Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

If we are truly going to entertain the idea of trading for Wiggins then we need to pray to god that Clifford can teach him how to play some semblance of defense.

I mean if you don't think we should trade for Wiggins it's a really easy argument. 

The slim odds a change of scenery helps him reach his potential doesn't outweigh the incredible risk his salary presents. Just because we signed vucevic to a crappy deal doesn't mean we need to rush out and commit to more money. We might need to do that one day but Wiggins doesn't need to be that guy. 

4 minutes ago, andrew2018022 said:

What would MN need to attach to Wiggins to make you guys accept the trade immediately? Okogie? Culver? Future picks?

Autographed Purple Rain album.

• Upvote 3

Put me in the minority...with Vooch. Honestly, I was never the biggest fan, but No one currently on the roster has shown enough to become the next offensive catalyst if he departed. And in reality, Bamba is green and 20, so Vooch being ahead of him for several more years isn’t really a horrible thing. 

The team responded extremely well to Clifford in year one. To think there won’t be growth going forward is absurd. The team played competitive basketball all year and was one of the hottest teams to close the season. So saving face (re-signing Vooch/Ross) to currently compete, while developing the likes of Fultz, Isaac, Gordon, and Bamba doesn’t sound bad...it sounds like an absolute no brainer. 

People quickly forget how Orlando Played down the stretch or post all-star break, with the same roster makeup we will have. And Vooch sucked hard in the playoffs, agreed...but damn...did anyone think we would even Be there when the season started? There were substantial strides that were made and we lost to a team that went on to win the title. Our defieciences were apparent against a better opponent. Their defense was outstanding and Kawhi was unreal. But the playoff experience could be extremely valuable for the coach and our players. 

The sky is falling attitude is a little much at times around here.

Re-signing Vooch was such an obvious and correct call for the fans to be acting so negatively toward this team now.

trust me, I’m desperate for backcourt help and can’t stand Fournier, or how he plays...but to chastise an all-star center, who carried the team more than he hurt it, is insanely hilarious. 

As much as I like the rest of our roster makeup and potential...export Vooch and the offensive offiency would be atrocious. 

This past team was the best we’ve had in years and trending upward. Such a shame we’re staying the course with the same core. :/

The problem is, a lot of fans seem to think this team has plateaued perhaps, in its current state? And I can’t see how that makes any sense what so ever. The East is still as open as ever, and Philly could be dismantled as well. Orlando could certainly push for a top 4 seed, and continue the progression this team saw a year ago.

im not always the biggest optimist, but there is a lot of good things Orlando has going for it. A young athletic team that has immense defensive potential, overachieved for their coach, and steady veteran precense at the G and C positions. 

Id pump the breaks on jumping ship, because we made an obvious choice in re-signing an All-Star Center

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, andrew2018022 said:

What would MN need to attach to Wiggins to make you guys accept the trade immediately? Okogie? Culver? Future picks?

A Juicy Lucy 

12 minutes ago, New Guy said:

Put me in the minority...with Vooch. Honestly, I was never the biggest fan, but No one currently on the roster has shown enough to become the next offensive catalyst if he departed. And in reality, Bamba is green and 20, so Vooch being ahead of him for several more years isn’t really a horrible thing. 

The team responded extremely well to Clifford in year one. To think there won’t be growth going forward is absurd. The team played competitive basketball all year and was one of the hottest teams to close the season. So saving face (re-signing Vooch/Ross) to currently compete, while developing the likes of Fultz, Isaac, Gordon, and Bamba doesn’t sound bad...it sounds like an absolute no brainer. 

People quickly forget how Orlando Played down the stretch or post all-star break, with the same roster makeup we will have. And Vooch sucked hard in the playoffs, agreed...but damn...did anyone think we would even Be there when the season started? There were substantial strides that were made and we lost to a team that went on to win the title. Our defieciences were apparent against a better opponent. Their defense was outstanding and Kawhi was unreal. But the playoff experience could be extremely valuable for the coach and our players. 

Re-signing Vooch was such an obvious and correct call for the fans to be acting so negatively toward this team now.

trust me, I’m desperate for backcourt help and can’t stand Fournier, or how he plays...but to chastise an all-star center, who carried the team more than he hurt it, is insanely hilarious. 

As much as I like the rest of our roster makeup and potential...export Vooch and the offensive offiency would be atrocious. 

This past team was the best we’ve had in years and trending upward. Such a shame we’re staying the course with the same core. :/

The problem is, a lot of fans seem to think this team has plateaued perhaps, in its current state? And I can’t see how that makes any sense what so ever. The East is still as open as ever, and Philly could be dismantled as well. Orlando could certainly push for a top 4 seed, and continue the progression this team saw a year ago.

im not always the biggest optimist, but there is a lot of good things Orlando has going for it. A young athletic team that has immense defensive potential, overachieved for their coach, and steady veteran precense at the G and C positions. 

Id pump the breaks on jumping ship, because we made an obvious choice in re-signing an All-Star Center

Yes you are in the minority for many reasons.  First what about a player playing their best in a contract year.  I have not heard that mentioned much but is very possible in Vic's case.  Magic had a very good season due to multiple player's.  Vuc was just one of those only.  I would argue Ross was just as vital and would rather have resigned him since I Do not think we have the money to resign both.  Other reason for our season was lack of injury minutes.  Before the season started Jeff Turner predicted 40 wins just on injury minute improvement alone.  Our season involved a little luck.  For all your stated optimism, you are pretty pessimistic about our offense without Vuc.  I recollect a game Isaac scored 16 points in the first quarter alone vs Boston.  There is one source.  Two seasons ago Gordon had multiple 30+ point games and I think none last year.  There is another source.  4 year $100 million was just not necessary when we had a center who was a much better defender in just his rookie year.  If we were not resigning both Ross and his points will be the hardest to offset.  I just see this as the wrong choice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, New Guy said:

Couldn’t disagree more with this assessment. Who cares what the guy does during the season if he can’t produce in the playoffs plain and simple. You don’t pay a guy 100 million to just perform during the season and disappear when it matters. That’s the type of money a real All Star deserves. We have been sorely lacking legitimate guard play for who knows how long and management keeps hindering this team with absurd signings like this. I’m more than confident this team would excel without Vuc and Fournier playing on this team anymore. AG is ready for this to be his team and JI is ready for a more expanded offensive role. That can’t be done when we have Vuc having most of the offense run through him. We have guys ready to step up but they aren’t being given the chance. Just ask Bamba what he thinks about all of this. Honestly doesn’t make any sense and any fan that’s behind this resigning is just a casual fan that’s happy we made the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

I’ll admit I was wrong. Didn’t see the D-Lo / Minny interest tweet. 

The Wiggins idea intrigues me. Are there any other teams out there you think would be interested in taking him?

"Wiggins signed a five-year, $146.5 million extension with Minnesota in October 2017, but he has regressed over the last two seasons. He averaged 18.1 points and 4.8 rebounds while shooting a career-low 41.2% from the field in 2018-19."

I'm concerned. Had no idea he was this bad last season. 

33 minutes ago, New Guy said:

. . .Id pump the breaks on jumping ship, because we made an obvious choice in re-signing an All-Star Center

I don't get the argument that because a player was an All-Star, they shouldn't be traded.

I know that there are All-Stars that have asked to be traded, and some will be. Also, those All-Stars in question are better than Vucevic both on offense and defense.

• Upvote 1