Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

44 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

But, he might not have been picked in the first round at all, due to the fact he's scheduled to miss at least half the season because of the injury. So that does seem to give them some "justification" for going lower, or at least starting lower. Also, contracts are "pro-rated" based on the percentage of the year remaining when you sign it; so if they don't sign Okeke until November or December, that also might bring the team in under the luxury tax line. It would stink for Okeke, because even if he signs for the full 120% at that point, he's already missing out on some of this year's money; though it would mean he gets the full potential salary for 2020-21. 

I don’t think the Magic have the option to sign him for less than two years unless Okeke agrees, which as has already been pointed out he has no reason to do.  He is guaranteed by league rules a two year contract.  

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

But, he might not have been picked in the first round at all, due to the fact he's scheduled to miss at least half the season because of the injury. So that does seem to give them some "justification" for going lower, or at least starting lower. Also, contracts are "pro-rated" based on the percentage of the year remaining when you sign it; so if they don't sign Okeke until November or December, that also might bring the team in under the luxury tax line. It would stink for Okeke, because even if he signs for the full 120% at that point, he's already missing out on some of this year's money; though it would mean he gets the full potential salary for 2020-21. 

It would have been agreed upon beforehand. 

Also, rookie scale contracts aren't prorated. 

There is also a possibility that our medical team saw something in his medical records recently that is not to their liking. Or maybe recovery is not going well and we don't want to commit to him. At least not just yet. 

Or it could be the other way around. He wants to play this year while the organization is telling him otherwise and Agent is not happy. 

16 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

There is also a possibility that our medical team saw something in his medical records recently that is not to their liking. Or maybe recovery is not going well and we don't want to commit to him. At least not just yet. 

Or it could be the other way around. He wants to play this year while the organization is telling him otherwise and Agent is not happy. 

Nah. None of that is really likely.

Even if he retore his ACL on Independence day we'd just sign him and get him prepared for next year. 

Him wanting to play this year would have no impact on signing a contract because the doctors handle player clearance. 

31 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

I guess it’s possible, but if we took him without doing significant and thorough research on him with guys like NAW on the board I’d be extremely disappointed and lose a lot of trust in the staff

33 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I guess it’s possible, but if we took him without doing significant and thorough research on him with guys like NAW on the board I’d be extremely disappointed and lose a lot of trust in the staff

Yea.. will be really upsetting to say the least.  I doubt it though but will not be surprised either. 

We have to look at his agent as well. Maybe he is controlling the situation. Not sure what else could be delaying this and the fact they are quiet about it makes it more confusing. 

Yes.. it happened with Porzingis a few years back but the Knicks management were not holding info. They were clear and determined with the decision that he was part of their future. He was eventually signed. 

7 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

I don’t think they can choose not to commit to him.  Once you draft a player in the first round, the commitment is done.  They are guaranteed at least a two year contract.  

8 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Hopefully there will be a logical explanation for this debacle.  Optics do not look real good for the Magic brass on this one.  With who was left on the board at 16, bad research or a gamble should not have been in play.  Drafting history of Weltham, based on our draft position, was not rocket science in round 1 and second round selections/trade of draft picks have been nothing to get too excited about.  Jury is still out on this staff and Okeke situation not helping the trust issue at this point.

20 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Did Robbins ever respond about Okeke when you asked him?

The NBA and NBPA next have an opportunity to opt out of the current CBA in 2022, and it will be fascinating to see how the two sides react to yet another landscape shift in the league. The three-year period between now and the opt out should at least help bring some clarity to both sides about their priorities. 

The league especially needs to decide what it values. This summer seemed like progress for the NBA, but Presti probably speaks for most of his colleagues when it comes to the fairness of the system. If the NBA keeps trying to fiddle with the CBA to achieve parity and keeps failing, wouldn’t it make more sense to go the other way? 

If the difference between playing in New Orleans and L.A. is a few million, why wouldn’t Anthony Davis play with the Lakers? But if the difference was dozens of millions because there was no such thing as a max salary, would AD be a Pelican right now? If there was no draft, but the Magic could offer Zion Williamson $30 million next season, wouldn’t he consider playing there? (It has to be the Magic in this scenario, because they only sign power forwards and centers.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/07/29/free-agency-lakers-clippers-thunder-hornets-sam-presti-kemba-walker

On 7/29/2019 at 12:03 PM, JJZFL said:

I don’t think the Magic have the option to sign him for less than two years unless Okeke agrees, which as has already been pointed out he has no reason to do.  He is guaranteed by league rules a two year contract.  

I didn't mean sign for less than two years, what I meant was he has to sign the first year at 120% to maximize year 2 at 120% + max raise. If he signs the first year at 80%, then the second year has a smaller "base" ( example $3.1M first year might become $3.255M with a 5% raise, but $2.6M+5% only becomes $2.73M in year two). ?4TW is saying that they don't pro-rate the rookie contract in that first year, but I'm not sure that is true; I'm going to have to go back to the actual CBA to verify that. I can't imagine the owner's agreeing to pay a rookie the full first year salary if they don't sign the contract until November or December, that's just not how business is done usually; but it's possible I suppose.