Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

7 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Read something or somebody from CBS sports saying we are talking Hayward for Evan and Bamba. DELUSIONAL people 

Yeah, no way that’s happening. As we’ve discussed, I think if we’re dealing with Boston at all we’re talking something based around Bamba for Brown.

21 hours ago, LaVar said:

please stop comparing okeke to an elite player like Green. Green is like barkley, plays bigger than his size. Not everyone can be Green. Let Okeke lace the shoes up 1st. Thompson is listed as 6"9 on most site and 6"10 on others. He is still bigger than okeke. We will see in 2020-2021. 

Whoa, I'm late to the party, but you do know that size isnt dependent upon your NBA status, right?

The statements about Okeke's size are facts. He is of similar size to Draymond and Thompson.

Nothing is being said to compare his playing ability to theirs, but size isnt dependent upon playing ability and accomplishments. 

6 hours ago, Years of Tragic and Magic said:

Money shouldn't even factor in to the equation.  Selling a Draft pick for cash considerations does nothing to contributing to the product on the court.

Yes however 1 year removed from "The Draft Flattening out" It isn't a good look for an organization to be selling draft picks.  If he's there and you feel he can make the roster you draft him period.

If they sign Jefferies I feel it shows that management is willing to sacrifice their product for short term financial gain.

I disagree with this take.

You don't just draft someone because they are there and you want them. If they are a player that is going to go undrafted, you maximize your assets by trading back, getting additional assets, and then getting that player at a lower cost.

Just drafting them just because they are there is overpaying for your product.

50 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Read something or somebody from CBS sports saying we are talking Hayward for Evan and Bamba. DELUSIONAL people 

Would be interesting if it wasn't pretty much impossible to make happen. Hayward is a pretty interesting buy low candidate but there's no situation that's not a bad deal for us

We'd have to send out a bit more than 26 million for the trade to work under the CBA but probably more like 28-29 million to avoid the hard cap. 

So look at the salaries we'd have to send out for him. Fournier and Bamba would be 22 million and change. So we'd have to send back a lot more. And he's not worth that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Franchise408 said:

I disagree with this take.

You don't just draft someone because they are there and you want them. If they are a player that is going to go undrafted, you maximize your assets by trading back, getting additional assets, and then getting that player at a lower cost.

Just drafting them just because they are there is overpaying for your product.

He was projected by some as a late first or second rounder.  Him going undrafted was a surprise. No one would've batted an eye if we took him with our second.

I'm Happy we were able to snag him in UDFA, however selling our picks every year looks so small market.

?4thewin did correct me though. I guess we acquired a future second along with cash considerations.

24 minutes ago, Years of Tragic and Magic said:

He was projected by some as a late first or second rounder.  Him going undrafted was a surprise. No one would've batted an eye if we took him with our second.

I'm Happy we were able to snag him in UDFA, however selling our picks every year looks so small market.

?4thewin did correct me though. I guess we acquired a future second along with cash considerations.

You're right though. It doesn't make sense to sell off basketball stuff for money 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

They're almost the same damn player. Including Bamba makes no sense at all. 

6 hours ago, Years of Tragic and Magic said:

It probably wasnt as much of a shock to NBA war rooms as it was to analysts. GM's are much more in tune with what's actually going on and how players are perceived than the analysts do. While analysts projected him that high, WeltHam probably recognized that NBA draft boards didnt have him that high and took the gamble that they could snag him in UDFA

But like ?forthewin, I moreso agree that trading picks simply for cash is dumb. Because at that point you could draft a player and sign your guy in UDFA and have an asset to trade later. But trading it for a future pick to get your guy in UDFA and have an additional pick for a future pick is just smart business.

5 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

It probably wasnt as much of a shock to NBA war rooms as it was to analysts. GM's are much more in tune with what's actually going on and how players are perceived than the analysts do. While analysts projected him that high, WeltHam probably recognized that NBA draft boards didnt have him that high and took the gamble that they could snag him in UDFA

But like ?forthewin, I moreso agree that trading picks simply for cash is dumb. Because at that point you could draft a player and sign your guy in UDFA and have an asset to trade later. But trading it for a future pick to get your guy in UDFA and have an additional pick for a future pick is just smart business.

Yup

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

We'd have to send out a bit more than 26 million for the trade to work under the CBA but probably more like 28-29 million to avoid the hard cap.

Vucevic is exactly in this range, and they need bigs. Perfect situation! :P :P :P

(wishful thinking)

19 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. And really we might actually need okeke's money in a DeRozan trade so it'd make sense to sign him. 

There's no situation that fully explains the delay. Even if the plan was to stash him we'd have already done that too. 

Which means it's either confusion, maybe he's got a doctor's appointment coming up and we want to look at his updated medicals before we commit, or something inconsequential. 

I am hoping for your confusion argument because it is perplexing.  Easy answer for myself, after being pumped about drafting Okeke and his skill set in today's NBA, is sign Okeke and then Jeffries, to a 2 way deal (I think Magette is the only 2 way deal we have).  If there is a medical concern about Okeke I cannot see the Spurs missing that which could void the trade.  Or, maybe it is just about the money and the luxury tax implications.  Have not heard from Okeke's camp but being the only unsigned first round pick, regardless of his injury, is not good optics.  Welcome to the business world, Chuma.  We need to get this right, soon!