Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

7 hours ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

You're right. I may have been a bit off topic. 

It was mainly my fault b/c I worked all weekend and was just scanning tweets quickly the whole time and then started the "is this worth it for Miami" convo.  Turned out I was just condensing all of the Miami trade rumors into one giant trade in my head and not keeping track of what was actually happening.  So somehow yesterday based on all the names I had heard, I thought it was something like this where Miami lost like it's entire rotation:

Miami gets -- Butler, Leonard

Miami loses -- Dragic, Derrick Jones, Olynyk, Whiteside, Richardson, 1st rounder

In reality, it's:

Miami gets -- Butler, Leonard

Miami loses -- Richardson, Whiteside, 1st rounder

So yeah it was well worth it for them.

I had a busy week, so i'm going to catch up with a few thoughts on the Magic and free agency.

First this is going to be a must watch season, amazing changes in the NBA. Second i think our division will be trash the next few years.

Atlanta looks to be the team with the most potential, but we all know it takes rookies years to gel. Washington and Charlotte will be awful, no comment needed.

The Heat always surprise but i have no idea what they are doing. Just by default this is good for the Magic.

Now about our free agency. It looks like we are rolling out the same team and hoping for internal growth. i think this makes us a playoff team for sure the next few years.

We have a high floor but a low ceiling, i can't deny this. However, it is fun to finally have an identity.Last year was fun, i'm all in on being a top defensive team in the NBA.

When the Magic went to the finals it was all about our front court. It wasn't just Howard, Turkoglu and Lewis were mismatches other teams could not handle.

We actually just saw the same thing this year with Toronto. 

The reason it worked in 2009 and for Toronto was almost everyone could shoot the 3 ball. I feel like the Magic were the team that started this trend. We do have players who can shoot though, with just a little improvement. You all know DJ and Ross were pretty good last year. Gordon started the year hot and Isaac finished strong. If we can just have a bounce back year from Fournier and Aminu keeps his 3 and D status we look good in this area.

The bad news, as always is the point guard situation. Quite frankly if DJ gets hurt we are *****ed, just like 2017.Even in the best situation with Fultz he's basically a rookie.Even if he finds his shot it's not likely to be that good for another year. How we didn't target an experienced point guard who can shoot is beyond me. Instead of Aminu many of us would rather have spent that money on a Hill,Collison,Joseph or Satoransky. Just as alarming is how we didn't go after the bargain basement point guards like Rose,Smith,Burks or anyone who can shoot. 

After saying all that coaching is the key. Whenever Fultz or MCW are in the game if they are always attacking the paint and pushing the ball this could work. It will work but only if all our wings are hitting their spot up 3's. In the right system i can see a team that looks a little lik our last finals team. I can't wait to see it unfold, bring on the season.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone heard the theory that Kawai is just stringing the Lakers along to keep them from signing any other marquee FA's, only to turn around and resign with Toronto or with the Clippers? I would absolutely love this scenario. 

1 minute ago, TreyMachine said:

Has anyone heard the theory that Kawai is just stringing the Lakers along to keep them from signing any other marquee FA's, only to turn around and resign with Toronto or with the Clippers? I would absolutely love this scenario. 

Yeah, at this point the Lakers are in huge trouble if Kawhi doesn’t land there. They haven’t done anything in FA just waiting on him, so they’ve still got just AD, LeBron, Kuzma and THT on the roster and the whole market is picked over. If Kawhi goes elsewhere, they’re gonna overpay for Boogie and I have no idea who else is gonna fill out there remaining spots

9 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

I had a busy week, so i'm going to catch up with a few thoughts on the Magic and free agency.

First this is going to be a must watch season, amazing changes in the NBA. Second i think our division will be trash the next few years.

Atlanta looks to be the team with the most potential, but we all know it takes rookies years to gel. Washington and Charlotte will be awful, no comment needed.

The Heat always surprise but i have no idea what they are doing. Just by default this is good for the Magic.

Now about our free agency. It looks like we are rolling out the same team and hoping for internal growth. i think this makes us a playoff team for sure the next few years.

We have a high floor but a low ceiling, i can't deny this. However, it is fun to finally have an identity.Last year was fun, i'm all in on being a top defensive team in the NBA.

When the Magic went to the finals it was all about our front court. It wasn't just Howard, Turkoglu and Lewis were mismatches other teams could not handle.

We actually just saw the same thing this year with Toronto. 

The reason it worked in 2009 and for Toronto was almost everyone could shoot the 3 ball. I feel like the Magic were the team that started this trend. We do have players who can shoot though, with just a little improvement. You all know DJ and Ross were pretty good last year. Gordon started the year hot and Isaac finished strong. If we can just have a bounce back year from Fournier and Aminu keeps his 3 and D status we look good in this area.

