Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

29 minutes ago, The Boss said:

Green and Thompson are also NBA 5's, and developed bodies. 

We are talking about Okeke playing the 4 with a similar size.

Okeke will get stronger, that's not a 'let's hope and wait and see', every player drafted gets stronger as they get older and train with NBA trainers.

green does not normally play 5. Only in stretches. 

and hopefully okeke can play pf, at some point, but I am not marking him now as a pf. He is a small forward until he shows he can play pf. That is what I am saying. Let him prove it first.  

On 7/19/2019 at 11:14 PM, ?4thewin said:

We have to do it until he's no longer a basketball player. 

He's basically been the Spanish league Tim Duncan from what I've seen. Mauro might have a better idea. All time Spanish and Euro league leader in blocks. Won a bunch of championships and cups. Was MVP of a Spanish cup (I don't know what that is). Wasn't a frequent member of the Spanish national team. I think if he came over he would have been something like Derrick Favors. 

Over here in Europe we usually call League anything that is decided by accumulating points over the season, and Cup anything that is knockout (like the NCAA tournament).

For some reason the World Cup and Champions League have basically the same format but one is called Cup and the other League, but don't pay too much attention to that.

Fran Vasquez is a twig and I really don't think he would have succeeded in the NBA

• Upvote 1

If Jefferies is signed to the roster why do we continually sell 2nd rounders instead of flat out drafting guys?  If you like the player and he fits what you're building don't take a chance he'll get drafted.  There's a lot of competition signing someone as an UDFA.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/orlandomagicdaily.com/2019/07/19/orlando-magic-rest-chuma-okeke-year-sign-daquan-jeffries/amp/

1 hour ago, Years of Tragic and Magic said:

If Jefferies is signed to the roster why do we continually sell 2nd rounders instead of flat out drafting guys?  If you like the player and he fits what you're building don't take a chance he'll get drafted.  There's a lot of competition signing someone as an UDFA.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/orlandomagicdaily.com/2019/07/19/orlando-magic-rest-chuma-okeke-year-sign-daquan-jeffries/amp/

I'm not sure what your point is. Isn't it better to have Jeffries, a future second rounder, and money instead of just Jeffries?

21 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I'm not sure what your point is. Isn't it better to have Jeffries, a future second rounder, and money instead of just Jeffries?

Money shouldn't even factor in to the equation.  Selling a Draft pick for cash considerations does nothing to contributing to the product on the court.

Yes however 1 year removed from "The Draft Flattening out" It isn't a good look for an organization to be selling draft picks.  If he's there and you feel he can make the roster you draft him period.

If they sign Jefferies I feel it shows that management is willing to sacrifice their product for short term financial gain.

5 minutes ago, Years of Tragic and Magic said:

Money shouldn't even factor in to the equation.  Selling a Draft pick for cash considerations does nothing to contributing to the product on the court.

Yes however 1 year removed from "The Draft Flattening out" It isn't a good look for an organization to be selling draft picks.  If he's there and you feel he can make the roster you draft him period.

If they sign Jefferies I feel it shows that management is willing to sacrifice their product for short term financial gain.

We didn't sell the pick. We obtained a future second. That's maintaining an asset. 

If we just got money for it I'd be with you. 

I don't really know why we're being so slow about filling that last spot. I get that we don't really want to go into the luxury tax for this team. We should save that for when we want to be a contender. But the luxury tax doesn't apply until the end of the season. We can just go a little over today and then flip Frazier for a guy on a rookie minimum mid season if we have to. 

33 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't really know why we're being so slow about filling that last spot. I get that we don't really want to go into the luxury tax for this team. We should save that for when we want to be a contender. But the luxury tax doesn't apply until the end of the season. We can just go a little over today and then flip Frazier for a guy on a rookie minimum mid season if we have to. 

Maybe we’re talking trade? Okeke still not being signed and us dragging our feet on the last spot makes me think we could be having trade conversations. I heard a rumor that the Spurs love Okeke and wanted him on draft night before we took him off the board. I want Dejounte, but I doubt they’d trade him. You’ve probably been right all along and we’re talking Derozan, but that would’ve been a hell of a lot easier if we didn’t cut Mozgov. That’s the part that makes the least sense so far.

54 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Maybe we’re talking trade? Okeke still not being signed and us dragging our feet on the last spot makes me think we could be having trade conversations. I heard a rumor that the Spurs love Okeke and wanted him on draft night before we took him off the board. I want Dejounte, but I doubt they’d trade him. You’ve probably been right all along and we’re talking Derozan, but that would’ve been a hell of a lot easier if we didn’t cut Mozgov. That’s the part that makes the least sense so far.

Yeah. And really we might actually need okeke's money in a DeRozan trade so it'd make sense to sign him. 

There's no situation that fully explains the delay. Even if the plan was to stash him we'd have already done that too. 

Which means it's either confusion, maybe he's got a doctor's appointment coming up and we want to look at his updated medicals before we commit, or something inconsequential. 

19 hours ago, KRISH10 said:

Still no Dequan Jeffries news ?

giphy.gif

So funny, Krish! It cracks me up every time you post that question, especially when I look at your avatar.

At times, a fellow poster, 'The Boss', does the same to me when he says something funny while I'm looking at his avatar.

Edit: What I mean by this is: You never say anything else (which is okay with me.) It reminds me of the movie "Are We There Yet?"

4 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Didn't we just gave Jefferson the last spot?