 at 1:22 PM, ?4thewin said:

Nobody has any answers because we don't have any information. 

He looked great last summer too. Then his nerve issue flared up. 

That's why I fully expect him to be ready for training camp. It was never a question because this is a repetitive motion issue. So it's typical that it gets better with rest. That's why you see him play, regress, rest, come back, regress, rest, come back, regress, rest, come back. As he starts to play more his condition worsens because of the repetitive motion. When he stops the repetitive motion he gets better. 

So "being ready for training camp" isn't really a worry. "What he looks like after training camp" is a big worry. 

Assuming that it’s a physical problem at all, which as you know I don’t agree with.  The whole thing about repetitive motion is completely speculative.  Hopefully, whether physical or mental, the change in location will help.  

7 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

BINGO!

On 8/5/2019 at 8:48 PM, ?4thewin said:

Guys, Iwundu isn't that good and isn't going to be on the team a year from now. 

We like him because he's an overachieving 9th man who hustles and does a lot of things competently. But even after he got a spot in the rotation last year he averaged 5.5 ppg. 

Don't act like he's some threat to take Fournier's minutes. He's fine. But he's not that. 

So another 2nd pick bites the dust.  Maybe we should trade all of our 2nd round picks because we are not very good drafting anyone in the 2nd round.