Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

12 hours ago, hootie249 said:

This is why i get so upset about the near misses in the last 3 drafts. We were so close to that transcendent player.Hopefully one of our guys rises above.

Who are you talking about? Are the near misses players we passed over or were they taken before we picked? Some things can’t be helped and some things can. I would be concerned about our talent evaluators if we passed over a guy.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Just a regular Magic fan said:

Who are you talking about? Are the near misses players we passed over or were they taken before we picked? Some things can’t be helped and some things can. I would be concerned about our talent evaluators if we passed over a guy.

The only draft pick I feel like we missed on and could have gotten better talent was the year we got Mario Hezonja. There were better options available for sure but thankfully for us that management is gone besides the untouchables (Martins and the Devos family.) I agree with you though with the rest. 

• Upvote 1

JI has been super mature and shown flashes of beating his man off the dribble. Hes played his role being a 5th option (as he should be at such a young age and trying to stay healthy) I think its lame to try to put a ceiling on a guy who's shown some amazing flashes, provides all NBA caliber defense, and has little to no major flaws. Hes played for 2 years. I could list 30 NBA superstars that haven't looked as good as JI they're first 2 years. Let's get realistic here.

See Kwahi Leonard, Tracy McGrady, Scottie Pippen and Kobe Bryant even to some extent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

The only draft pick I feel like we missed on and could have gotten better talent was the year we got Mario Hezonja. There were better options available for sure but thankfully for us that management is gone besides the untouchables (Martins and the Devos family.) I agree with you though with the rest. 

ehh..Martin was a problem before. Not anymore. He is not longer making any team decision. He gave all authority to current management. Outside of what he did in the past with getting invlove in horrible team decisions, He has been very good in the community.

The Devos family has been good for the franchise and players. They are spending money and they do want to win. There has been NO indication of them moving the team anywhere. 

11 hours ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

You act as if I predicted a death wish upon him. When did a few all star games or a 15 year career become a bad thing? This also isn't some random opinion I pulled out of thin air. He has been scouted (go back a page I posted his draftexpress evaluation) and he lacks a killer instinct whether you want to believe it or not. Again that isn't a bad thing being that there are only a handful of guys in the league that possess it anyways. I want to see every player on our team succeed I just won't over value a guy simply because I'm rooting form him. 

I agree with you and that what we have is not a finished product  (and No you do not predict a death wish on him) and it can lead to over evaluation AND under evaluation.  Isaac being selected for the USA "Select" team is an honor and hopefully will help his growth.  National folks seeing something in him which is a good sign but still not a total picture of what he will be.  I read DraftExpress too when he ws drafted and that  lack of "killer instinct" or what they described as "passivity at times" had to be fixed (and maybe still does.)  At the end they did say if he could get confidence on the offensive end (would come slowly they thought) he could rise to a much higher level.  I loved Draft Express for breaking down a playeer's game and before (I think it was ESPN who bought them) they were bought out and their product was negatively altered.  But I always knew they were evaluating college players and would miss the boat on some of their evaluations.  Here is Kawhi Leonard's.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kawhi-Leonard-5821/

What Draft Express cannot measure is the growth at the professional level which leads to these discussions.  IMHO,  I sawJI grow in confidence this past year and I hope it will continue.  My optimism is based on that and why I think he will prove Draft Express wrong but to temper that optimism, as you mention, is not a negative.  You will not be as disappointed as us JI advocates if you are right.   The joy of watching rookies develop takes time and patience.

Can anyone confirm the reason why Okeke isn’t signed yet? Is there a benefit for us or him waiting this long? Is there a reason we wouldn’t want to sign him yet?

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

Can anyone confirm the reason why Okeke isn’t signed yet? Is there a benefit for us or him waiting this long? Is there a reason we wouldn’t want to sign him yet?

No. But fwiw porzingis didn't sign his rookie contract until July 28th so this does happen occasionally. 

12 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

No. But fwiw porzingis didn't sign his rookie contract until July 28th so this does happen occasionally. 

Alright. Its getting weirder by the day to me. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

At least we can have solace to know this won't be a Fran Vasquez type of move... Right? 

2 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

There has to be a trade in the works. Only thing I can think that will make sense at this point. 

Also, did the forum went down for a few minutes earlier?