Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Nothing is out there. 

It would be such a "this front office" moment for them to have signed okeke 3 weeks ago and then just not tell anyone. 

So what exactly are the rules on this?  He’s guaranteed a contract, correct?  I would assume that unless he agrees to a delay, there is a date by which the Magic are required to offer him a contract?

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

So what exactly are the rules on this?  He’s guaranteed a contract, correct?  I would assume that unless he agrees to a delay, there is a date by which the Magic are required to offer him a contract?

Nope. You can draft someone and then just not sign them. 

If he doesn't play any basketball this year, technically he can go back into the draft (I think. It never happens so I'm not sure if that rule changed since I last looked it up). 

There's really no reason he shouldn't be signed now. There's recent pictures of him without crutches so I assume he's not worse than they thought. We're only a week away from every other first round guy being tradable. He's working out with our guys so he's not holding out for something. If there was an agreement to stash him there's no point in keeping that a secret. We would have heard something by now. 

It honestly makes no sense. 

There are only two scenarios that make sense. 

1. We're talking a trade and the guy we're targeting makes such little money that okeke's contract is too much to match salary. But are you really going to wait a month for that trade to happen?

2. Something completely unrelated to basketball occurred, like his agent traveled to Africa with Masai to help with basketball development over there and okeke is just like "hey no problem, let's just work out the contract when you get back"

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

1. We're talking a trade and the guy we're targeting makes such little money that okeke's contract is too much to match salary. But are you really going to wait a month for that trade to happen?

2. Something completely unrelated to basketball occurred, like his agent traveled to Africa with Masai to help with basketball development over there and okeke is just like "hey no problem, let's just work out the contract when you get back"

So first rounders aren’t guaranteed contracts?   I thought they were, and second rounders weren’t.  How does the guarantee of a contract work if the team that drafts a player is free not to sign them?

5 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

So first rounders aren’t guaranteed contracts?   I thought they were, and second rounders weren’t.  How does the guarantee of a contract work if the team that drafts a player is free not to sign them?

The bulls drafted Travis Knight with the last pick of the first round in 1996, had to pay Jordan and Pippen more money than they anticipated, then waived the rights to Knight to save money. 

The scale is guaranteed, a team isn't obligated to pay a player though. 

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Is the thing about his agent true? Or just a hypothetical?

45 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The bulls drafted Travis Knight with the last pick of the first round in 1996, had to pay Jordan and Pippen more money than they anticipated, then waived the rights to Knight to save money. 

The scale is guaranteed, a team isn't obligated to pay a player though. 

Thank you for the clarification.  So in theory a player could be drafted in the first round and still not make an NBA team.  I didn’t realize that could happen.  I realize it’s extremely rare, but I didn’t know it was even possible.