Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

On the other end, I see T-Ross as a guy we try hard to sign and Fournier as a guy we let walk (albeit his friendship with Vuc may be a factor in that decision). 

T-Ross should be our starter, not Fournier. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

As I stated earlier, Mo is 20 years old.  I would imagine he will need to continue to develop and improve himself over the next two years and then we will have a decision to make on whether to trade Mo or Vuc (I’m assuming it will be Vuc on an expiring after his 3rd year where Mo takes over as starter, should his development continue. 

Unfortunately Mo is liability on offense and still has huge steps to make to be a reliable center in the future. I hope he will stay healthy this upcoming season and can show us some improvements, to be even considered replacing Vooch.

5 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

On the other end, I see T-Ross as a guy we try hard to sign and Fournier as a guy we let walk (albeit his friendship with Vuc may be a factor in that decision). 

T-Ross should be our starter, not Fournier. 

We need Ross' scoring punch from the bench.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, andrew2018022 said:

Can he at least show us he's capable of playing more than 16 minutes first? He couldn't handle that load last year. Hopefully that changes, but he's going to get the playing time he earns. He isn't going to be gifted PT just for being a #6 pick. If Mo really feels that he deserves more, he'll show it in Summer League. He'll show it in practice. He'll show it in the games. 

Here is the bigger issue.  Mo had his ups and downs as all rookies do.  But he showed flashes of brilliance with shooting, driving to the hoop, blocked shots that merits more playing time.   But do you think that even if he plays even, or God forbid, outplays Vuc (won't take much--see the Toronto series) that he will be given the starting position?  All this a year removed when everyone said he was drafted to replace Vuc.  That was the perception and perception is reality.  Now this!  All may be fine in MagicLand but this could easily become a PR nightmare.  How would you feel if you were Mo and his folks.  It has taken far less for agents and players to start demanding to be moved disrupting a lockerroom.  Gifted PT is far differenct from being given a chance.  Hope the Magic have this under control.  We are far too good at giving up on players who go on to star elsewhere.  And this from an FO that has drafted and stressed athleticism and length and defensive versatility foremost.  Just totally out of character from what they have said and if all players do not support it this can destroy a team.

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We're going to trade mo. 

If we are, it’s not because we signed Vuc.  It would be because we do not see his potential anymore. It would be short-sited of management to trade a 20 year old project with high upside because you signed a 28 year old at his peak to a 4 year deal. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

Here is the bigger issue.  Mo had his ups and downs as all rookies do.  But he showed flashes of brilliance with shooting, driving to the hoop, blocked shots that merits more playing time.   But do you think that even if he plays even, or God forbid, outplays Vuc (won't take much--see the Toronto series) that he will be given the starting position?  All this a year removed when everyone said he was drafted to replace Vuc.  That was the perception and perception is reality.  Now this!  All may be fine in MagicLand but this could easily become a PR nightmare.  How would you feel if you were Mo and his folks.  It has taken far less for agents and players to start demanding to be moved disrupting a lockerroom.  Gifted PT is far differenct from being given a chance.  Hope the Magic have this under control.  We are far too good at giving up on players who go on to star elsewhere.  And this from an FO that has drafted and stressed athleticism and length and defensive versatility foremost.  Just totally out of character from what they have said and if all players do not support it this can destroy a team.

Were we watching the same Mo? He had some ups, sure, but he was statistically one of the worst players in the entire league last year. We instantly became a better team when we replaced him with Birch in the rotation after he got hurt. He blocked shots, but most of these blocked shots were just due to his sheer length and he was able to get easy blocks. He had pretty bad defensive instincts. He camped out at the 3 point line way too much. He didn't exactly show the best hustle out there either...

Now I'm not saying that he can't become a great player (I think he will be great in a few years) but he is muuuuch further from being starting caliber than we all realize. He physically really isn't ready to handle anything more than 20 minutes a game. He can stay in a low pressure role for the time being, all while continuing to work hard and prove that he deserves more time. Putting him in a competitive environment for minutes will be better for his development.

I also imagine (or, at least hope) that WeltHam talked with Mo about what's going on moving forward, and that Mo understands/is eager to move forward. If they made this move without communicating with Mo's camp, then I'd be a little concerned. But I really don't think that this signing means the end for Mo here in Orlando.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, UEBERMORTAL said:

This would make no sense.

We invested in vucevic on a contract that exceeds Bamba's. It doesn't make sense to develop a backup who can only play 1 position. It's poor value. 

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

We invested in vucevic on a contract that exceeds Bamba's. It doesn't make sense to develop a backup who can only play 1 position. It's poor value. 

Not necessarily. We haven't seen the contract yet, if it has a team option after the 3rd year then it wouldn't exceed Mo's rookie deal. Maybe the extra 10 mil means that we threw in a team option or something