Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

2 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

The only way we could have done that was if we renounced Ross and Vooch and stretched Moz. Clearly, management aims to give Fultz a legit shot and wanted the other guys back. Moz still is an untapped resource for us to leverage, too.

I gave you a like because of the number.  :P

• Upvote 1

One positive about Orlando coming to terms with Aminu on a three-year, $29 million deal is that it wasn’t Portland that did. In a free-agency summer that’s eerily like 2016, the Blazers aren’t the ones loading up on large contracts. Granted, part of that’s due to their cap space still being constricted from their 2016 splurge; Portland was likely hoping to use what little it had—like the taxpayer mid-level exception—to re-sign Aminu. (That exception can run up to three years.) But it’s also likely that the Magic will regret committing to Aminu for three years, and as the Blazers begin to break out of their restrictions in the next couple of seasons, Portland could actually come out on the better end of a deal. 

Aminu showed his weaknesses during the 2019 postseason, enough to wonder whether he was worth the pay increase. He’s just shy of 29, and his 3-point shooting regressed closer to his all-time averages last season (34.3 percent) compared with his career-best percentage in 2017-18 (36.9 percent). Any team hoping to space the floor (which in 2019 is every team) can’t count on consistent shooting from him at forward. He also isn’t the player an offense would rely on to create. With those limitations, Aminu won’t really improve a team that finished 22nd in offensive rating last season. It’s the other end that was probably most appealing to the Magic: Aminu’s defensive reputation is solid. Still, there are a handful of players on the team who can already replicate his skill set while adding other talents to the table. 

Quite honestly, any free agent interested in Orlando might be worth a slight overpay. Still, as ESPN’s Bobby Marks points out, after the front office signed Nikola Vucevic, Terrence Ross, and now Aminu, the Magic have a projected $131.97 million in salary, which is less than a million ($485,000) below the luxury tax. (They can still renounce Khem Birch’s $1.8 million cap hold.) That’s not much space remaining for not much offense.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/6/30/20659724/nba-free-agency-brogdon-rubio-bogdanovic-smaller-deals

51 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

My guy. Only 2 moves I liked this summer are Ross and MCW. 

One discussion on the NBA channel last night that might have merit is how we are developing our team unlike other franchises that blow up their teams to sign free agents.  Their point was we know what we have and the hope is that our young guys (Gordon/Isaac/Bamba/Fultz/Iwundu/Frazier/Okeke?) improve their game every year.  We saw that with isaac last year, even Gordon in his defense.  We won't be trying to figure out chemistry as the season opens.  Clifford can focus on team development versus figuring out what he has.  I see the possibility of a fast start.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Catalina Maria said:

I disagree. This was the perfect opportunity to commit fully to new Orlando Magic DNA. Committing 4 more years to a stat padder who arguably has hampered Gordon from becoming a star is not a good way to start this season. In Fultz I trust. 

Gordon is not a star and that has nothing to do with Nikola Vucevic.  No one on the roster would benefit from a healthy Fultz more than Vucevic.  Get used to him.  

4 hours ago, Magicman28 said:

Why would GS totally go the opposite way of how they play to go with Vooch? It’s not happening.

Nik would do really well on GS. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I think the better question is what is Miami doing. 

Well they're hell bent on signing Butler and don't have the cap to do it.  So I at least understand their motivation, they have to clear cap.  Portland on the other hand, idk; they're losing all their rotation players.  None of them are great players but still.

1 hour ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

What a dumb story. 9 million a year to a 8th man who can play in the playoffs isn't a contract anyone would regret. When the time comes where we want to get off that money we'll have no problem moving him. 

Just now, ML6 said:

Well they're hell bent on signing Butler and don't have the cap to do it.  So I at least understand their motivation, they have to clear cap.  Portland on the other hand, idk; they're losing all their rotation players.  None of them are great players but still.

So this doesn't really help them get Butler. It helps them cut salary to avoid the hard cap after getting Butler because this trade can't be included in the other trade (like we're seeing some of these other teams do)