Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

I can't imagine we let Ross leave now since we don't have cap space to spend on anyone else anyway.  Might as well use it on a known, productive commodity.  But if we don't... my god, that'd be a worst case summer.

3 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Here are some thoughts on a positive note (playing devil’s advocate):

1. We’ve given Vuc 5/7 of a max or “star” deal. Is his consistent offense and good team defense worth that? 

2. Is it possible that we wanted to reward a guy who has stayed committed to us, has had a team mentality, and has been a good presence in the locker room and in the community?

3. This sends a message to the players on the team that management will reward players for excellent play. Low-balling or not offering something to a well-liked locker room guy wouldn’t look good to Isaac, Gordon, etc. Gordon got 4/$80, so I imagine this seems about right in comparison for what Vuc brings, at least on paper. 

4. Let us remember that Bamba is 20 and we have no idea how management / Cliff have been evaluating him. We know he’s raw. It’s very likely we won’t be ready to carry the full weight of a starter until he’s 23 or so. If it’s earlier, that’s a good problem to have. 

5. No big name free agent is coming to our team, even if we have money. Those guys all will continue to go to big market teams. We rarely get our pick of the elite, but rather the leftovers of “these guys have all signed and these guys were left over whom we guess deserve this money.” 

These are some of my positive, long-term views of the situation. 

1. No

2. You don’t give that kind of contract to a player like Vuc for that kind of money.

3. Coaches send messages. Front office uses money wisely. This isn’t wise.

4. We could’ve signed or traded for cheaper C. 

5. Welp, they aren’t now that’s for sure. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

1. We’ve given Vuc 5/7 of a max or “star” deal. Is his consistent offense and good team defense worth that? 

2. Is it possible that we wanted to reward a guy who has stayed committed to us, has had a team mentality, and has been a good presence in the locker room and in the community?

3. This sends a message to the players on the team that management will reward players for excellent play. Low-balling or not offering something to a well-liked locker room guy wouldn’t look good to Isaac, Gordon, etc. Gordon got 4/$80, so I imagine this seems about right in comparison for what Vuc brings, at least on paper. 

4. Let us remember that Bamba is 20 and we have no idea how management / Cliff have been evaluating him. We know he’s raw. It’s very likely we won’t be ready to carry the full weight of a starter until he’s 23 or so. If it’s earlier, that’s a good problem to have. 

5. No big name free agent is coming to our team, even if we have money. Those guys all will continue to go to big market teams. We rarely get our pick of the elite, but rather the leftovers of “these guys have all signed and these guys were left over whom we guess deserve this money.” 

Thanks for trying but I’m not in the mood to be positive right now. Maybe later after I have had another pot of coffee. ;-)

1. We’ve given Vuc 5/7 of a max or “star” deal. Is his consistent offense and good team defense worth that?    Nooooo

2. Is it possible that we wanted to reward a guy who has stayed committed to us, has had a team mentality, and has been a good presence in the locker room and in the community?     He's only happy if the offense runs through him, will refuse to play a backup role. 

3. This sends a message to the players on the team that management will reward players for excellent play. Low-balling or not offering something to a well-liked locker room guy wouldn’t look good to Isaac, Gordon, etc. Gordon got 4/$80, so I imagine this seems about right in comparison for what Vuc brings, at least on paper.   Reward for what, not showing up in the playoffs, playing semi good defense for the first time in 7 years?

4. Let us remember that Bamba is 20 and we have no idea how management / Cliff have been evaluating him. We know he’s raw. It’s very likely we won’t be ready to carry the full weight of a starter until he’s 23 or so. If it’s earlier, that’s a good problem to have.   This I agree, but the fastest way to get better in this league is playing time.

5. No big name free agent is coming to our team, even if we have money. Those guys all will continue to go to big market teams. We rarely get our pick of the elite, but rather the leftovers of “these guys have all signed and these guys were left over whom we guess deserve this money.”    We have had big free agent signings before so who's to say.

Okay, let’s ask this:

1. what number WOULD you be happy with for our contract with Vuc? I knew he wasn’t getting paid less than Gordon (4/80), so 4/90 had seemed the logical range for me. 

2. At 4/90 or 4/100, what other players would you alternatively have that would command this type of $$? 

Just now, TreyMachine said:

Okay, let’s ask this:

1. what number WOULD you be happy with for our contract with Vuc? I knew he wasn’t getting paid less than Gordon (4/80), so 4/90 had seemed the logical range for me. 

2. At 4/90 or 4/100, what other players would you alternatively have that would command this type of $$? 

I would of like to seen 0/0 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Okay, let’s ask this:

1.I’d been happy if he was no longer on the team.

2. Rather have signed a cheap veteran C and save the cap space.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Oh My Head! said:

It doesn’t help right now but I am hoping that after we learn more about the details it becomes an easier pill to swallow. 

I mean if it’s 20 a year with a 5 million kicker for all star appearance and playoff appearance that isn’t terrible. 

• Upvote 1