Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

Getting Ross back would take some of the sour taste out of my mouth.  Loved watching that guy this season. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nyce_1 said:

If we didn't have Fultz on the roster, would we be going hard at DLo? In hindsight, if you knew he'd be available as an UFA, do you still trade for Fultz or preserve that cap space to go for DLo? 

Idk. Part of me says you gotta go for the guy you know you can get, rather than gamble on the guy you dont know.

I'm partially coming around to Vuc. Partially. Some of the positive explanations here have helped me, along with that idea of "take the guy you know you can get"

I was looking forward to all that cap space. But as has been mentioned, who were we gonna use it on? These franchise changing players dont come to a market like Orlando. They want New York, LA, Boston, San Francisco. Look at Khawi who just won a championship with a team that's likely to contend again, but STILL wants out of Toronto to go to the big market.

We would have to rely on trades and drafts, and since this team is now a playoff caliber team, even the draft is out of the equation. So we are gonna have to work trades. 

I don't think the proposed Wiggins trade goes through, because I dont see why Minny would want to agree to that trade with us, but IF we managed to pull it off? I'm in on a move to bring Wiggins in here. That could very well be the FO's angle. Keep the guy we do know in Vuc (I also agree with the earlier mentioned "reward the players who got you there", because it helps in the future as well), and start working angles for an unforeseen trade like Wiggins as our means of bringing in additional talent. We already did that with the Fultz trade.

IF Fultz plays for us (and that may be a big IF at this point)  and we pull off a trade for Wiggins, that could be a really interesting team. It could go either way - it could develop into something huge for us, or it could completely crap out. But it's a shot, and I like it.

The worry is either:

A. We signed Vuc simply because he made the All-Star team and made the playoffs so the FO sees him as a centerpiece and the existing makeup is A-OK and we are just maintaining the status quo

OR

B. The FO knows something we don't about Bamba and bringing Vuc back was a necessity because Bamba isn't gonna be the guy.

But if we are bringing Vuc back to hold down the fort because Bamba simply isn't ready yet but will be down the line, and we have alternate moves in the pipeline to move pieces around and bring in talent, ala a proposed Wiggins trade, then I am more on board with it. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Getting Ross back would take some of the sour taste out of my mouth.  Loved watching that guy this season. 

He might be my favorite player on the current roster.

Just now, Franchise408 said:

He might be my favorite player on the current roster.

It was just such a luxury to finally have a guy who you could see checking in at the scorer's table and say "alright, here's where we make our comeback" or "here's where we push our lead to 12".  His instant offense was something we haven't had since when?  Pietrus?  And those teams didn't really need a boost very often.  Ross was often tasked with being the sole scorer and he routinely delivered.

3 minutes ago, ML6 said:

It was just such a luxury to finally have a guy who you could see checking in at the scorer's table and say "alright, here's where we make our comeback" or "here's where we push our lead to 12".  His instant offense was something we haven't had since when?  Pietrus?  And those teams didn't really need a boost very often.  Ross was often tasked with being the sole scorer and he routinely delivered.

It's weird looking at pietrus' stats and seeing how unremarkable they were. In my mind he was such an amazing bench player. 

Just now, ?4thewin said:

It's weird looking at pietrus' stats and seeing how unremarkable they were. In my mind he was such an amazing bench player. 

I remember being him significantly better during the 09 playoff run then he was during the regular season. Playoff run, he couldn’t miss

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah, everything over the past 6-7 years has skewed all prior stats I feel.  I remember reading that if you put the '09 Magic in today's NBA, they'd be one of the lowest-volume 3PT shooting teams.  And yet when I think back on them I just remember everyone chucking lol

EDIT: Yep, we shot 26.2 3s per game in '08-'09, good for 2nd in the league.  Last season that'd be 27th.