Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

2 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

I think  the Magic just screwed themselves by cutting and stretching Mozgov. Some of the best trades i could come up with involved his contract.

Maybe this is good for the Magic. They seem to get fleeced in trades  especially if the they trade with Morey,Presti or Masai.

I think the Rockets,Raptors and Thunder will make big moves after that huge Clippers trade. Thunder and Raptors to rebuild, Rockets to keep up with the league.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

The trade machine is up and running again. I love using this keep track of players they update it every day.

I cannot come up with any realistic trades for us with those 3 teams. I'm pretty sure we are locked into our roster.

The good news is we should be fun to watch.

The bad news is our ceiling depends on Fultz, Isaac or Bamba.

Of all our players i think only Bamba and Isaac have a chance to be special, maybe. 

This is Gordon's last year to impress me, i think he can be an all-star but only as a reserve, not an Alpha.

Nah. Actually by waiving and stretching Mozgov’s contract we can absorb more salary coming back via trade. AG and Fournier for Westbrook works for example.

• Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Nah. Actually by waiving and stretching Mozgov’s contract we can absorb more salary coming back via trade. AG and Fournier for Westbrook works for example.

If they threw in Ferguson i would do that in a heartbeat. Mostly because it would be fun to be relevant again. Problem is Presti would fight and claw to keep Ferguson and insist on our draft picks coming back to Houston. He would sell it as a privilege to get Westbrook, instead of a salary dump, which it is.

Again i would do that in a heartbeat as long as we got Ferguson.

Had to edit:

Of course to save face i think any team they trade him to will have to throw in a pick, i just wouldn't want it to be too much.

In our scenario Presti can easily play Gordon and Fournier or flip them for more assets. Still i think he would ask for a first rounder.

• Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

If they threw in Ferguson i would do that in a heartbeat. Mostly because it would be fun to be relevant again. Problem is Presti would fight and claw to keep Ferguson and insist on our draft picks coming back to Houston. He would sell it as a privilege to get Westbrook, instead of a salary dump, which it is.

Again i would do that in a heartbeat as long as we got Ferguson.

Had to edit:

Of course to save face i think any team they trade him to will have to throw in a pick, i just wouldn't want it to be too much.

In our scenario Presti can easily play Gordon and Fournier or flip them for more assets. Still i think he would ask for a first rounder.

He for sure would ask for assets, but I find it hard to believe Westbrook has positive value around the league. AG was our best playoff performer and people are willing to trade him for a declining player with one of the worst contracts in the NBA. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, King Close said:

He for sure would ask for assets, but I find it hard to believe Westbrook has positive value around the league. AG was our best playoff performer and people are willing to trade him for a declining player with one of the worst contracts in the NBA. 

Yeah i think giving up one of our best young players for one of the biggest contracts in the NBA could be bad. Advanced metrics on Westbrook look terrible, the guy can't shoot.

However, in this scenario, it does 2 things for the Magic. First it puts us back to the forefront. We get a former MVP, a player who moves the needle a little bit.

The second reason it would be good for us, we would still have a young core while making the playoffs. Ross,Westbrook and Vucevic easily get us to the playoffs in the east.

Isaac,Bamba,Futlz,Ferguson and Okeke are the future and i think one of them has a higher ceiling then Gordon.

That being said, there is no way Presti trades with us without asking for one our young core, plus Gordon. Gordon has to be included because of the salary and i think Presti would want a younger piece since it would be a full rebuild.

It's not going to happen but if i were gm i would do it, as long as we got Ferguson with Westbrook.

Had to edit because i have already listened to two radio shows this morning suggesting a trade with the Magic.

I would love the trade and have no fear giving up Gordon, i would be afraid of what else they would trade.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Yeah i think giving up one of our best young players for one of the biggest contracts in the NBA could be bad. Advanced metrics on Westbrook look terrible, the guy can't shoot.

However, in this scenario, it does 2 things for the Magic. First it puts us back to the forefront. We get a former MVP, a player who moves the needle a little bit.

The second reason it would be good for us, we would still have a young core while making the playoffs. Ross,Westbrook and Vucevic easily get us to the playoffs in the east.

Isaac,Bamba,Futlz,Ferguson and Okeke are the future and i think one of them has a higher ceiling then Gordon.

