Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

3 minutes ago, The Boss said:

If we trade Gordon, Fultz and Bamba for Westbrook I think I'd have to walk away from the sport for a few years. 

Yeah I wouldn’t do that either.

55 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

The trade would have to start with Gordon, both teams are capped out salaries have to be close. Westbrook makes 38 million. The problem with OKC is most teams have used up their cap space and have to match salaries. 

Then why do it? That would be a bad trade to move most of your young assets for a player that will decline sooner rather than later, who will swallow up any cap space, and who hasn't shown an ability to get his team to a home court advantage or even to the second round as the main guy.

(I am not saying Gordon is better than Westbrook, but 24 year old Gordon on less than 20 a year is better than 31 year old Westbrook at 40+ per year). 

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Odin said:

Then why do it? That would be a bad trade to move most of your young assets for a player that will decline sooner rather than later, who will swallow up any cap space, and who hasn't shown an ability to get his team to a home court advantage or even to the second round as the main guy.

(I am not saying Gordon is better than Westbrook, but 24 year old Gordon on less than 20 a year is better than 31 year old Westbrook at 40+ per year). 

In the end i don't think they do it and the safest thing to do is stand still. Team is locked in as is for the next 4 years.

Again i believe we are a playoff team and have 4 guys who might break out. Isaac, Bamba,Fultz and Chuma. I think Gordon will get better but this is his last year to show star potential. Somebody in the media said star players always show potential in the first few years, even late bloomers. Westbrook is a 25 PPG guy, we need scorers and an alpha.The league is driven by stars and scorers. Westbrook can defend so he fits our identity and he just needs shooters. I'm all for this trade if we surround him with shooters.

If we can get Westbrook, Ferguson and keep two of our young guys and two of our shooters it's worth it.None of our guys have shown us anything special.Maybe Isaac, and he should be the untouchable player for us right now. It moves the needle. And guess what if it doesn't work all the big contracts are off the board at the same time. Vucevic, Ross and Westbrook gone in 4 years. I'm betting we are a high playoff seed for at least 3 of those years.Hopefully by then we have a good culture and changed the perception of the league.Right now the Magic are a joke around the league. It was just ten years ago when we were a powerhouse.

Again we have assets, if we trade the farm, then yeah we suck.But if we make a good trade with an eye for competing right now, why not?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

In the end i don't think they do it and the safest thing to do is stand still. Team is locked in as is for the next 4 years.

Again i believe we are a playoff team and have 4 guys who might break out. Isaac, Bamba,Fultz and Chuma. I think Gordon will get better but this is his last year to show star potential. Somebody in the media said star players always show potential in the first few years, even late bloomers. Westbrook is a 25 PPG guy, we need scorers and an alpha.The league is driven by stars and scorers. Westbrook can defend so he fits our identity and he just needs shooters. I'm all for this trade if we surround him with shooters.

If we can get Westbrook, Ferguson and keep two of our young guys and two of our shooters it's worth it.None of our guys have shown us anything special.Maybe Isaac, and he should be the untouchable player for us right now. It moves the needle. And guess what if it doesn't work all the big contracts are off the board at the same time. Vucevic, Ross and Westbrook gone in 4 years. I'm betting we are a high playoff seed for at least 3 of those years.Hopefully by then we have a good culture and changed the perception of the league.Right now the Magic are a joke around the league. It was just ten years ago when we were a powerhouse.

Again we have assets, if we trade the farm, then yeah we suck.But if we make a good trade with an eye for competing right now, why not?

Westbrook isn’t that good trade though. Only if we don’t have to include anything meaningful like the BIGMF core. I’m all for sacrificing draft picks and Vuc/Fournier for him but that’s about it. He isn’t worth breaking up our team over but would be a welcomed addition if we could somehow pull it off without including those guys mentioned. . 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Again i believe we are a playoff team and have 4 guys who might break out. Isaac, Bamba, Fultz and Chuma. I think Gordon will get better but this is his last year to show star potential. Somebody in the media said star players always show potential in the first few years, even late bloomers. 

With this line of thinking, you would have dumped Oladipo and Leonard before they broke out. (See my AG thread with stats). And what is “star potential” to you? Multiple 40 point games don’t count? Anyone who watched us in the playoffs could easily see that AG was our best player on the court. And this is coming from an Isaac homer who was beating the drum to draft him as early as anyone on this board. Unless we’re getting a prime all star/asset on a good contract, AG and Isaac are untouchable in my book.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I see us evolving into a team like the 2004 Detroit Pistons, they had no stars with players like B Wallace, Billups, Hamilton , R Wallace and Prince. A tough, gritty team who shared the ball and played for one another. Everyone embraced their role and played within themselves.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

I see us evolving into a team like the 2004 Detroit Pistons, they had no stars with players like B Wallace, Billups, Jefferson, R Wallace and Prince. A tough, gritty team who shared the ball and played for one another. Everyone embraced their role and played within themselves.

Don’t forget about Rip Hamilton on that team.. dude was automatic from mid-range... back when that was still a good thing

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

I see us evolving into a team like the 2004 Detroit Pistons, they had no stars with players like B Wallace, Billups, Jefferson, R Wallace and Prince. A tough, gritty team who shared the ball and played for one another. Everyone embraced their role and played within themselves.

That team is a very hard team to duplicate.   Much harder than any other model.

17 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Lakers get Avery Bradley. Good pick up by them. Shooting and Defence

He's been pretty bad since he left Boston

• Upvote 1