Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

Why would Philly max Ben Simmons today instead of using the year to confirm he's the right guy to bet on long term?

A lot of his hype was built around his performance the first 3 months off his career with projections of "if he's this good now, how will he look when he hits his prime?" 

But he's basically plateaued since. 

And it's not that big of a deal because it's just his second year. And it's not like he's Wiggins, he's already a useful player on both sides of the court. 

But there are fatal flaws in his game that have kept him closer to "rich man's Evan Turner" unique player but not a top 20 guy who might not fit next to your real Superstar. 

Why not just take this year to learn more about him?

34 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Why would Philly max Ben Simmons today instead of using the year to confirm he's the right guy to bet on long term?

A lot of his hype was built around his performance the first 3 months off his career with projections of "if he's this good now, how will he look when he hits his prime?" 

But he's basically plateaued since. 

And it's not that big of a deal because it's just his second year. And it's not like he's Wiggins, he's already a useful player on both sides of the court. 

But there are fatal flaws in his game that have kept him closer to "rich man's Evan Turner" unique player but not a top 20 guy who might not fit next to your real Superstar. 

Why not just take this year to learn more about him?

There's a potential he could leave? I'm in total agreement but I think they wanted to send the message they believe he's the face of the franchise for the foreseeable future. 

4 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

There's a potential he could leave? I'm in total agreement but I think they wanted to send the message they believe he's the face of the franchise for the foreseeable future. 

I guess he could demand a trade. But he's a restricted free agent next summer so you control his next contract.

I guess maybe they think it doesn't matter because they already messed up their cap future so giving him 5/170 instead of 4/110 doesn't really make a difference to them. 

On 7/1/2019 at 10:53 AM, ?4thewin said:

Tobias. 

I still don't see what teams see in him that takes him such significantly higher than the randle, Aaron Gordon, Bobby Portis, Barnes, Rudy Gay tier of guys. 

He's an opportunistic scorer. He finds times throughout games to accumulate points. That's not a bad thing to be but when he plays against great defensive players they limit those opportunities and he can't create for himself. That's not a max money guy. 

This reminds me of this article asking whether you would rather have AG or TH.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2018/8/16/17704090/nba-would-you-rather-tobias-harris-aaron-gordon

56 minutes ago, HeartAndHustle said:

Gordon, hes 90 mil cheaper and plays two ways with improving playmaking abilities 

• Upvote 2

Might sound too optimistic to some but for myself I fully expect our team to be fighting for homecourt next season. 

If we can stay relatively injury free and our internal development that I'm expecting comes to fruition I honestly believe we are gonna be a real good team.

Continuity is going to he massive for us. 

If Kahwi goes Lakers the East is wide open

• Upvote 2