Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

1 minute ago, jmmagicfan said:

There is also the possibility that we are waiting for the teams with cap space to thin out a little bit more. Assuming that we do re-sign MCW as has been rumored, then we are currently at 14 players under contract.

Augustin/MCW/Fultz

Fournier/Ross/Iwundu

Isaac/Aminu/Frazier

Gordon/Okeke

Vucevic/Bamba/Mozgov

Assuming we intend on matching Birch, that puts us at 15 players. I think Jefferson's qualifying offer only had to be for a 2-way contract, so if someone offers him a regular contract, he is probably gone. That means the only way we could sign another PG would be to waive (and/or stretch) someone currently on the roster; and sign the PG using some or all of the Bi-Annual Exception. Since that is only about $3M, we may be waiting to see if anyone worthwhile falls out closer to the end of free agency. At that point, we could pick up someone. We don't have to stretch Mozgov, if we don't mind paying the luxury tax this year. It would save the cap space going forward. 

We already resigned MCW.

We're probably not matching Birch

37 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I mean, it'd be dumb not to hedge a little bit if we expect him to be anything but a totally normal NBA player entering the season. 

Maybe they are being foolish? It's possible. 

You're being a little too kind I think.  If there is a scenario where Fultz is not on track and yet the FO fails to address the position despite unfiltered access to his daily workouts, that's more than dumb or foolish.  That would be flat out negligence.  It's the main reason why I am optimistic about his status -- I refuse to believe they could be that negligent.

8 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We already resigned MCW.

I put MCW as rumored only because of the lack of details, note I did include him the 14 under contract. I can see us going either way with Birch - I know he wasn't happy as the 3rd center last year, and probably wouldn't be again; so we might let him go if someone makes an offer. On the other hand, he was very valuable in the stretch run when Bamba went down, so he has value to us, and we do need a third big for injury protection (unless you think the shell of Mozgov might be re-animated). I don't see Jefferson filling that role, so we might have to go elsewhere. I don't really see us going with Vucevic/Bamba/Mozgov as the bigs. I suppose we could use Isaac and/or Aminu in an injury situation, I would just hate to see either trying to play against a Gasol, Gobert, Cousins, Jokic, and the other big-bodied centers.

14 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We already resigned MCW.

Birch wants to play and resigning him would probably push us over the cap. Love the guy, but, even if we don't sign anyone else, we have options. Always can use Isaac, Gordon, or Aminu as a 3rd center for small minutes and could resign Amile Jefferson for cheap/on a two-way for that final spot.

4 minutes ago, Odin said:

Birch wants to play and resigning him would probably push us over the cap. Love the guy, but, even if we don't sign anyone else, we have options. Always can use Isaac, Gordon, or Aminu as a 3rd center for small minutes and could resign Amile Jefferson for cheap/on a two-way for that final spot.

I think either Mozgov is that third center or we cut him and sign a guy like ekpe udoh or Salah Mejri for the minimum

6 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think either Mozgov is that third center or we cut him and sign a guy like ekpe udoh or Salah Mejri for the minimum

Or that. Even if Mozgov is the third center (or either of those two) though, I don't think they are likely to get many minutes.