Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, Mack1085 said:

I’d be so disappointed if that happened to Wes.  He was part of some of our very best defensive lineups and shot it so well from 3 in the second half of the season. I’d rather continue to develop him than give Aminu more minutes at the backup 3. 

I mean, maybe Cliff will change his ways, but he’s never played more than a 9 man rotation before...

for what it’s worth, I agree with you on Wes

1 hour ago, Mack1085 said:

I’d be so disappointed if that happened to Wes.  He was part of some of our very best defensive lineups and shot it so well from 3 in the second half of the season. I’d rather continue to develop him than give Aminu more minutes at the backup 3. 

We have too many good players to play 10. The minute breakdown is tough because the 2, 3, and 4 spots have 144 total minutes to divide between some of our better players. If Isaac, Gordon, Ross, and Fournier take up 120-128 minutes that only leaves 16-24 minutes. It makes more sense to give the entire chunk of remaining minutes to a single guy vs dividing those between two guys and getting disjointed performances. 

Given that we just paid aminu a bunch of money, the optimistic view would have him playing as much as possible. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

We have too many good players to play 10. The minute breakdown is tough because the 2, 3, and 4 spots have 144 total minutes to divide between some of our better players. If Isaac, Gordon, Ross, and Fournier take up 120-128 minutes that only leaves 16-24 minutes. It makes more sense to give the entire chunk of remaining minutes to a single guy vs dividing those between two guys and getting disjointed performances. 

Given that we just paid aminu a bunch of money, the optimistic view would have him playing as much as possible. 

Wes will also get some playing time. Injuries are bound to happen and he will be first up. Aminu is a better version of Iwundu at this point and although I like Iwundu a lot it doesn't make much sense to put the development of a career 6th man over a better version of himself for the sake of development. What's best for the team is Aminu playing. If Wes continues to improve he will naturally take that spot anyways. 

8 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I hear you. I just can’t get over the fact that he was the common denominator* on our best defensive lineups and net ratings for the second half of last season. And that wasn’t just bench units either. I get we just paid Aminu but I think Wes is worth the continued development as a potentially great 3&D player. I don’t know if Clifford has a history of ever going 10, but I’d be open to fewer Evan minutes if we can replace his shot creation/offensive value elsewhere. Short of that I expect Wes to get the injury minutes like everyone else, but I’ll be interested to see if the defense slips a bit from the end of last season.

*Hard to know what minute filters to use, but I did 24 minute minimum for 5 man lineups and 96 minutes minimum for 2/3 man lineups over the second half of the season. 

12 hours ago, Mack1085 said:

I hear you. I just can’t get over the fact that he was the common denominator* on our best defensive lineups and net ratings for the second half of last season. And that wasn’t just bench units either. I get we just paid Aminu but I think Wes is worth the continued development as a potentially great 3&D player. I don’t know if Clifford has a history of ever going 10, but I’d be open to fewer Evan minutes if we can replace his shot creation/offensive value elsewhere. Short of that I expect Wes to get the injury minutes like everyone else, but I’ll be interested to see if the defense slips a bit from the end of last season.

*Hard to know what minute filters to use, but I did 24 minute minimum for 5 man lineups and 96 minutes minimum for 2/3 man lineups over the second half of the season. 

Having Wes get minutes at the 2 would be good for us I think

19 minutes ago, andrew2018022 said:

Having Wes get minutes at the 2 would be good for us I think

I advocated for this about a month or two ago and am still intrigued by that prospect. Perhaps the organization already sees him as a 2 and that’s why we didn’t address the need in free agency or through a trade. Wes is more than capable defending guards he just needs a consistent shot to stay on the floor. 

Guys, Iwundu isn't that good and isn't going to be on the team a year from now. 

We like him because he's an overachieving 9th man who hustles and does a lot of things competently. But even after he got a spot in the rotation last year he averaged 5.5 ppg. 

Don't act like he's some threat to take Fournier's minutes. He's fine. But he's not that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

52 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We like him because he's an overachieving 9th man who hustles and does a lot of things competently. But even after he got a spot in the rotation last year he averaged 5.5 ppg. 

Don't act like he's some threat to take Fournier's minutes. He's fine. But he's not that. 

He shot 36.7 % from three and had a 103.2 defensive rating. He’s never going to be a starter imo, but assuming further development, there’s a spot for him on this roster as a 3&D guy.

1 minute ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

He shot 36.7 % from three and had a 103.2 defensive rating. He’s never going to be a starter imo, but assuming further development, there’s a spot for him on this roster as a 3&D guy.

Nah. Those guys are journeymen. He'll be in the league for a long time but I doubt we resign him. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

the coach likes wes