Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

3 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

"Wiggins signed a five-year, $146.5 million extension with Minnesota in October 2017, but he has regressed over the last two seasons. He averaged 18.1 points and 4.8 rebounds while shooting a career-low 41.2% from the field in 2018-19."

I'm concerned. Had no idea he was this bad last season. 

That's why he's available at cost. Trading for Wiggins is a bet that the 7 games every 3 months where he looks like a star is who he could be vs the totality of his game

I couldn’t agree with you more. I posted a scenario where we’d pay Vooch 20mil a year for 3 years; our option on 3rd year and a few posters didn’t like it. My question was come up with a better plan, but nothing said was absolutely viable. 4 years hurts a little, but if we can deescalate the contract I would feel better. This front office knows far more then us armchair wannabe GMs. I’d like to move Fournier, but it’s not likely. If we can sign Tomas S or someone who can shoot and maybe create a bit I’d be happy with that as long as TRoss is back. We need shooting, creation and depth. Vooch got exposed because no one on our team is a very good creator of his own shot with the partial exception of TRoss on the second unit, but he usually needs to come off a screen. Vooch needs help! If there was a better move available to us I’m sure our fo would’ve pulled the trigger. It’s one thing to have an idea, but it’s another thing to execute it; you have to have willing participants. 

Legit question: if a bunch of these leaked moves come to fruition, how is this stuff not tampering?  Will the NBA do anything or be able to do anything?  We now have Kemba, Kyrie, Garrett Temple, etc. all more or less announced well ahead of the "start" of free agency.

4 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

I couldn’t agree with you more. I posted a scenario where we’d pay Vooch 20mil a year for 3 years; our option on 3rd year and a few posters didn’t like it. My question was come up with a better plan, but nothing said was absolutely viable. 4 years hurts a little, but if we can deescalate the contract I would feel better. This front office knows far more then us armchair wannabe GMs. I’d like to move Fournier, but it’s not likely. If we can sign Tomas S or someone who can shoot and maybe create a bit I’d be happy with that as long as TRoss is back. We need shooting, creation and depth. Vooch got exposed because no one on our team is a very good creator of his own shot with the partial exception of TRoss on the second unit, but he usually needs to come off a screen. Vooch needs help! If there was a better move available to us I’m sure our fo would’ve pulled the trigger. It’s one thing to have an idea, but it’s another thing to execute it; you have to have willing participants. 

The viable option that has been brought up countless times was to let Vuch walk and sign a stop gap vet for two years until Bamba was ready or another option was presented. 

This was completely viable and made sense in the short or long term.

8 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

If he was a legit All-Star he would create for himself and carry the team. Not disappear and play like a guy whose never seen a basketball court in his life. I don’t buy the excuse he didn’t have help, I feel if we had better guard play and didn’t have to rely on a slow plodding effortless center we would have fared better than we did in the playoffs. People say they don’t know where the offense would come from but we hardly ran plays for anyone not named Vuc or Fournier. Of course nobody else is gonna standout on that side of the ball if they don’t get plays ran for them. Stop tying up money on big men and let’s start getting some quality guards on this team. Can’t sign anyone if you’re tying the money up on an empty stats “All-Star.” 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

Yes you are in the minority for many reasons.  First what about a player playing their best in a contract year.  I have not heard that mentioned much but is very possible in Vic's case.  Magic had a very good season due to multiple player's.  Vuc was just one of those only.  I would argue Ross was just as vital and would rather have resigned him since I Do not think we have the money to resign both.  Other reason for our season was lack of injury minutes.  Before the season started Jeff Turner predicted 40 wins just on injury minute improvement alone.  Our season involved a little luck.  For all your stated optimism, you are pretty pessimistic about our offense without Vuc.  I recollect a game Isaac scored 16 points in the first quarter alone vs Boston.  There is one source.  Two seasons ago Gordon had multiple 30+ point games and I think none last year.  There is another source.  4 year $100 million was just not necessary when we had a center who was a much better defender in just his rookie year.  If we were not resigning both Ross and his points will be the hardest to offset.  I just see this as the wrong choice.

Oh.My.Goodness., OTH! You and I were thinking the same thing. I had thought about posting what you mentioned in your first 4 sentences.

Vucevic did not get us to the playoffs by himself. There were other teammates whose production helped to make it happen. I was extremely surprised by our bench that helped keep games close in the last few games of the regular season. So, no, Vuch did not do it by himself.

9 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

Yes you are in the minority for many reasons.  First what about a player playing their best in a contract year.  I have not heard that mentioned much but is very possible in Vic's case.  Magic had a very good season due to multiple player's.  Vuc was just one of those only.  I would argue Ross was just as vital and would rather have resigned him since I Do not think we have the money to resign both.  Other reason for our season was lack of injury minutes.  Before the season started Jeff Turner predicted 40 wins just on injury minute improvement alone.  Our season involved a little luck.  For all your stated optimism, you are pretty pessimistic about our offense without Vuc.  I recollect a game Isaac scored 16 points in the first quarter alone vs Boston.  There is one source.  Two seasons ago Gordon had multiple 30+ point games and I think none last year.  There is another source.  4 year $100 million was just not necessary when we had a center who was a much better defender in just his rookie year.  If we were not resigning both Ross and his points will be the hardest to offset.  I just see this as the wrong choice.

Sure, you can put Voochs improvement down to a contract year but the main reason was Clifford playing Vooch to his strengths. He spent the past few years playing primarily mid range with horrid efficiency. This changed due to the improvement in his 3 point shot and Clifford making a concerted effort to use him in the post. There's no reason to believe that won't improve again especially if there's further improvement from the 3 point line.

As for your statement about Bamba being better defensively last season than Vooch, that's just flat out wrong. Bamba was awful, statistically one of the worst players in the entire league. I would much prefer we took a chance on Bamba rather than going with Vooch but Bamba was projected last year as one of the rawest players in the draft and it could take his full rookie contract to be anywhere near what he's projected to maybe become, he needs to show he can outperform our third string centre first . . .

I've openly said I would rather take a step back next year to have the chance of being better longer term but I'm not going to make knee jerk reactions until the roster has stabilised after the free agency period settles.

• Upvote 1

You can't script this ****.  After years of the Nets getting trolled by EVERYONE for Ainge swindling them, they just got the type of star-studded rebuild Ainge dreamed of and couldn't get.  *****ing lmao this is too good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ML6 said:

You can't script this ****.  After years of the Nets getting trolled by EVERYONE for Ainge swingling them, they just got the type of star-studded rebuild Ainge dreamed of and couldn't get.  *****ing lmao this is too good.

It's not a done deal yet. We'll see in a couple of hours.

7 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Oh.My.Goodness., OTH! You and I were thinking the same thing. I had thought about posting what you mentioned in your first 4 sentences.

Vucevic did not get us to the playoffs by himself. There were other teammates whose production helped to make it happen. I was extremely surprised by our bench that helped keep games close in the last few games of the regular season. So, no, Vuch did not do it by himself.

Great minds think alike.  lol.  It does help when your thoughts are affirmed.  I do not see any fans jumping ship, at least not many.  If Fultz fully recovers all this conversation is mute. We will have our All Star.  Not sure how we can do it but resigning Ross will ease the pain.