Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

5 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Why? He's a young, efficient, two-way player who can defend 3 positions and space the floor. If given a starting role it seems like he's at least a 15ppg guy. We have a 27 game playoff sample (excluding his rookie year) where he's a 17/5 guy on 48/38/69 shooting. And we have a few second round and ecf games where he's shown some ability to carry an offense. 

So even if he hits his low end projection and is just shooting guard version of Harrison Barnes, that still seems pretty valuable given a positional group that doesn't have very many two way guys with upside. 

Though if you're basing most of your opinion on how he defended Middleton I get it. He hasn't been able to figure him out. 

So virtually the same offensive upside (pointwise) as Evan, but with a much bigger defensive upside? 

6 minutes ago, IrishCelticHater said:

So virtually the same offensive upside (pointwise) as Evan, but with a much bigger defensive upside? 

If we're being conservative in his projection it's more Kelly Oubre with better shooting and positional versatility. 

Evan, buddy ball jokes aside, can create offense for others a bit. Brown hasn't really shown that in his game yet. 

6 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Why? He's a young, efficient, two-way player who can defend 3 positions and space the floor. If given a starting role it seems like he's at least a 15ppg guy. We have a 27 game playoff sample (excluding his rookie year) where he's a 17/5 guy on 48/38/69 shooting. And we have a few second round and ecf games where he's shown some ability to carry an offense. 

So even if he hits his low end projection and is just shooting guard version of Harrison Barnes, that still seems pretty valuable given a positional group that doesn't have very many two way guys with upside. 

Though if you're basing most of your opinion on how he defended Middleton I get it. He hasn't been able to figure him out. 

His feel for the game is poor (makes bad decisions a lot) and he can barely dribble. His efficiency isn't that great (middling 3PT% on low attempts, below average foul shooter). I'd rather just hope Fournier gets his %s back up in the short term than hitch our wagon to an expensive role player.

2 minutes ago, Bauncey Chillups said:

His feel for the game is poor (makes bad decisions a lot) and he can barely dribble. His efficiency isn't that great (middling 3PT% on low attempts, below average foul shooter). I'd rather just hope Fournier gets his %s back up in the short term than hitch our wagon to an expensive role player.

I dunno. He's alright. It's not like he gets a lot of turnovers. And he did have a full season plus playoffs hitting 39% of his threes. Had identical eFG% over the past 2 years combined as Ross had this year. 

I'm cool gambling on a guy with his profile. Because there's upside there but some flaws. Most importantly, it's impossible to find big shooting guards who play defense anymore. It's all 6'5 guys who would be a point guard if they had those skills but don't. Hypothetically he'd be the perfect fit with what our philosophy is both on the court and in the locker room. So I guess I'm a little more inclined to pay a steeper price for that fit (with scarcity in mind) vs ending up with solid players that don't really unlock the potential of this roster because they're susceptible to switches as single positional defenders. 

16 hours ago, The Boss said:

I would love Brown as our long-term SG. If we could get him and still keep Fultz, Gordon, Isaac and Bamba I'd be stoked.

If Fultz and Bamba both develop towards their potential, and the other 3 continue to improve, a Fultz - Brown - Isaac - Gordon - Bamba is an incredibly fun and athletic team.

If Clifford was able to develop one of the best defenses in the league with Augustin, Fournier and Vuc, imagine what he'd do with that!

3 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

If Clifford was able to develop one of the best defenses in the league with Augustin, Fournier and Vuc, imagine what he'd do with that!

the team still needs balance. bad offense can also hurt the defensive numbers. 

• Upvote 1