Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

13 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

People jumped all over me when I questioned whether Aminu filled a need on this team.

I actually watched some of Portland's games when they played the Magic during the regular season and while watching them play Golden State in both the regular season and the playoffs.

Aminu is better at defense than offense. People look at youtube highlights and believe this is the way a player plays all the time.

Aminu played on a good team surrounded by very good players like Lillard, McCollum and others who were able to cover up any deficiencies or inconsistencies of Aminu.

I have Hulu that has the DVR feature. I played back a playoff game between the Blazers and Golden State where Aminu seemed lost and was benched in the 1st quarter. I watched the game up through one half of the 3rd quarter. He did not start the 3rd quarter. (By the way he was one of the starting 5 on the Blazers.)

My concern was and still is that  what we need is to fill a need for offense.

He won't be a starter here. He's just going to be a placeholder for Okeke. 

Just now, ?4thewin said:

He won't be a starter here. He's just going to be a placeholder for Okeke. 

I know that he (Aminu) won't be a starter. But things happen such as, foul trouble or injuries (Isaac and Gordon tend to get into early foul trouble.)

Aminu is a 2-way player at sf and pf. Who will be his backup if and when he starts to struggle.

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He really struggled with lateral movement. He's not very athletic. He can't play vucevic's role as a passer or a shooter. 

I agree. Now sign Jeffries or Nunn to that two way contract!

3 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I know that he (Aminu) won't be a starter. But things happen such as, foul trouble or injuries (Isaac and Gordon tend to get into early foul trouble.)

Aminu is a 2-way player at sf and pf. Who will be his backup if and when he starts to struggle.

He's not really going to struggle. That's just what a 8th-9th man looks like. For every bad game you can point to where he needed to be benched in the playoffs I can point to one where he scored in double figures or had 3 blocks or steals. 

He's a good player who provides a lot of positive value

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

He's not really going to struggle. That's just what a 8th-9th man looks like. For every bad game you can point to where he needed to be benched in the playoffs I can point to one where he scored in double figures or had 3 blocks or steals. 

He's a good player who provides a lot of positive value

Okay, so maybe struggle is not the term I'm looking for.  I think what I should replace 'struggle' with is 'not a fit' on this team.

Example, when Wade joined up (again) with LeBron in Cleveland. Wade struggled to fit on the Cavs team.

Is that a good example?

9 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Okay, so maybe struggle is not the term I'm looking for.  I think what I should replace 'struggle' with is 'not a fit' on this team.

Example, when Wade joined up (again) with LeBron in Cleveland. Wade struggled to fit on the Cavs team.

Is that a good example?

I don't think he doesn't fit. He's basically a better version of iwundu and Martin. 

It's hard for a guy like aminu to not fit anywhere because he does all of the little things you want from a bench guy. 

I mean, would we be better off with Rudy Gay or Marcus Morris? Definitely. But those guys also make more than we could spend. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't think he doesn't fit. He's basically a better version of iwundu and Martin. 

It's hard for a guy like aminu to not fit anywhere because he does all of the little things you want from a bench guy. 

I mean, would we be better off with Rudy Gay or Marcus Morris? Definitely. But those guys also make more than we could spend. 

Okay, got it.

8 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Okay, got it.

Yeah. 

I think the main thing to remember is we definitely went in to this summer wanting another two way combo forward so we can maintain a style of play when we go to bench lineups. Aminu was just the best version of that.

Really hope we sign this guy:

”One of my personal favorites is Jeffries. His draft stock varies greatly depending on who you ask. Some project him as borderline first round; some see him going undrafted. Jeffries shot 36.6 percent from 3 last season, and effectively defended multiple positions with his burly frame. He’s a clunky ball handler but displays excellent passing vision off the dribble.

Jeffries is like a quarterback going through his reads in the clip above. He notices that the entry pass is well covered before throwing a dart across the court to an open shooter. Are you betting on the player who has an innate feel for the game but needs to improve his handle? Or the player with a slick crossover who doesn’t notice an open shooter or cutter? Give me Jeffries.”

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/6/6/18654810/nba-draft-draymond-green-role-players-grant-williams

Miami will take on Wall’s contract if it means acquiring Beal... And Washington is saying no thanks. What? Seems like a no brainer for Washington to me.

“According to sources, there is sentiment inside the the Heat to take the final four years and $171 million of injured point guard John Wall’s contract if it would allow Miami to land Beal, who is eligible for free agency in the summer of 2021. But Washington appears unwilling to do that at this time.”

“When John was healthy, he was one of the top players in the NBA hands down,” Sheppard said. “He’ll be healthy again.”

www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article232568002.html#storylink=cpy

56 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Miami will take on Wall’s contract if it means acquiring Beal... And Washington is saying no thanks. What? Seems like a no brainer for Washington to me.

“According to sources, there is sentiment inside the the Heat to take the final four years and $171 million of injured point guard John Wall’s contract if it would allow Miami to land Beal, who is eligible for free agency in the summer of 2021. But Washington appears unwilling to do that at this time.”

“When John was healthy, he was one of the top players in the NBA hands down,” Sheppard said. “He’ll be healthy again.”

www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article232568002.html#storylink=cpy

Beal is the owners favorite player he's ever had on the team so they're not interested in trading him

Edit: autocorrect errors

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

Break is the owners favorite player he's ever had on the team so they're not interested in trading him

People think he’s playing games when he says Beal isn’t available... dude loves him some Bradley Beal.