Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

2 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

True. I’d love either Malik here. Obviously, JB and Caris are 1A and 1B, but also would probably cost the most and are least likely to be dealt. Brown, LeVert and Beasley are all due to be RFA next year, which is a risk in itself considering how much money we already have committed.

Though I imagine if we make a trade for a 2 it would come with flipping Fournier for an expiring

Interesting.  I kind of thought we were pretty much set for the upcoming season but maybe there’s still a potential for a little excitement in what’s been otherwise a somewhat lackluster summer.  

3 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

Is Okeke that last 1st round pick not signed? Most certainly interesting. 

Not only is Okeke the only first rounder not to be signed yet, I believe he’s one of only 8 players in the entire draft that doesn’t have a contract at the moment.

6 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Not only is Okeke the only first rounder not to be signed yet, I believe he’s one of only 8 players in the entire draft that doesn’t have a contract at the moment.

Since first rounders are guaranteed a contract, what happens if they don't sign him?

13 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Since first rounders are guaranteed a contract, what happens if they don't sign him?

If he agrees not to play here this year his money doesn't count and his contract just starts whenever he signs here. But there's no reason for him to do that. 

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

If he agrees not to play here this year his money doesn't count and his contract just starts whenever he signs here. But there's no reason for him to do that. 

Here's what I think is happening - the rookie scale is only partially set in stone. There is a range of pay for each position, and you can sign for anything from 80% to 120% of that rookie pay-scale rate. Most early first rounders (1-15) get the full 120%, with the rest usually getting somewhere in between 100% - 120%. My bet is that the Magic F.O. is trying to get Okeke to take closer to the 80%, as that will get them closer to the luxury tax line, possibly even keep them under it; and that his agent is holding out for him to get more. 

23 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Here's what I think is happening - the rookie scale is only partially set in stone. There is a range of pay for each position, and you can sign for anything from 80% to 120% of that rookie pay-scale rate. Most early first rounders (1-15) get the full 120%, with the rest usually getting somewhere in between 100% - 120%. My bet is that the Magic F.O. is trying to get Okeke to take closer to the 80%, as that will get them closer to the luxury tax line, possibly even keep them under it; and that his agent is holding out for him to get more. 

Almost all first rounders get the full 120%. It's only happened a few times over the past 6 years and I don't think it's happened with a guy picked in the top 25. 

Also it's terrible from an optics standpoint to do that. Every other player who's agreed to take less agreed to that prior to being drafted and signed their contact really early in July. And they usually take less because they're probably going to be early second rounders and the team says "we'll take you late in the first round to give you more guaranteed money but you have to do us a favor and give some money back". 

The rookie scale percentages are just a compromise between the league and the agents to give a justification for rookies entering the draft to hire agents as there's still something for them to negotiate. It's a formality. Trying to low-ball a rookie picked in the teens is a good way to get your franchise  blackballed by agents. 

28 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Almost all first rounders get the full 120%. It's only happened a few times over the past 6 years and I don't think it's happened with a guy picked in the top 25. 

13 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Also it's terrible from an optics standpoint to do that. Every other player who's agreed to take less agreed to that prior to being drafted and signed their contact really early in July. And they usually take less because they're probably going to be early second rounders and the team says "we'll take you late in the first round to give you more guaranteed money but you have to do us a favor and give some money back". 

The rookie scale percentages are just a compromise between the league and the agents to give a justification for rookies entering the draft to hire agents as there's still something for them to negotiate. It's a formality. Trying to low-ball a rookie picked in the teens is a good way to get your franchise  blackballed by agents. 

But, he might not have been picked in the first round at all, due to the fact he's scheduled to miss at least half the season because of the injury. So that does seem to give them some "justification" for going lower, or at least starting lower. Also, contracts are "pro-rated" based on the percentage of the year remaining when you sign it; so if they don't sign Okeke until November or December, that also might bring the team in under the luxury tax line. It would stink for Okeke, because even if he signs for the full 120% at that point, he's already missing out on some of this year's money; though it would mean he gets the full potential salary for 2020-21. 

I don't buy it. The Spurs were high on Okeke and were rumoured to be the team that would have taken him if Orlando hadn't. He would have gone in the first round anyway.

It also looks terrible if you try and get a rookie to take 80 percent if it's not already been agreed before he is picked. You just don't do it. It's rather puzzling why the contract hasn't been signed yet though.