Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

4 hours ago, Picagus6Uruguay said:

Hi guys, I wanted to ask you where I can buy 2 tickets for 10/23 as it is the first time I travel to the US and I'm dying to see my MAGIC. Let's go MAGIC

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/orlando-magic-vs-cleveland-cavaliers/event/22005708CC82A23A?dma_id=283

https://www.stubhub.com/orlando-magic-tickets-orlando-magic-orlando-amway-center-10-23-2019/event/104272982/?sort=price+asc

https://seatgeek.com/cavaliers-at-magic-tickets/10-23-2019-orlando-florida-amway-center/nba/4959676

According to the Ticketmaster link, these don't go on sale to the general public for a few days.  But those are the sites I'd try. 

9 hours ago, Picagus6Uruguay said:

Hi guys, I wanted to ask you where I can buy 2 tickets for 10/23 as it is the first time I travel to the US and I'm dying to see my MAGIC. Let's go MAGIC

Hello Pica, how did you know?

I had just turned on my computer and decided to check in on the TBN message board. The first thing I saw was, 'where can I buy 2 tickets for 10/23?'

I'm thinking. . .that 2nd ticket must be for me. . .10/23 is my birthday. Thanks, Picagus6!      hahaha!

True story.

q4iqbp.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

It's important to keep in mind here he's making a presumption based on the fact okeke is unsigned, not reporting information

What does that mean if it happens?

Would it be something he'd prefer or it's something we might be pushing against his preference? What kind of contract will be have? Would it just be whatever it was supposed to be this season but starting next season?

2 hours ago, The Boss said:

What does that mean if it happens?

Would it be something he'd prefer or it's something we might be pushing against his preference? What kind of contract will be have? Would it just be whatever it was supposed to be this season but starting next season?

The last part. We’d retain his rights but his rookie contract wouldn’t start until he officially signed. Not sure why Chuma would do it, but I guess it’s another possibility of why he hasn’t signed yet

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

The last part. We’d retain his rights but his rookie contract wouldn’t start until he officially signed. Not sure why Chuma would do it, but I guess it’s another possibility of why he hasn’t signed yet

It may explain why he looks sad and discontent in every picture. 

• Downvote 1

Hassani Gravett, that name brings back memories.  My girlfriend (a Gamecock) nicknamed him "Strawberry Milk" during their epic tournament run a few years ago.  

He was a decent player on that team, but I don't imagine he'll amount to much in the pros.  G-League guy at best.  

EB3cAfLXsAEQGC8.jpg

Can someone explain to me what that Smith guys tweet means? 

Why TF would okeke agree to not sign and take a “redshirt”? So he stays jobless and hurt this season? 

Do nba teams have an obligation to sign draft picks before a certain date in order to retain their rights? 

If I’m Okeke I’m not on board with any of this and it doesn’t seem like it would be possible under any bargaining agreement. I feel like if we just refuse to sign him he should be free to sign with any nba team he wants. 

I need a detailed explanation because this doesn’t seem reasonable. 

35 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Can someone explain to me what that Smith guys tweet means? 

Why TF would okeke agree to not sign and take a “redshirt”? So he stays jobless and hurt this season? 

Do nba teams have an obligation to sign draft picks before a certain date in order to retain their rights? 

If I’m Okeke I’m not on board with any of this and it doesn’t seem like it would be possible under any bargaining agreement. I feel like if we just refuse to sign him he should be free to sign with any nba team he wants. 

I need a detailed explanation because this doesn’t seem reasonable. 

In the past guys at the end of the draft enter into an agreement to be taken as a first rounder and getting long term guaranteed money with the caveat of delaying that money for a year vs being taken in the second round and having no guaranteed money. This is the Josh Huestis situation where OKC liked him but didn't want to commit money to him due to luxury tax concerns. 

This situation works because the last few picks in the first round make similar money to the rookie minimum. So a team is offering significantly more guaranteed money for a delay vs no guaranteed money but a chance it comes immediately. 

Keith is making a presumption that because okeke isn't signed yet that we've entered into this type of agreement with him. 

The problem is:

1. Okeke was selected 16th so the math is considerably different. A g-league contract of $35,000 vs the 3.1 million rookie scale for the 16th pick. 

2. Okeke is coming off of a knee injury so there's an incentive for him to grab the money today even if he's forced to take the minimum 80% of the scale to make that happen. 

3. This probably wasn't agreed upon prior to the draft as okeke commented multiple times that he didn't know we were interested prior to getting that call. 

4. Okeke has the leverage in this situation because he was picked early. You can't wash your hands of the 16th pick. 

5. We don't really need his cap room that much. We're barely over the luxury tax with him and a 15th player like Jefferies. If we're that desperate to stay under the tax we can dump Frazier in June or at the trade deadline to stay under. 

So, in closing, this is definitely a plausible scenario but it's unprecedented for a player like okeke to take this path. So while Keith is making a presumtion here based on limited knowledge I don't think it's definitive that this is what's happening. 

For instance, maybe his main agent is leaving CAA and while he's going through that process he asked okeke to hold off on signing the contract so that he's entitled to that work product instead of CAA. 

There's many unconventional situations that could describe this delay so I think it's wrong to assume one thing when there's nothing to support it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1