Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

Re: Fultz

I dont remember where I read it, but basically, he's in the last stage of his rehab. That does NOT mean, he's ready to play. That just means once rehab is done, he can begin basketball activities. Start with 2 vs 2, then 3 vs 3, then eventually 5 vs 5. I think he should be cleared by September, when the players migrate back to orlando for pickups and conditioning.

Look, I agree that Westbrook would make us theoretically better, but we ignore a few factors:

1. What will it cost? Players? Picks? Will we need to blow up our slow-growth roster of young players for a 2-3 year window with him? 

2. Will it adversely affect our player development? Guys who could be leaders in the locker room and on the court would naturally take a back seat to someone who demands so much in the locker room and ball dominance on the court. 

3. Will it therefore adversely effect our team culture? It seems to be built on certain personalities and a communal environment. A personality like Westbrook can blow up a healthy locker room cultur.

If we learned anything from the Oladipo / Ibaka and Harris trades, you don’t give up young 20’s upside for a 30 year old who might throw all of these into a talespin.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Westbrook wouldn't improve it and would kill our future. 

You can’t actually think Westbrook isn’t an upgrade over DJ and MCW right? 

I wouldn’t go to twitter with that take. 

Westbrook isn’t efficient. He’s overrated by his “triple doubles”. But he does plenty of things at an elite level. Saying he wouldn’t improve our backcourt this year is insanely wrong and one of the worst takes I’ve ever heard on this forum. 

Tanking our future? I can get with that take more. But we’re already 100 million committed to being mediocre with Vuc and their contracts are the same length. The only way it tanks our future is if we gave up multiple picks and AG and Bamba and someone else of the core. Which would probably be the case so that’s why I lean towards agreeing with you on this one. 

12 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Look, I agree that Westbrook would make us theoretically better, but we ignore a few factors:

1. What will it cost? Players? Picks? Will we need to blow up our slow-growth roster of young players for a 2-3 year window with him? 

2. Will it adversely affect our player development? Guys who could be leaders in the locker room and on the court would naturally take a back seat to someone who demands so much in the locker room and ball dominance on the court. 

3. Will it therefore adversely effect our team culture? It seems to be built on certain personalities and a communal environment. A personality like Westbrook can blow up a healthy locker room cultur.

If we learned anything from the Oladipo / Ibaka and Harris trades, you don’t give up young 20’s upside for a 30 year old who might throw all of these into a talespin.

1. I believe we can keep youth and still make the trade. JI would definitely be kept. AG on the other hand would probably be dealt with Fournier and or someone else. Bamba might be included as well.

2. Who’s our leader right now? I mean this is something we said we’ve been lacking for years.

3. Westbrook isn’t a cancer. He’s an alpha who competes.

Last statement, I agree but we are overloaded in the frontcourt without any real option to improve for the immediate future in the backcourt. Maybe we can get D’Angelo in December. Maaaybe but does he help us? He doesn’t get to the line. Doesn’t get to the basket a lot which even Cliff mentioned last night we are in desperate need of. He isn’t real efficient in his passing. FA next year is weak. Teams don’t just give away young talented point guards.

Arguing about Westbrook is giving me flashbacks to when we argued about John Wall last year. It’s not happening and we shouldn’t want it to. We’re taking a slow, methodical approach in team building that we’re not gonna blow on an overrated guy with way too many miles on the tires. 

2 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Arguing about Westbrook is giving me flashbacks to when we argued about John Wall last year. It’s not happening and we shouldn’t want it to. We’re taking a slow, methodical approach in team building that we’re not gonna blow on an overrated guy with way too many miles on the tires. 

I don’t think I’d put John Wall and Westbrook in the same tier.

6 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

What is slow and methodical about giving Vuc 100 million when you have a top 6 pick at the same position entering his second year? 

Also, you can’t say it’s not happening. There’s always at least a 1% chance of these things happening. 

I’m not even saying I’d want it to happen. I would initially be excited but then I’d be like “oh we are gonna be a 4 seed for 4 years as opposed to a 7 seed for 4 years. Is it really worth it? Probably not. 

But let’s not act like Westbrook isn’t an upgrade over what we currently have even if it would be a bad long term move. 

4 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Or fricking jerian grant!!!  Comparing grant and Westbrook is an all time low for u know who

Yeah I mean you’re going to have a hard time finding efficient numero uno’s. You might find one or so but most guys who dominate the ball aren’t the most efficient percentage wise. The ones that are, aren’t going to be traded until they are near retirement.

Fultz is 20.

Westbrook is 30. 

Making a trade for Westbrook only happens if our management is certain the Fultz won’t work out.