Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

I know we follow this team a lot more than anyone else but it's crazy to see the reactions to this by people on Reddit. People saying it's a great deal for us, people saying he'd be stupid to sign such a low offer etc. For the record I'm against this mostly because of the years but I believe that WeltHam will have a plan of some kind when it comes to cap space down the line. 

EDIT: Also I hate the idea that were making this move for non basketball reasons i.e. to please casual fans etc. 

They are not making moves to please fans. To me that's nonsense. Not being rude at all. If that's the case we are in much much much worse shape than I even thought. 

Vooch is a good player. He's a walking 20 & 10 on a off night. 

I'm not defending him but let's juts see what happens here. Management will definitely have a plan and they do not budge. WeltHam have been in this game far too long to not know whats what.

Can't find the exact quote right now at work, but I keep thinking of Weltman's quote at the start of the summer.  It was something along the lines of 'we don't want to pay a dollar more than we have to in free agency, and if that extra dollar matters to the player, that's probably not the kind of player we want anyway'.

That's a fairly hard stance to put out there.  If Stein's tweet is true, maybe it means that the 4/$90 is Weltman's line in the sand?  As in "here's what we're willing to offer you.  If you get more money elsewhere, it's up to you to decide whether to take the extra cash or the stability".

Just trying to come up with some sort of explanation for a bad deal.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

the box scores of the Toronto series don't lie...

My thoughts exactly.... How are your 2 “best offensive” players going to completely disappear in a 7 game series? I understand it’s your first time in the playoffs but that’s why you’re in the NBA because you can play. Any other player would have watched film and made changes to try and contribute  in different ways for the next game. These two idiots did the same thing over and over again for 4 straight games and that’s why we got embarrassed by the champs. No idea what management is thinking if we have to put up with Fournier and Vuc willingly and being Mediocre for the next 4 years. 

13 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Frustrating...

I might have been expecting too much but I thought Vuc had a chance to cause Toronto serious defensive issues. When Gasol was guarding him, we should've pick and popped them to death.. when Ibaka was in we should have had a big advantage on the boards and in the post.

Gasol and Ibaka have both been very good defenders but we kinda need Vuc to be effective like that if we're gonna pay him like a number 1 option and effectively change our pace of play for him

38 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

You mean averaging 11 and 6 on 36 FG% and 23 3PT% with a NETRTG of -23 isn’t amazing?

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I know we follow this team a lot more than anyone else but it's crazy to see the reactions to this by people on Reddit. People saying it's a great deal for us, people saying he'd be stupid to sign such a low offer etc. For the record I'm against this mostly because of the years but I believe that WeltHam will have a plan of some kind when it comes to cap space down the line. 

EDIT: Also I hate the idea that were making this move for non basketball reasons i.e. to please casual fans etc. 

It’s always tough to judge other teams from afar. That’s why I don’t have passionate takes on who’s a really good player or who’s bad.

You have to watch the team a lot to really know what’s happening 

We know that Weltman and Hammond don't leak things, and that this front office has blind-sided us consistently with things like Bamba's pick, Gordon's money, even the recent qualifying offer to Amile Jefferson. It is just not consistent with the way they have done business the last several years; so there must be something else in play.

I have two completely different takes on this "leak". One is that the leak came from Vuc's camp, in an effort to drive up his value, which someone already pointed out as a possibility.

The second is a much deeper chess-like move. What if this "leak" isn't for Vuc, but is a message to TRoss? Ross said weeks ago that he was interested in what this team was going to do with Vuc; whether they would try to retain the loyal, (regular season) most consistent player. This big number "slipping" out there indicates that they are actively pursuing Vuc. They can even say "we don't know where that came from, look at our history, we don't leak"; but the fact it is out there sends that message to Ross. They can then negotiate and re-sign Ross, while still "negotiating" with Vuc.

Personally, I don't think this came from our front-office, as it just doesn't fit what we have seen in the past from them. But, whether they "leaked" this number or not, I think they can use the leak to their advantage. Also, the leak itself doesn't obligate them to actually pay Vuc that, especially if they are consistently saying "we don't know where that came from, we don't leak". 

11 hours ago, The Boss said:

Firstly, I don't think we'll be able to trade him when we're ready.

Secondly, training wheels are used to learn to ride a bike. They don't alter the action of riding the bike much, they just make it a little easier to learn. Vuc with this roster, and the style of play we will play when he's gone is like putting training wheels on running shoes or something, completely counter productive.

That's a fair assessment 

42 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

We know that Weltman and Hammond don't leak things, and that this front office has blind-sided us consistently with things like Bamba's pick, Gordon's money, even the recent qualifying offer to Amile Jefferson. It is just not consistent with the way they have done business the last several years; so there must be something else in play.

I have two completely different takes on this "leak". One is that the leak came from Vuc's camp, in an effort to drive up his value, which someone already pointed out as a possibility.

The second is a much deeper chess-like move. What if this "leak" isn't for Vuc, but is a message to TRoss? Ross said weeks ago that he was interested in what this team was going to do with Vuc; whether they would try to retain the loyal, (regular season) most consistent player. This big number "slipping" out there indicates that they are actively pursuing Vuc. They can even say "we don't know where that came from, look at our history, we don't leak"; but the fact it is out there sends that message to Ross. They can then negotiate and re-sign Ross, while still "negotiating" with Vuc.

Personally, I don't think this came from our front-office, as it just doesn't fit what we have seen in the past from them. But, whether they "leaked" this number or not, I think they can use the leak to their advantage. Also, the leak itself doesn't obligate them to actually pay Vuc that, especially if they are consistently saying "we don't know where that came from, we don't leak". 

I agree and it's making tomorrow evening that much more excited. 

Double sign and trade Harrison Barnes for Vucevic