Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

Waiting a year and then starting his contract can be a very good thing for Okeke.

Players want to put the best 3 'first' seasons together to get the biggest first contract possible.

Delaying the start to these first seasons means Okeke can use our training facilities, staff, train with NBA players and play on our G League roster this season and be primed and ready to go next season for his 'rookie' season.

He effectively will have 1 extra season to get to his best to get the biggest contract he can.

I think this deal works for players that are super confident they will heal and get back to their best basketball, and are confident that that basketball will be valuable to a team going forward.

32 minutes ago, The Boss said:

Waiting a year and then starting his contract can be a very good thing for Okeke.

Players want to put the best 3 'first' seasons together to get the biggest first contract possible.

Delaying the start to these first seasons means Okeke can use our training facilities, staff, train with NBA players and play on our G League roster this season and be primed and ready to go next season for his 'rookie' season.

He effectively will have 1 extra season to get to his best to get the biggest contract he can.

I think this deal works for players that are super confident they will heal and get back to their best basketball, and are confident that that basketball will be valuable to a team going forward.

He can't use the facilities or train with our players. 

And it's a disadvantage for him. You want to get to your second contract as fast as possible. Players have a finite earning window. Spending a year of that making no money isn't good for him.

6 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

This is exhibit 1 for my case why the Fournier hate has gone too far

I see Carmelo Anthony there as well. 

26.1% from 3 is pretty pathetic. 

5 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

I see Carmelo Anthony there as well. 

26.1% from 3 is pretty pathetic. 

Not really when viewed through the lens of everyone else. Is Beal pathetic? Lillard? Harden?

On 8/12/2019 at 7:19 PM, Gordon MVP said:

It seems our Decembers and Januarys are always brutal 

I can see myself throwing everyone under the bus in game threads already.  :svgsad: 

Image result for stan van gundy sad

Thanks for that explanation P4TW. 

I see so little to gain from his perspective to not sign now. He’s hurt. What if he has a setback or a career ending injury? A freak car accident? Anything could happen. I would want to sign and get my money as soon as possible. 

This is super strange to me. Not sure why a media member can’t just ask management. 

4 hours ago, The Boss said:

This is terrible for players and that’s why we never have seen a player go this route. You want to start your first contract to get to your bigger second contract. He essentially doesn’t have a job now. A lot can happen in a year. As a player you need to get pen to paper and secure your finances. 

Yeah fair enough, I don't think I really thought it right through. Just looking for some reason why he isn't signed yet. I really hope we aren't playing hard ball with him and in the process annoying him, we're trying to build a good culture so you don't want to get these things wrong.

17 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

Can someone explain to me what that Smith guys tweet means? 

Why TF would okeke agree to not sign and take a “redshirt”? So he stays jobless and hurt this season? 

Do nba teams have an obligation to sign draft picks before a certain date in order to retain their rights? 

If I’m Okeke I’m not on board with any of this and it doesn’t seem like it would be possible under any bargaining agreement. I feel like if we just refuse to sign him he should be free to sign with any nba team he wants. 

I need a detailed explanation because this doesn’t seem reasonable. 

According to what I’m reading online, July 15 was “the last day to issue required tenders to unsigned first round draft picks.”  If that doesn’t happen, the player becomes a free agent on July 16th.  Not exactly sure what a “required tender” is (don’t think it has anything to do with chicken), but presumably there’s been some stuff going on, because I think we would have heard something if Okeke has become a free agent.