Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

I realize Vooch is not in our long term plans, and am not as confident as 4?thewin’s belief that we have the scoring to make up for that in our current lineup unless Fultz shines. I’m looking at our options out there and no one that is dead set against bringing Vooch back has shown a option to be explored to make up what we will be losing in the short term. I know he’s slow, can’t defend the perimeter and has only a few, but effective post move, but he is pretty good at the pops and acceptable 3 pt shot plus Fultz is a pick and roll player. Vooch is majorly flawed but show me a better option. 

I think the Vucevic debate settled itself during the playoffs. We all went in thinking if he shows up, he gets paid, if he doesn’t, he’s gone. The fact that Toronto went on to win it all shouldn’t change that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I think the Vucevic debate settled itself during the playoffs. We all went in thinking if he shows up, he gets paid, if he doesn’t, he’s gone. The fact that Toronto went on to win it all shouldn’t change that.

That is exactly how people within this organization should see this.

Yet, you want Dallas and/or Sacramento to see it differently. 

On 6/18/2019 at 11:39 AM, Magicpassion said:

I realize Vooch is not in our long term plans, and am not as confident as 4?thewin’s belief that we have the scoring to make up for that in our current lineup unless Fultz shines. I’m looking at our options out there and no one that is dead set against bringing Vooch back has shown a option to be explored to make up what we will be losing in the short term. I know he’s slow, can’t defend the perimeter and has only a few, but effective post move, but he is pretty good at the pops and acceptable 3 pt shot plus Fultz is a pick and roll player. Vooch is majorly flawed but show me a better option. 

I go back and forth with this, mainly because of salary cap issues; waiving Vuc doesn't get us his $19M cap hold as space, it just brings us down around the actual cap. Assuming we guarantee Iwundu, re-sign Ross ($15M) and Birch ($2M), waive Vuc, Grant, Martin, etc. and waive/stretch Mozgov; that will leave us somewhere around $14M to fill out the rest of the roster. We could use all of that to make an offer to Dedmon (or comparable), and then fill spots 13, 14 and/or 15 with minimum contracts. Since Birch is a RFA, we have the option to match any offer, but that would cut into our CAP space to sign free agents. I tried to use reasonable numbers to get us a fair idea of where we can get to. 

2019-20 Season Salary Cap Management  
Player  Cap Figure
Aaron Gordon (24) $19,863,636
Evan Fournier (26) $17,000,000
Terrence Ross (28) $15,000,000
Markelle Fultz (21) $9,745,200
D.J. Augustin (31) $7,250,000
Jonathan Isaac (21) $5,806,440
Mohamed Bamba (21) $5,697,600
16th Pick @ 120% $3,117,000
Khem Birch (27) $2,000,000
Wesley Iwundu (24) $1,618,520
Melvin Frazier (23) $1,416,852
Sub-Total $88,515,248
2019-20 Dead Cap  
C.J. Watson $333,333
Timofey Mozgov $5,573,333
Sub-Total $5,906,666
2019-20 Cap Holds  
Incomplete Roster $897,158

Sub-Total $897,158
Cap Type  
Active Roster Cap $88,515,248
Dead Money $5,906,666
Cap Holds $897,158
Total Salaries $95,319,072
2019 NBA Cap Max $109,000,000
Actual Cap Max Space $13,680,928

Under contract would be: 1) Augustin/Fultz 2) Fournier/Ross 3) Isaac/Iwundu/Frazier 4) Gordon 5) Bamba/Birch and 16th pick.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Magicpassion said:

I’m looking at our options out there and no one that is dead set against bringing Vooch back has shown a option to be explored to make up what we will be losing in the short term

I just spent 500 words doing this last page

34 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Not sure what Barnes and Horford are thinking. They aren't going to be paid anywhere near the amounts they could have been paid this season if they had opted in.

Not bad..... I didn’t realize Dedmon shot 37% from 3., but doesn’t have a post game to speak of; better defensively. He’s Burch with a 3 pt shot. I see him averaging around 12/14 pts. He is a little older then Vooch and probably this will be his last good contract. If he will take 15 then I see your point, but I’ll bet he wants more and 4 years as well. 

3 minutes ago, MagicMoses said:

Not sure what Barnes and Horford are thinking. They aren't going to be paid anywhere near the amounts they could have been paid this season if they had opted in.

Horford makes sense. He's old so guaranteed money is more important than single year money. So he can trade in his 1/30 contract for a 3/48 contact and end up ahead. 

Barnes doesn't make sense. Age isn't really a factor as 27 year old guys get the same money as guys who are 28. He's not getting big money this time. He'll get something like 4/64 this summer. If he waited until next summer he'd probably still get 4/64. If he got hurt he'd probably get 2/18. Wouldn't you risk a worst case scenario of 43 million over 3 years for a maximum 89 over 5 years instead of settling for 64 over 4?

7 minutes ago, MagicMoses said:

I think Barnes was smart to do it. He might be able to get a deal close to a 4 year 80 million deal. Risking a multiyear deal for an extra 5 million this year is dangerous and not smart. 

Horford on the other way... not smart. Maybe he doesnt need the money or they promise him a 3-4 year deal instead at  about 15 per year. Not sure. I will have taken the 30mills this year.

11 minutes ago, MagicMoses said:

I get why Horford opted out, he’s old with a bunch of miles on the tires and he wants long term security... Barnes opting out is baffling though 

5 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

I think Barnes was smart to do it. He might be able to get a deal close to a 4 year 80 million deal. Risking a multiyear deal for an extra 5 million this year is dangerous and not smart. 

Horford on the other way... not smart. Maybe he doesnt need the money or they promise him a 3-4 year deal instead at  about 15 per year. Not sure. I will have taken the 30mills this year.

I don't really see anyone giving Barnes 20 million per year. He got the big money when he was 24, had his entire future ahead of him and just needed the right situation to break out. 

Now that he's 27 we know what he is.