Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

4 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Thank you for the clarification.  So in theory a player could be drafted in the first round and still not make an NBA team.  I didn’t realize that could happen.  I realize it’s extremely rare, but I didn’t know it was even possible.  

Yeah. Though there's no real way to be a competent front office and let that happen. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

The bulls drafted Travis Knight with the last pick of the first round in 1996, had to pay Jordan and Pippen more money than they anticipated, then waived the rights to Knight to save money. 

The scale is guaranteed, a team isn't obligated to pay a player though. 

i could have swore the 1st 2 years of a rookie deal are guaranteed. only years 3 and 4 are optional.  

14 minutes ago, LaVar said:

i could have swore the 1st 2 years of a rookie deal are guaranteed. only years 3 and 4 are optional.  

They effectively are. Because it's completely illogical for a team to draft a guy and then change their mind a week later and renounce his rights. 

12 hours ago, LaVar said:

If I understand what ?4TW was saying correctly, the first two years are guaranteed as long as the team offers their first round pick a contract.  But they can choose not to offer the contract, which effectively makes that player a free agent.  Since that scenario means throwing away a first round draft pick, I gather it almost never happens.  

My..how team USA..has fallen.  At least there aren't self absorbed divas on the roster.......I think?