Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

16 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I dunno. I think the goal needs to be an upgrade to that spot long term and, if things break the right way with other players, we should be able to replace him with a cheaper player who can excel in a smaller role or a major upgrade. 

Right now Fournier fills a big playmaking role with average overall defense. His playmaking is important due to the present situation that a lineup that features augustin and Isaac presents us with. 

If fultz and Gordon begin to grab that playmaking responsibility his role is going to be more of a spot up shooter. And you can find someone who can play that role better for significantly less money. 

I'd like to add somebody that's cheaper averages about 12-14 ppg and shoots about 40% from three and doesnt need as much usage for 1/3 the price.

• Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

I'd like to add somebody that's cheaper averages about 12-14 ppg and shoots about 40% from three and doesnt need as much usage for 1/3 the price.

12-14 ppg and 40% from 3 isn't going to be cheap unless it's a guy on a rookie contract. Look at what Ross just got. 

10ppg and 40% from 3 is doable though. 

We just picked up fultz's option for the following year. 

We didn't need to pick up fultz option until October 31st. 

Another big sign that this front office has a ton of confidence in him (for better or worse). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We just picked up fultz's option for the following year. 

We didn't need to pick up fultz option until October 31st. 

Another big sign that this front office has a ton of confidence in him (for better or worse). 

Also picked up Isaac and Bamba’s options nice and early. Got to be a good sign, right?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Also picked up Isaac and Bamba’s options nice and early. Got to be a good sign, right?

It's not really a good sign with fultz. 

But it's a great sign to the confidence this front office has in the fultz investment. We basically said we didn't need the entirely of training camp, the preseason, and a handful of regular season games to know we want him for at least the next two years. 

Edit: I mean it's not a sign of anything with fultz, not that it's not a good sign

I think picking up Fultz' option this early is a good sign that they are pleased with his work ethic on his rehab, and that they think he will be a productive part of this team sooner rather than later.

I think it also sends a message to Chuma Okeke that taking a "red shirt" year and signing with Lakeland while doing his rehab will be a positive long-term move for him. It shows the team values that work ethic, and has loyalty to help their players to recover/become the player that everyone thinks they can be. 

If Okeke signs a contract, then we will have 14 players on the official "salary" roster, and signing anyone, even a rookie minimum deal will put us over the luxury tax threshold. But having him "defer" his rookie season to next year means we have two spots open on the roster, and can fill both of them with veteran minimum deals without going into the luxury tax.

The bad part for him would be that he could only make about $35K next year and he would be pushing back the end of his rookie contract a year, so won't enter free-agency as soon. On the good side, he would then sign his rookie contract next year at a $400K higher starting salary, because he would fall under the 2020 rules; he would still have the benefits of team doctors, rehab, facilities, and coaching in the Magic system (albeit Lakeland's coaches, but they run much of the same stuff as the parent club).

Truth is, even if he is signed to the parent club this year, he would still spend most of the season rehabbing, and probably start his comeback with limited playing time in Lakeland anyway. 

• Upvote 1

Spain destroyed us 

gasol and the hernangomez bros were just to much size for only scola, and rubio was less nervous than campazzo

their coach and strategy was far better than ours 

Still had a good tournament and runner up in such a tough competition without the stars of the past (ginobili, nocioni, prigioni, delfino or herrmann) is nothing to be ashamed of

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alwaystragic said:

Spain destroyed us 

gasol and the hernangomez bros were just to much size for only scola, and rubio was less nervous than campazzo

their coach and strategy was far better than ours 

Still had a good tournament and runner up in such a tough competition without the stars of the past (ginobili, nocioni, prigioni, delfino or herrmann) is nothing to be ashamed of

It was an amazing run, like Croatia making it to the World Cup Final (futbol) but then losing to a team with a lot more star power.

• Upvote 1