Jump to content
Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

I know I know, man, it's 15 december if that hasn't changed recently, my post was quite ironic. Also, if we're (a bit more) serious, we should hope that Vuc mantain a good level until he's elegible for a trade. If he falls back to some lackluster phases he has in no-contract years, his salary could easily become a nightmare.

In the real world, I doubt that they've resigned him just to make a trade later, in a Tobias Harris style a few years ago. Clifford clearly like to go play big, management was serious about getting back the same core... I hope they're seeing it right, especially long term, but at the moment I'm still full of doubts about our offseason and direction.

 

BTW, that's no hating on Vucevic, I don't dislike him at all, I'm just convinced he's not a good piece to have in a contending team, and we should know him quite well in his 7 year career there, enough to not be fooled by a borderline all-star season.

we take a major step backwards without him. He is a top 5 - 10 player at his position. We are not in a position that free agents are coming here so we must sign him and grow organically. Mo Bamba is nowhere near ready. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He's 6'8 with a 7'0 wingspan. He's not undersized. That's typical for power forwards. 

He's probably got a longer reach than Gordon. 

Gordon is much much muchhhhhh more athletic then okeke so it helps him with challenging shots, because of his quick first and second jump. Plus he has good reaction time. we will see this great PF in okeke one day. I hope his supporters are right about his ability to play as big and as well on defense as gordon, green, and thompson. I hope you are right and he is not barbecue chicken. I can not wait for this dude to heal. I cant wait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LaVar said:

Gordon is much much muchhhhhh more athletic then okeke so it helps him with challenging shots, because of his quick first and second jump. Plus he has good reaction time. we will see this great PF in okeke one day. I hope his supporters are right about his ability to play as big and as well on defense as gordon, green, and thompson. I hope you are right and he is not barbecue chicken. I can not wait for this dude to heal. I cant wait. 

I think you're operating on the premise that Evan couldn't defend siakam because he's shorter than him. 

But interior defense isn't a height thing. It's reach+weight+strength. And, sure, height is a component to reach, but not so much that an inch really matters. Especially with a guy who has a +4 wingspan. 

Evan couldn't defend siakam because he's got short arms and gives up 40 pounds. Not because he's 6'7. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

I think you're operating on the premise that Evan couldn't defend siakam because he's shorter than him. 

But interior defense isn't a height thing. It's reach+weight+strength. And, sure, height is a component to reach, but not so much that an inch really matters. Especially with a guy who has a +4 wingspan. 

Evan couldn't defend siakam because he's got short arms and gives up 40 pounds. Not because he's 6'7. 

I do understand. Evan actually plays bigger than his size. He is a pretty tough dude. There was a time when he played sf for us. I thought he did pretty well. Though, he is better as a SG. I just believe Okeke needs to get on the floor before we say he is going to play against pfs at this level. I need to see it first, before I say he can do it at the level of green, gordon, and thompson - whom he measures closely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LaVar said:

I would not say they are close to stars. I like their talent but they have work to do. AG is the closest of the 3 listed. Fultz has the most upside on the team, because of position and fit. If he works out, the sky is the limit.

Fultz is not close because he has barely done anything yet and has only played in like 33 out of 164 games (a horrid 20% availability) and was even missing in summer league. 

Gordon is an inconstant scorer. He needs at list 18 plus points a game. 

JI is the best defender we have on the team, but he barely does anything on offense. There was many many times on the court were he had like a 5 inch advantage on his opponent and he did nothing vs the smaller players. I need a lot more from him on offense - a lot lot more from him. 

 

Key phrase: perhaps ascending stars, but I agree with your analysis, I also believe JI’s offensive will come around as he showed flashes. I’m calling KD lite, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LaVar said:

I would not say they are close to stars. I like their talent but they have work to do. AG is the closest of the 3 listed. Fultz has the most upside on the team, because of position and fit. If he works out, the sky is the limit.

Fultz is not close because he has barely done anything yet and has only played in like 33 out of 164 games (a horrid 20% availability) and was even missing in summer league. 

Gordon is an inconstant scorer. He needs at list 18 plus points a game. 

JI is the best defender we have on the team, but he barely does anything on offense. There was many many times on the court were he had like a 5 inch advantage on his opponent and he did nothing vs the smaller players. I need a lot more from him on offense - a lot lot more from him. 

 

I did not expect to see Fultz in the summer league even if he could have played.  Not even worth the risk if he wanted to play which I do not think he did.  He is, and will be low risk/high reward, until he is healthy and plays.  I think AG, and to a lesser extent, JI, have been impacted by our low quality backcourt especially at PG.  I have echoed your comments on JI  being able to post up on smaller players as his #1 option when playing at 3 (imho---his preferred position.)  We found out he can hit 3's this year and now needs to add that low post game where he will have a mismatch almost nightly.  Don't forget he scored 16 points in the first quarter (16 in one quarter) against Boston in March, if I remember correctly.  And this was really his first year.  I still think it will take a couple more years to develop that game but it is there.  AG not far behind JI on defense.  You said it, if Fultz works out the sky is the limit because he will make JI and AG that much better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one that'd rather see Okeke play 2/3 than 3/4?  Is that not happening?  I thought I read that on draft night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 3:03 PM, TrueMagicFan07 said:

 

giphy.gif

So funny, Krish! It cracks me up every time you post that question, especially when I look at your avatar.

At times, a fellow poster, 'The Boss', does the same to me when he says something funny while I'm looking at his avatar.

 

Edit: What I mean by this is: You never say anything else (which is okay with me.) It reminds me of the movie "Are We There Yet?"

I’ve posted 1080 times and 7 are about Jeffries so.... lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KRISH10 said:

I’ve posted 1080 times and 7 are about Jeffries so.... lol 

I'm sorry, Krish. I didn't mean to offend you. 

I was not suggesting that the question you asked about whether Jeffries had signed yet was posted 1080 times.

I should have made it clearer that I noticed the question only maybe 4 or 5 times within the last few days after  Summer League  when there were discussions and concerns by several other posters as to whether Jeffries would be signed.

It was intended to be a compliment and is much needed to lighten things up (for me) in more ways than one. In other words, it helped to lift my spirits.

q4iqbp.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I'm sorry, Krish. I didn't mean to offend you. 

I was not suggesting that the question you asked about whether Jeffries had signed yet was posted 1080 times.

I should have made it clearer that I noticed the question only maybe 4 or 5 times within the last few days after  Summer League  when there were discussions and concerns by several other posters as to whether Jeffries would be signed.

It was intended to be a compliment and is much needed to lighten things up (for me) in more ways than one. In other words, it helped to lift my spirits.

q4iqbp.png

It’s all good, I wasn’t offended. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×