Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

Over the last three seasons, NBA players have scored 32,233 points in roughly 32,894 clutch possessions (possessions estimate is calculated as field-goal attempts plus 0.44 times free-throw attempts plus turnovers). That works out to 0.98 points per possession.

Now, we need to take those same 70 players with 100-plus relevant attempts over the last three seasons and estimate the clutch points per possession each has accrued. Then we subtract the league average from the player's points per possession and multiply by total attempts to calculate how many points he generated above the league average with his shots.

The top 10 reads as follows:

1. LeBron James (41.1)
  2. Stephen Curry (37.7)
  3. Kyrie Irving (36.2)
  4. Victor Oladipo (31.5)
  5. Isaiah Thomas (27.6)
  6. Jimmy Butler (25.9)
  7. Paul George (22.5)
  8. Kevin Durant (22.5)
  9. CJ McCollum (22.0)
  10. Kemba Walker (21.9)

And just for the heck of it, the bottom five:

1. Nikola Vucevic (minus-33.8)
  2. Andrew Wiggins (minus-33.2)
  3. Jrue Holiday (minus-29.0)
  4. Carmelo Anthony (minus-24.2)
  5. Zach LaVine (minus-23.4)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2849649-who-are-the-nbas-best-scorers-when-it-counts

$100M for the worst clutch player over the last 3 years might  be considered a bit of an overpay.

15 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Not really when viewed through the lens of everyone else. Is Beal pathetic? Lillard? Harden?

It is when you are Shooting 3’s as your option to win a game when you have 20% chance vs an upper 30% to go for a 2 and tie the game you play the odds. 

So.. yes. Harden, Lillard and Beal going for a 3 to win instead of a 2 is pathetic. 

Unless you are Lebron or Curry. 

38 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

It is when you are Shooting 3’s as your option to win a game when you have 20% chance vs an upper 30% to go for a 2 and tie the game you play the odds. 

So.. yes. Harden, Lillard and Beal going for a 3 to win instead of a 2 is pathetic. 

Unless you are Lebron or Curry. 

What if you're down 3...

32 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Go reread the criteria for those stats

I did.. that is my point. You have one good and what extremely bad. Fournier in the upper 30’s on 2 and in the lower 20’s in 3. 

The fact that he still shooting 3’s for the win or be the one taking 3 point shots for the tie is bad.  

20 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

I did.. that is my point. You have one good and what extremely bad. Fournier in the upper 30’s on 2 and in the lower 20’s in 3. 

The fact that he still shooting 3’s for the win or be the one taking 3 point shots for the tie is bad.  

He's in the 50s on twos and 26% on threes

The average for players on that list is 24.4% on threes.

The league average is 24.8% on threes. 

You need to look at the shot in context. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

He's in the 50s on twos and 26% on threes

The average for players on that list is 24.4% on threes.

The league average is 24.8% on threes. 

You need to look at the shot in context. 

Fair. But I still think he is average. Not bad but not good either. The fact that he is the one taking the shots at the end of a game for us is depressing. We need a better go to guy. Hopefully that changes with the addition of Fultz. 

44 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Fair. But I still think he is average. Not bad but not good either. The fact that he is the one taking the shots at the end of a game for us is depressing. We need a better go to guy. Hopefully that changes with the addition of Fultz. 

Sure. But that's what I'm getting at. He's average. People act like he's garbage. He's ok.