Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

6 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

We haven't had any cap room from like 1992-1999, 2000-2007, 2008-2015, 2017-present. 

So all the times we had major cap room the result was:

1. Didn't get anyone because we were an expansion team

2. Grabbed 2 of the top 3 guys on the market.

3. Grabbed an all star and our number one target

4. Couldn't pull in Paul Millsap

5. Blew all of our money on crap players. 

So when we can sell winning+money+location we usually get guys. When we can't sell winning we can't get guys. 

So it's not wrong to try and win now. We need to be able to sell Fultz, Isaac, Bamba and Gordon as pieces of a championship roster just missing their star. Or Fultz and Isaac as the main pieces on the roster with the rest of the guys going to another team in a trade to pair the free agent with a second guy. 

But we need to create the room before any of this is possible

Weltman made it very clear in his press conference that the player chooses the team. I'm curious. Why did Farouq choose us? Did he have other options or were we about it?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27125793/these-kids-ticking-bombs-threat-youth-basketball

Interesting article that might explain the rise in injuries recently, especially of big injuries with rookies. This goes beyond the "young players are soft" thinking.

To sum up:

1. Over-specialization. Kids are getting too much wear and tear on their bodies at a young age by really only playing one sport (in this case basketball). This creates excessive wear on the body from doing similar movements over and over again.

2. Little down time. One of the examples used was how older players back in the 90s and before didn't do as much off season training as today. This helped protect their bodies from extra wear and tear as well. A lot of youth players and NBA players are going 8 months or more with lots of games.

3. Lack of focus on basics. Lots of young players focus on being able to pull off highlight type plays (think dunks), but not on everything else around it- for example, how to land.

4. Too much too soon. Many young players do too much before their bodies have fully developed and are ready to take on more strenuous activity.

I'd be stoked if Wes makes a jump and takes over the starting SG role. I feel with the signing of Aminu, Wes' minutes at SF will be gone so he'll need to develop his SG skills to get minutes.

2 hours ago, Mack1085 said:

I love Wes. I thought his defense was excellent last season. If his shooting from the second half of the season holds (43% from 3), he'll be a great 3 and D player for us this season.

I read that he was the 5th best defender in the entire NBA by opponent field goal percentage. I love the guy.

17 minutes ago, The Boss said:

I'd be stoked if Wes makes a jump and takes over the starting SG role. I feel with the signing of Aminu, Wes' minutes at SF will be gone so he'll need to develop his SG skills to get minutes.

I wouldn't bet on Wes starting at any point this year. We are too reliant on Fournier being our "get a bucket" guy. Until we can replace that Wes will manning the bench.  

23 minutes ago, HeartAndHustle said:

I read that he was the 5th best defender in the entire NBA by opponent field goal percentage. I love the guy.

That's a little misleading. He really shut down backups but whenever they put him on talented offensive players he struggled. And that's fine. He's a pretty good defender. But not some elite guy. 

18 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

That's a little misleading. He really shut down backups but whenever they put him on talented offensive players he struggled. And that's fine. He's a pretty good defender. But not some elite guy. 

Ah, I didn't think about that. I wonder if there is a stat that factors in the offensive skill/efficiency of the guy you're defending.

3 hours ago, Just a regular Magic fan said:

Weltman made it very clear in his press conference that the player chooses the team. I'm curious. Why did Farouq choose us? Did he have other options or were we about it?

Probably because we jumped early and offered him that third year before other teams got their act together. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. I've said this a few times over the past couple years but it's not really large vs small markets anymore. It's mega markets vs medium vs small. 

There's LA, NY, Chicago. 

There's the next group of 20 teams.

Then there's the small markets, Indianapolis, Salt lake City, San Antonio, Milwaukee, OKC, New Orleans, Memphis.

We're much closer to Dallas than Oklahoma City. Maybe not Dallas as defined in city limits. But the greater Orlando market vs the greater Dallas market is similar

We’re about 1100 miles from Dallas and 1200 from Oklahoma City, so yeah, closer. Maybe not much closer but definitely closer.  100 miles is nothing to sneeze at.