Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

What tf happened?

I got a notification of a tweet and all of a sudden the Magic have completely derailed and lost the plan.

I don't hate Vuc. I think hes a solid player and I like him. But wut??

The entire purpose here was to let he, and all of the big money contracts come off the books so we could put some max contracts around BIG and Fultz.

But nah. Let's lock up a mid level center for big $$$ long term and completely destroy our cap going forward.

Thanks BIG. I love all 3 of yall but your careers here just got wasted.

Guess that means Fournier will be long term too.

I live in the Bay Area I should just become a Warriors fan.

No, I cant and I wont, but holy hell is this discouraging. For the first time I saw a way out of the long term mediocrity and they just said naaaaaah.

Fml

Waking up to the stupid **** Welt/ham are doing is a piss poor way to start the day! I had hoped that when the Magic brought these guys on board that they knew what they were doing. Signing a guy whose one good season comes in a contract year and is someone who can't raise the level of his game in the playoffs isn't my idea of building a team for the future. 

3 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

It’s crazy. Absolutely crazy. He seriously played us. I think the worse thing that could have happened to this franchise was him making an all star team. The casuals just ran with that and the front office totally pandered to all of it. 

That and us making the playoffs. It just ruined things. Patience my ass. The guy with the torn ACL makes so much sense now. 

I wish Hammond and welt were on twitter. 

aren't they posting under welikethismediocretreadmill8seedteam?

*****ing Weltman

Statement 1: "Nik will be our priority in FA" -- Apparently true

Statement 2: "We don't want to pay a dollar more than we have to" -- Patently false; outbids self without any competition

This is sooo dumb. I guarantee you that seeing Toronto win the chip with Marc Gasol told these 2 bafoons that keeping VUC wouldn't hinder fast paced play moving forward. 

I've said it for years now, VUC is soft and he will never help us win a championship. I was angry the first time we signed him to a long deal and so many people on here told me to calm down and that it was a great moveable contract and he will help the young guys develop blah blah blah.

Glad to see a lot of you have come to your senses...

Our revamped and expensive FO got played by contract year Vuc. This is an emotional decision because of the fan support they saw during the playoff hunt, and playoff games. Nearly everything had to go right for us to make the playoffs. 

I'm not happy about this offer. However, if Ross and Birch aren't back either....man, idk. Big fail.

And Mo....gotta trade him. 

11 years of Vuc. Guy is like a cockroach.

Here are some thoughts on a positive note (playing devil’s advocate):

1. We’ve given Vuc 5/7 of a max or “star” deal. Is his consistent offense and good team defense worth that? 

2. Is it possible that we wanted to reward a guy who has stayed committed to us, has had a team mentality, and has been a good presence in the locker room and in the community?

3. This sends a message to the players on the team that management will reward players for excellent play. Low-balling or not offering something to a well-liked locker room guy wouldn’t look good to Isaac, Gordon, etc. Gordon got 4/$80, so I imagine this seems about right in comparison for what Vuc brings, at least on paper. 

4. Let us remember that Bamba is 20 and we have no idea how management / Cliff have been evaluating him. We know he’s raw. It’s very likely we won’t be ready to carry the full weight of a starter until he’s 23 or so. If it’s earlier, that’s a good problem to have. 

5. No big name free agent is coming to our team, even if we have money. Those guys all will continue to go to big market teams. We rarely get our pick of the elite, but rather the leftovers of “these guys have all signed and these guys were left over whom we guess deserve this money.” 

These are some of my positive, long-term views of the situation. 

• Upvote 4