Bauncey Chillups

2019 Offseason Thread

I can see the argument either way to be honest. We know who he is. But at the same time we’ve relied on him too much and Bamba isn’t ready so I can see why we’d at least try to sign him to a tradable contract a la Gordon. 

I just hope Kyrie goes to Brooklyn so we may have a tiny chance at DLO

5 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

I can see the argument either way to be honest. We know who he is. But at the same time we’ve relied on him too much and Bamba isn’t ready so I can see why we’d at least try to sign him to a tradable contract a la Gordon. 

I just hope Kyrie goes to Brooklyn so we may have a tiny chance at DLO

He's already signed to what has been believed to be a tradable contract and yet here we are. Re-sign him because Bamba isn't ready and we have relied on him for forever? Why not sign a dependable vet at half the price until Bamba is ready?

1 hour ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

He's already signed to what has been believed to be a tradable contract and yet here we are. Re-sign him because Bamba isn't ready and we have relied on him for forever? Why not sign a dependable vet at half the price until Bamba is ready?

Because we can’t just trade the guy who’s the majority of the offense without signing someone else who can fill the gap. WeHam don’t look like they’re willing to take steps back this season. So unless DLO comes here I think we end up signing vuc to a good contract. 

3 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

Because we can’t just trade the guy who’s the majority of the offense without signing someone else who can fill the gap. WeHam don’t look like they’re willing to take steps back this season. So unless DLO comes here I think we end up signing vuc to a good contract. 

I think the reason he hasn't been traded these last few years is because he lacks value not because our management thinks we can't replace his inefficient offense. 

1 minute ago, MagicOne said:

Mr. Ball is very upset that the Lakers traded his son. He says the Lakers will regret making this deal.

He’s probably right, but not for the reason he thinks.

7 hours ago, Gordon MVP said:

It's not going to be that difficult to replace vucevic's offense. It can be filled by guys already on the roster. Especially if Fultz plays and is basically the Fultz that played in Philly

(As long as we don't lose Ross too)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

It's not going to be that difficult to replace vucevic's offense. It can be filled by guys already on the roster. Especially if Fultz plays and is basically the Fultz that played in Philly

(As long as we don't lose Ross too)

I think if they strike out on a third Star you could see Ross Laker bound.well it’d make sense but Im not sure what Wilt told Pelinka to do the other day at Brunch. 

• Like 1

Here's some vucevic math:

Vucevic was bad in fourth quarters and in clutch situations so when you're talking about replacing his offense you're talking about his gross production over an entire game and not a specific role as a closer. This is different from a guy like kemba who not only is 25 points (or whatever) to Charlotte but also fills the responsibility of "guy who gets us a bucket at the end of games". Vucevic wasn't that guy for us. Fournier and Ross were that. So you can kind of judge vucevic based on his numbers without multipliers. 

Fans look at vucevic's absence as replacing 20.5 points. But that's not really the right way to look at it. We're not replacing his total points. We're replacing the difference in scoring between vucevic and his replacements. 

A vucevic-Birch rotation last year got us about 27 ppg over 48 minutes. 

If we're set with a rotation next year of Bamba-Birch, Birch-Bamba, replacement level center-Bamba or Bamba-Birch-replacement level center I think the reasonable expectation of production from our center position on offense is 18 ppg from the entire rotation. 

So we're not really replacing 21ppg, we're replacing 9. 

How do we replace this 9? The biggest chunk is backup point guard. Briscoe during his best run got us 4.4 ppg inefficiently for 20mpg. Grant when he was backup got us pretty much the exact same production. Fultz when he plays averages 8ppg over 20mpg. So if Fultz plays a full season and is nothing more than the same inefficient but dynamic backup we're pretty much halfway there. If he can't play we need to find a capable backup. Nothing spectacular. Just a guy who can get a few buckets and not completely kill us by being in the game. 

The other half can be picked up by the rest of the rotation. Maybe Isaac takes a leap. Maybe everyone in the rotation not discussed above picks up an extra 0.8 ppg. Either way my point is there's a easy way to connect the dots and find a reasonable path to maintaining our scoring. 

Now you might say "vucevic meant so much to our offense, how would it be this easy to replace him?"

Well 1. We wouldn't run the same offense. 2. I think vucevic's impact on our offense is overstated. 

If we were overly reliant on vucevic's offense, our offensive efficiency would rise and fall in step with vucevic's. There's a pretty evident line separating vucevic's two seasons that I've discussed before. The first 25 games where he played like Dirk and the subsequent 55 games where he played like a normal vucevic season. Yet we had a much better offense after vucevic's decline. 

Why? Little things. Shifting from Grant to briscoe/MCW. Bamba to Birch. Simmons to iwundu. Isaac finding his shot. So I'm not sure little improvements can't fill a vucevic hole again. 

Ultimately the offense should take a small step back because of vucevic's reliability but I'm pretty confident that any gain in defense should cover the minor step backwards. 

• Upvote 4