The bad news, as always is the point guard situation. Quite frankly if DJ gets hurt we are *****ed, just like 2017.Even in the best situation with Fultz he's basically a rookie.Even if he finds his shot it's not likely to be that good for another year. How we didn't target an experienced point guard who can shoot is beyond me. Instead of Aminu many of us would rather have spent that money on a Hill,Collison,Joseph or Satoransky. Just as alarming is how we didn't go after the bargain basement point guards like Rose,Smith,Burks or anyone who can shoot. 

After saying all that coaching is the key. Whenever Fultz or MCW are in the game if they are always attacking the paint and pushing the ball this could work. It will work but only if all our wings are hitting their spot up 3's. In the right system i can see a team that looks a little lik our last finals team. I can't wait to see it unfold, bring on the season.

I agree with you that point guard is a major weakness, but I think it’s intentional. We want to give Fultz every opportunity to take the keys to the car. If by the deadline we’re in the mix and the point guard position is killing us and Fultz just isn’t the guy he was out of college anymore for good, we have plenty of tradeable contracts and assets that can net us an upgrade. No inside info, just really hoping thats the plan.

Just now, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah, at this point the Lakers are in huge trouble if Kawhi doesn’t land there. They haven’t done anything in FA just waiting on him, so they’ve still got just AD, LeBron, Kuzma and THT on the roster and the whole market is picked over. If Kawhi goes elsewhere, they’re gonna overpay for Boogie and I have no idea who else is gonna fill out there remaining spots

With that being said, I think the NBA Landscape is much better with Kawai going back to the Raptors. East / West will finally start to feel more balanced and there will be no clear-cut favorite for the NBA Title. Kawai to the Lakers all about assures Lakers get an NBA Championship and LeBron gets another ring. I would give LeBron credit for a sign with just AD. I would not if Kawai came and played as well. 

3 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I agree with you that point guard is a major weakness, but I think it’s intentional. We want to give Fultz every opportunity to take the keys to the car. If by the deadline we’re in the mix and the point guard position is killing us and Fultz just isn’t the guy he was out of college anymore for good, we have plenty of tradeable contracts and assets that can net us an upgrade. No inside info, just really hoping thats the plan.

I mean, we have all the medical info. Our front office gets to watch him every day. 

They seem confident he's playing. 

21 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I mean, we have all the medical info. Our front office gets to watch him every day. 

They seem confident he's playing. 

It would be other worldly dumb to not have singed or drafted back court help if they think Fultz won’t be ready by December. 

6 minutes ago, tkranole said:

It would be other worldly dumb to not have singed or drafted back court help if they think Fultz won’t be ready by December. 

I mean, it'd be dumb not to hedge a little bit if we expect him to be anything but a totally normal NBA player entering the season. 

Maybe they are being foolish? It's possible. 

Just now, ?4thewin said:

I mean, it'd be dumb not to hedge a little bit if we expect him to be anything but a totally normal NBA player entering the season. 

Maybe they are being foolish? It's possible. 

The question I'm asking with our FO and Fultz is whether our moves are being dictated not just by how Fultz is actually doing, but by how he'd perceive even the smallest slight or lack of trust. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

The bad news, as always is the point guard situation. Quite frankly if DJ gets hurt we are *****ed, just like 2017. Even in the best situation with Fultz he's basically a rookie.Even if he finds his shot it's not likely to be that good for another year. How we didn't target an experienced point guard who can shoot is beyond me. Instead of Aminu many of us would rather have spent that money on a Hill,Collison,Joseph or Satoransky. Just as alarming is how we didn't go after the bargain basement point guards like Rose,Smith,Burks or anyone who can shoot. 

6 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

The question I'm asking with our FO and Fultz is whether our moves are being dictated not just by how Fultz is actually doing, but by how he'd perceive even the smallest slight or lack of trust. 

There is also the possibility that we are waiting for the teams with cap space to thin out a little bit more. Assuming that we do re-sign MCW as has been rumored, then we are currently at 14 players under contract.

Augustin/MCW/Fultz

Fournier/Ross/Iwundu

Isaac/Aminu/Frazier

Gordon/Okeke

Vucevic/Bamba/Mozgov

Assuming we intend on matching Birch, that puts us at 15 players. I think Jefferson's qualifying offer only had to be for a 2-way contract, so if someone offers him a regular contract, he is probably gone. That means the only way we could sign another PG would be to waive (and/or stretch) someone currently on the roster; and sign the PG using some or all of the Bi-Annual Exception. Since that is only about $3M, we may be waiting to see if anyone worthwhile falls out closer to the end of free agency. At that point, we could pick up someone. We don't have to stretch Mozgov, if we don't mind paying the luxury tax this year. It would save the cap space going forward. 

14 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

Eh. We could have gotten away with that by signing satoransky who we could label as a wing. Same deal with Austin Rivers. Or Garrett Temple.