Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

According to Adrian Wojnaorwski of ESPN (per Tommy Berr of Forbes), Brogdon will likely command $17 to 20 million in free agency. The 26-year-old guard is a restricted free agent this summer and could sign any offer sheet he desires. Once he signs an offer sheet, the Bucks have the option to match the salary in order to keep him.

Unfortunately for Milwaukee, Brogdon is expected to attract significant interest, especially from teams looking to add a starting-caliber point guard. In fact, the Dallas Mavericks have shown interest and will most likely seek a meeting with the Atlanta native.

Moreover, the Chicago Bulls were reportedly keen in offering Brogdon a four-year, $80 million deal. If the Bulls indeed offer it and Brogdon signs, the Bucks may be forced to really pay him $20 million annually just to keep him.

The Bucks will have to handle this situation carefully, especially since they are also going to negotiate the new contract of All-Star forward Khris Middleton. If the Mavs, or any other team is willing to overpay Brogdon, then it is possible for Milwaukee to lose him this summer.

There is no doubt that Brogdon’s loyalty remains with the Bucks. Still, as history has told us each and every season, loyalty in the NBA can be bought…if the price is right.

https://clutchpoints.com/bucks-news-malcolm-brogdon-expected-to-command-offer-sheet-between-17-to-20-million-per-year/

I like Brogdon...but not at $20M/year

Our main plan should be to resign Ross but if we fail, then we should go after Rodney Hood. Hood is not a good defender but can shoot and score. He will be available and I dont see a reason for us to pass on him. 

5 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

Our main plan should be to resign Ross but if we fail, then we should go after Rodney Hood. Hood is not a good defender but can shoot and score. He will be available and I dont see a reason for us to pass on him. 

If we fail on Ross I'd quite like Jeremy Lamb as a replacement. Capable shooter and scorer and knows what it takes to play in a Cliff team. Plus I don't think he'll command a huge contract.

• Upvote 2

I think so much of our free agent approach will reveal our confidence (or lack thereof) in Fultz. That said, I’m higher than most on Brogdon. He’s not a star but he’s an analyst’s dream and a clear leader.

6 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

That's the problem with spending money this summer. We're better off waiting

Honest question: Waiting for whom? While I don’t mind being patient, the list of free agents in 2020 is uninspiring. Furthermore, when is the last time we attracted/signed an all-star free agent? That’s why adding a piece like Brogdon for 17-20 million/year as he enters his prime makes some sense to me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

If we fail on Ross I'd quite like Jeremy Lamb as a replacement. Capable shooter and scorer and knows what it takes to play in a Cliff team. Plus I don't think he'll command a huge contract.

Yeah, Lamb is my first option to replace Ross, if we can't re-sign him. I think Lamb really started putting it all together last year, too. He should come at a much cheaper price than Ross, too. He probably will go for a little more than the MLE (non-Taxpayer), which is a little over $9 million.

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Honest question: Waiting for whom? While I don’t mind being patient, the list of free agents in 2020 is uninspiring. Furthermore, when is the last time we attracted/signed an all-star free agent? That’s why adding a piece like Brogdon for 17-20 million/year as he enters his prime makes some sense to me. 

LeVert. 

But cap room isn't just used for free agents. It's also important to not waste money in case a trade opportunity comes up and we need to avoid going deep into the luxury tax. 

We're only two years away from Fultz and Isaac's extensions. 

Spending big money on a 5th man isn't great

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

LeVert. 

But cap room isn't just used for free agents. It's also important to not waste money in case a trade opportunity comes up and we need to avoid going deep into the luxury tax. 

We're only two years away from Fultz and Isaac's extensions. 

Spending big money on a 5th man isn't great

I hear you. I’m fine either way, as I still believe we’re a year or two away from really competing.