Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

5 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

None of the teams that are winning are total defensive juggernauts. The warriors play defense but they still give up a ton of points and always have. 

All of the teams that are winning have a superstar (with the exception of Toronto, all more then 1), and can score way more points then our current lineup every projects to be able to do. 

The Mavericks were probably the last team to even be close to a non superstar team winning. But Dirk was still elite then. 

Still waiting on how my original post was not true at all. 

Superstar teams win. Defense isn’t as valuable as it was 10 years ago. The pistons played great defense but they have 3 guys that could still create their own offense and score consistently. 

Thats not untrue. 

Do you think a team this year is going to win that isn’t a superstar team? If you do, I’ll get you the Vegas odds and you can make some good money. 

Every team that wins is a defensive Juggernaut. Golden State had an elite defense. Toronto had an elite defense and succeeded because they threw 5 great defenders on the court at the same time. 

17 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Have you ever thought that they didn't make a backcourt move because they have had six months to evaluate Fultz and it made them confident they didn't need to make another backcourt move?

Or could it be they just don’t know for sure because he hasn’t even scrimmaged and they simply just failed to make a move?

5 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Delon Wright fits everything we are trying to build here yet we never made a move on him for the past 2 years when he was beyond attainable. 

We’d rather sign another versatile forward who can’t shoot consistently. 

We basically traded for him until Philly put Fultz on the table and we preferred Fultz

Just now, HeHateMe said:

Delon Wright fits everything we are trying to build here yet we never made a move on him for the past 2 years when he was beyond attainable. 

We’d rather sign another versatile forward who can’t shoot consistently. 

Exactly! And you can replace his name with 10 other guys. We have had a guard problem since we traded Dipo. Dipo was a combo guard who could play some point and we realized the next year Elfrid wasn't the answer.It's amazing how little time and assets we have put into the position. Yes this is beating a dead horse.

9 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

I'm more worried by the fact that we're somehow accepting mediocrity, confirming players and giving them big contracts just because they want to be here, as this offseason moves remember me a little of that period when we were trying to convince ourselves that losing Dipo, or signing Biyombo, was not such a big deal..

Yup and like I said it would be, it’s been great material to post on FB, “We got our all star back!” Which it’s fine and good marketing but some who are intuitive, it also feels generic and even an acceptance of failure to improve.

21 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I loved one of the responses - "I would love it if they made it back to the NBA, just not on my team."

And watch Monta end up on ours

21 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I loved one of the responses - "I would love it if they made it back to the NBA, just not on my team."

And watch Monta end up on ours

1 hour ago, JayMac said:

Hi everybody,

It's my first post, even though have been following this forum for some time, so would like to start by congratulating you all and hoping to bring something positive to it.

I'm not going to write about the contracts just signed, there has been already a lot of posts about it but one thing that I can't avoid worrying about is our options for guards at the moment... First of all, there is some quality but for what we are aiming for this coming season, I do believe we are very weak in our back-court position, especially at PG...

It's amazing to have TRoss back but what about the rest? Yes, DJ performed well last season, MCW contaminated the team (and us fans) with his on-court hustle and Fournier had some good calls on the clock... But are we really resting our back-court hopes mostly on them for the entire season, and hopefully playoffs? What if anyone, gets injured? I can't wait to see Fultz fully recovered and back in the court but, let's be honest, there is absolutely no guarantees that this will happen.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there is currently space for 2 more players in our roster. One, I presume will be for Khem Birch. As for the second one, I would definitely try to bring in some guard that can become an asset straight away and also fit within our long-term plans. Someone like Frank Jackson!

I don't know exactly how a deal for him would be done (though his salary is not high, not sure we have too much margin) but I would say he is very worth the try. Not only due to the skill-set he shows but also because he looks to be behind Jrue-Lonzo-NAW in the Pelicans court priority. What you guys think?

Welcome. 

Yes, we have 2 spots left and the FO hope Birch takes one, but their still negotiating. I'd say its 50/50, and by reading between the lines, we should have an answer on Birch very soon.

As for Frank, he's ok, but wouldn't play at all. With DJ, Fultz, MCW...no room for a 4th PG. Especially as we figure out what we have in Fultz. Maybe next year when we have a better POV of our PG situation. 

Our last spot should go to a combo guard that has some experience and some untapped potential. My wish is for us to get Ntilikina. 

It’s clear WeltHam are riding the Fultz hope train this year. They want to see if he’ll pan out, which I can respect. Meanwhile, DJ played okay for us last year but he’s a backup guard. Honestly, both he and Vooch were almost unplayable in the playoffs once Toronto learned to target them through switches. I suspect that if Fultz doesn’t work out by mid year, we will see a trade for D. Russell or Lowry.