That being said, there is no way Presti trades with us without asking for one our young core, plus Gordon. Gordon has to be included because of the salary and i think Presti would want a younger piece since it would be a full rebuild.

It's not going to happen but if i were gm i would do it, as long as we got Ferguson with Westbrook.

Sure we would more than likely make the playoffs, but if we’re so hell-bent on trading for a star why not wait for one of the disgruntled stars to demand a trade? If we trade for Westbrook we’re essentially trapped for the remainder of his contract, stuck with the same roster. 

19 hours ago, VolsBillsMagic said:

We did the last 7 years and look what it got us... You win championships in the NBA through trades and free agency. It's the complete opposite of the NFL. Building like Golden State is like catching lightning 3 times in a row in the same bottle. It's so rare and even they brought in the biggest FA prize 3 years ago to win their last 2 titles.

18 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

I agree with this, but you are dealing with an audience on this forum that thinks tanking for picks is the only way to build a contender, despite the fact that it has been proven wrong time and time again.

Count me in as one who strongly agrees with this and has been insulted and ridiculed on this forum for it.  This was a pretty toxic place for anyone who disagreed with Hennigans blueprint for the team a few years ago.

I’m not on the Westbrook train myself but strongly agree that the “make yourself terrible” approach to winning by getting high draft picks is extremely risky at best. If you don’t strike gold, it sets the stage for long term futility.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, King Close said:

Sure we would more than likely make the playoffs, but if we’re so hell-bent on trading for a star why not wait for one of the disgruntled stars to demand a trade? If we trade for Westbrook we’re essentially trapped for the remainder of his contract, stuck with the same roster. 

We keep saying let’s trade for a disgruntled star. One is traded every year but we do nothing. Here right now we have a star available and it’s “he’s too expensive.” Dude is a 8 time all star. 

On 7/3/2019 at 7:03 AM, TreyMachine said:

Y’all are truly hating. Post All-Star break we were #1 in the league in defensive efficiency and had the #3 record in the East. How does everyone assume we will still be fighting for the 8th seed with this same hungry team? 

The problem is that one of the main catalysts for last year’s surprising run was Bamba getting injured and Birch replacing him.  That is unlikely to happen this year, even if Birch is on the team which isn’t clear.  Now everyone is assuming Bamba will be much better this year but I prefer to wait and see it before believing it.  Every summer people talk about how much better some of our players will get the next season, and with one or two exceptions (Isaac being the main one which no one was even calling for before the season - everyone thought he’d be injured again) it doesn’t happen.  

We were actually pretty bad with the Vuch/Bamba center rotation.  We could potentially go backwards this year.  

27 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Dude is a 8 time all star. 

Dwight is too. Also a 3x DPOY. We should super max him. 

9 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

The problem is that one of the main catalysts for last year’s surprising run was Bamba getting injured and Birch replacing him.  That is unlikely to happen this year, even if Birch is on the team which isn’t clear.  Now everyone is assuming Bamba will be much better this year but I prefer to wait and see it before believing it.  Every summer people talk about how much better some of our players will get the next season, and with one or two exceptions (Isaac being the main one which no one was even calling for before the season - everyone thought he’d be injured again) it doesn’t happen.  

We were actually pretty bad with the Vuch/Bamba center rotation.  We could potentially go backwards this year.  

In all fairness I wasn’t on the boards officially when Isaac first came into the league (lurker) but I’ve been sold on him from day one and the injuries to his ankles were the only thing holding him back. He looks to have overcome those ankle issues and has been trending upward ever since he got consistent playing time. If we run more offense for JI this year you will see his play increase in both ends of the floor but especially in his ppg. I see him having all the tools to becoming one of our All Stars on this team. I believe we have a few more on the team as well if developed correctly and given consistent minutes. Anyways this year should be a good one with the continued development and growth of our boys and the continuity with the coaching staff I see us making a jump as a team and fighting for a 4 seed or higher. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Excellent comparison. You’ve changed my mind.  

Ok so you don’t think Dwight is an option. I don’t either. But if that’s how you feel, you’re saying that there is a type of player who, despite prior accolades, is not currently productive or good enough to justify financially crippling the team for years. Westbrook fits in that category just like Dwight does, just not to as extreme of a degree.

• Upvote 1