Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

17 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I didn't mean sign for less than two years, what I meant was he has to sign the first year at 120% to maximize year 2 at 120% + max raise. If he signs the first year at 80%, then the second year has a smaller "base" ( example $3.1M first year might become $3.255M with a 5% raise, but $2.6M+5% only becomes $2.73M in year two). ?4TW is saying that they don't pro-rate the rookie contract in that first year, but I'm not sure that is true; I'm going to have to go back to the actual CBA to verify that. I can't imagine the owner's agreeing to pay a rookie the full first year salary if they don't sign the contract until November or December, that's just not how business is done usually; but it's possible I suppose. 

I'm right. 

The only contracts that are pro-rated are minimum contracts

For clarification, we signed Jeffries to an exhibit 10 contract which is basically an imaginary contract that allows him to enter camp with us. We can convert that contract to a two way contract or a minimum contract if we want to later (and he agrees). 

23 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm right. 

The only contracts that are pro-rated are minimum contracts

Actually, we're both right and both wrong. According to the CBA they do receive the full contract amount as long as they sign their contract before Jan 10th, and it is reduced after that daily by 1/(number of days in the season). Good lord, trying to make sense of that thing is a serious chore! So yes, there has to be another issue that they are negotiating about. 

McCollum, with two years left on his deal, just signed a 100 mil/3 year extension. Wowzers. Makes some of our contracts look like a deal.

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

For clarification, we signed Jeffries to an exhibit 10 contract which is basically an imaginary contract that allows him to enter camp with us. We can convert that contract to a two way contract or a minimum contract if we want to later (and he agrees). 

So apparently Jefferson's contract is the other 2-way; so we still have a roster spot open (besides Okeke). That's the good news, the bad is that we probably won't sign another player to the roster at the start of the season because of luxury tax issues. We are approximately $822K below the projected tax line once we sign Okeke (assuming at the 120% of rookie-scale), and a rookie minimum for the season is $898K; so we would have to wait until at least mid-December before signing another player, or risk going into the tax. The other good news is that by signing Jeffries to the Exhibit 10 there is an extra incentive for him to sign with Lakeland if/when he is waived from the parent club during or at the end of training camp. We have signed Isaac Humphries to an Exhibit 10 as well.